Rolls-Royce Mechanical Engineer Interview Questions & Reviews

2.7

7 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Mount Vernon, OH
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mount Vernon, OH

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Rolls-Royce in April 2010.

Phone interview, was recruited directly by Rolls. Then they called me in and I had a series of three interviews. Took me to lunch and I was on my way.

Interview Questions
  • Routine and painless. There were no really unexpected questions.   View Answer
Aggressively negotiated salary and bonus.

Other Interview Reviews for Rolls-Royce

Anonymous Employee  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Rolls-Royce in September 2012.

I was contacted at end of August to do a phone screen with the HR department. After that, I did another phone interview with the hiring manager two weeks later. I did not hear back until late October due to hiring manager's personal issues. Overall, the experience was good but the process takes too long. They decided to move forward with an internal candidate.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really. Why do you want to work for Rolls Royce?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Rolls-Royce in October 2011.

Met the recruiters at my university's career fair. After introducing myself and speaking to the recruiter for 15 minutes I was invited to a mixer later that evening. After an hour at the mixer I departed and later received a phone call to interview with them on campus the following day. The interview was approximately 45 minutes long and consisted of mostly "what would you do if..." type questions following by open discussion.

Interview Questions
    • How would you explain a free body diagram to a non-engineer?   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Derby, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Derby, England (UK)

interviewed at Rolls-Royce in January 2012.

Online application form, assessment day including personal experience interview, group exercise and technical interview.

Interview Questions
    • Where does RR not operate and why might we have chosen not to do business there   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Peterborough, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peterborough, ON (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Rolls-Royce.

Very structured, pre-screen telephone call followed by face-to-face interview by line manager and department head.

Interview Questions
    • No real surprises, the questions were competency based interview questions with a desire to explore my technical knowledge in relation to the role. Recommend that potential candidates bring along work examples as this would help provide evidence to support answers.   Answer Question
    The minimum holiday entitlements were offered initially, however this is something that should be negotiated based on experience.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Filton, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in Filton, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Rolls-Royce in April 2011.

About 2 months after I applied online, I was contacted to have an interview on-site. The interview was with the team leader and another mechanical engineer. First they asked some competency questions (e.g. give an example of a work situation where you had to act differently). It was followed by some technical questions based on the understanding of their work. There was a part about the function of different parts of an engine assembly, and another shorter part about manufacturing processes.
    I was told that I would be contacted within 3 weeks. I actually had to chase them myself after 6 weeks to be told the process had been delayed. After a further 4 weeks I had to contact them again and was promised to be updated that same week. The week after, still having heard nothing, I called back and I was told on the telephone that I would receive an email with an update within half an hour. I received an email about 2 minutes later saying my application had been rejected with no explanation whatsoever!!! Needless to say my request for an explanation is at this day unanswered.
    I enjoyed the interview, the technical people were nice and the job sounded ok although restricted to a small area of knowledge. However the engineers were really let down by HR and this honestly put me off. I will rate this as a negative experience because overall it didn't give me a good image of the company.

The company has expanded recently and has a lot of buildings, however the building this job was in was quite old and derelict.

Interview Questions
    • Identify all the parts of a jet engine and explain their function   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Rolls-Royce in April 2010.

The Phone interview was a case of jumping through the hoops to proceed to the next round. i.e. why I want to work for Rolls Royce, why i chose to study engineering etc etc. Then a couple of mental arithmetic questions, some basic engineering problems and talking about my cv which i submitted online.

Interview Questions
    • Describe the degeneration process of carbon ceramic brake discs   View Answer

I received an offer from a preffered firm.

Worked for Rolls-Royce? Contribute to the Community!