Rolls-Royce Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated Mar 22, 2015

3.3

Manufacturing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Derby, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Rolls-Royce.

After On-line application and on-line tests there was an assessment centre.
    Group exercise-had to build bridge like structure
    Presentation about yourself
    Competency Interview- be sure to brush on knowledge about company in general
    Technical Interview - quite difficult, ask a lot of "what would you do" questions
    Re-do of on-line test
    Accommodation for night before paid for including breakfast and travel.

Machinist Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Rolls-Royce.

It was a competency based interview where I was asked to provide an example of each of the rolls royce competencies. I applied through the internal job board so they were aware of my background beforehand. A typical external interview would be a full assessment day. Some competencies are: team player, deals with ambiguity, influences others.

Interview Questions
    • A member of your team passes on a non-conforming part to the next cell in the production line. What do you do?   View Answer

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Derby, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Derby, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Rolls-Royce.

Simple online application with some questions. Followed by numerical and verbal online test. After this was invited to assessment centre in Derby.
    At the assessment centre had to redo the numerical test, then presentation about myself which I had prepared in advance and competency interview. After this, group exercise where we had to build a tower using paper, cups etc costing our material. After lunch technical interview where they ask you a question about a jet engine and a question about the performance of materials (stress/strain).

Interview Questions
    • Technical interview: temperature after the combustion chamber is found to be 50 degrees higher than usual, what might be the reason.
      Competency interview: tell us of a time in which you had to make a decision quickly.

Answer Question

Team Leader Interview

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Rolls-Royce.

HR and Technical Questions are asked by the Resource Manager. HR questions are based on Behavioural aspects and are similar for all departments. By contrast the technical ones are tailored to the job position the candidate is applying for

Interview Questions
    • Tell me About a Situation when you had to perform a job based on few inputs   Answer Question
    No negotiation phase

Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Rolls-Royce.

Consisted of an online application asking about the yourself and why you would like to work for the company. They want to see your drive and passion
    Psychometric Test - Numerical, Verbal and diagrammatic
    Assessment Center - Group task - Build a paper bridge; Presentation - sell yourself to the company( your skills and talent). Numerical test. Technical Interview - about engines graphs and tables - methods of increasing efficiency etc

Interview Questions
    • Some difficult questions; know about the the companies economical and environmental challenges, statistics and jet engines   Answer Question

Supply Chain Compliance Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Rolls-Royce.

First, you complete an online application. Then receive an email to complete 5 online tests. If successful, you are invited to an assessment centre, where you will have two interviews, a case to solve within a group, more tests, and a finally you will need to prepare a presentation about yourself.

Project Manager (12 Month Placement) Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Rolls-Royce.

The assessment centre consists of six parts:
    1) At the beginning of the day you will have a chance to have a tea/coffee with interviewers and fellow candidates. It is important that you talk to both of them; the former to break the ice even before the interview and having some conversation with other candidates might help you for the group exercise.

2) Competency based interview: they will first go through your CV and ask you what kind of skills you acquired during your previous work experience. The they will ask two or three questions on skills that Rolls Royce feels important. And finally, questions about Rolls Royce.

3) Group exercise: you are divided in two groups. In my case we had to move some marbles from one side of the table without touching them using plastic cups and paper. I was quite surprised that this was a practical task and not, for example a case study.
    This is probably the most important part of the assessment centre. Unless you do really badly in the other steps of the process, if you shine in this you will get the job.
    Remember its not about the task (I was told that nobody actually managed to complete successfully the task), but about how you relate to others. You need to show your leadership and persuasion skills. They also greatly value if you take the first few minutes planning your tasks. Planning is what project management is about. Time keeping is also essential. It would be a good idea if you brought a stopwatch with you (no phones).

4) Buffet lunch with interviewers and candidates.

5) Psychometric test: these are paper based and similar the ones you did online. Nobody ever manages to finish all questions in the set time but the vast majority manages to pass the threshold. Questions have a similar format to the online tests. Questions are negatively marked so don't answer questions that you are not sure about.

6) Competency based interview: this is the interview you need to seriously prepare for. Get a book on essentials of project management from your university library and learn the principles. They will give you 8 pre-set questions. An example question could be: You are a product manager and the main suppliers are located in France, Poland and Israel?. However questions change all the time so there is no point listing them. The best way to prepare is to study a book about project management principles.

Overall this assessment centre was challenging but very well organized. Everyone was really friendly and the interviewers try to prompt you and help you during the interview.
    Even if you don't get the job this assessment centre is a great learning experience.

Interview Questions
    • What recent news might affect our business?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about what kind of projects Rolls Royce runs.   View Answer
    • You are a product manager. The main suppliers of the product you are developing are located in France, Poland and Israel. What challenges could you face and how would go about to address those?   Answer Question

Supply Chain Management Placement Interview

Anonymous Employee in Derby, England (UK)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Rolls-Royce in January 2015.

CV and Covering letter, then an Assessment Centre. The assessment centre consisted of: a presentation about yourself, followed by a competency interview. Then psychometric tests, then a group assessment. This was followed by lunch and a chance to chat with members of staff, and then finally an 'application of knowledge' interview.

Interview Questions
    • The competency interview surprised me as it was mainly questions about rolls royce, things like who are their customers, why rolls royce and things like that. I only had two competency questions at the end and i think one was about how i have influenced a decision or influenced someone. The psychometric tests were okay, they are very similar to the practice tests they send out so make sure you practice them. The group assessment was three different business scenarios that you would have to look at and pitch one of the ideas to the assessors. Unfortunately this task did not go well for me, i was put on the accounting part of the task, and at that point i should have made a point to change the role as accounting isn't my strongest point. Therefore this left me unable to present all the information that was needed regarding the finance and was quite embarrassing and frustrating. Make sure you work well as a team, but also make sure that you understand the task and work as a group to ensure that everyone is doing a role that they are comfortable with. I then had an application of knowledge interview, which asked a lot of questions about rolls royce, the share price, what things in the news cause challenges for the company, what factors effect the company, what do you think you would be doing on a day to day basis in the role etc.   Answer Question

Engineering Placement Interview

Anonymous Employee in Derby, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Rolls-Royce in January 2015.

There was an individual interview with a presentation, a technical interview and a group activity. The individual interview was ok, be sure to mention the skills you developed/used when answering questions. Technical interview was complicated, pushed me to the limit. At one point I had to explain in laymen terms a certain engineering principle, I chose aliasing. The group exercise is fun, don't worry about it. Be sure to work well with your team.

Human Resources Graduate Management Scheme Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Rolls-Royce in December 2014.

Applied online for the HR graduate programme at RR with a couple of typical questions, such as why do you want to work for us, etc. Got an email to complete the online tests and was successful. Got invited to the assessment day, where there were only 5 of us. It took place in Derby and was a full-day intensive experience. The group was divided and we each went to a separate room with a different invigilator to complete a task. The first one was a business case study, 30 pages long, read it within 30 mins and come up with top key business issues, strategies to resolve these and how to link with HR. After that got another individual exercise to assess your leadership skills. Was also asked to complete the numerical test again. Had a presentation about myself and an interview. At the end we all had the group exercise and we had to pitch in front of the whole HR team that was there on the day.

Interview Questions
    • How could HR help to solve the key business problems of the company? (during the individual case study exercise)   Answer Question