Room & Board Interview Questions

Updated Sep 10, 2014
Updated Sep 10, 2014

2.8

Part Time Sales Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Room & Board.

I was interviewed by four people, two of whom seemed a little artificial, the other two seemed genuine. The interview questions concerned how I would handle a customer's indecision and how I might advance them to a sale.

Interview Questions
    • How would you convince an undecided customer to make a purchase?   Answer Question

Design Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Room & Board.

Like everyone, I submitted an online application and was called by someone in HR for a phone interview that was like chatting with a good friend for nearly an hour. I was then invited to an interview in a hotel lobby (for new store opening in my city) where I moved from one interview to the next, and again had the feeling that this was more friendly conversation than formal interview. A surprisingly long--and fun--process.

Interview Questions
    • We work in a team environment. As a team member, what do you bring to the table?   Answer Question
    There really was no negotiating. I came with a lot of experience and this was a pretty steep pay cut, but felt that if R&B really was the kind of company they appeared to be, a lower salary would be worth it. It was and is.

Team Leader In Distribution Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Room & Board in November 2012.

In depth interview process. I first had a phone interview with an HR representative, only a preliminary get to know you type of call, then met with the distribution center manager for an hour, then another phone meeting with a different HR rep, then interviewed with the retail store manager, then finally with the district manager over the phone. A bit daunting, but I feel vital to the process to make sure people are genuine, fit the culture, and truly blend in with the established team already in place.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions, but a bit unexpected that most questions revolved around philosophy, versus previous work experience. If you do not believe you culturally fit into the descriptions on the website, best to just move on.   View Answer
    The offer was more than fair and I was excited to take it. By the end of the process, I wanted to work here so bad, I probably would have taken less just to be a part of Room & Board.

Design Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Room & Board.

There were multiple interviews over a 2 month time period for this position. We had a phone interview, then a group interview, a more personal interview with the management, a final interview that lasted almost 4 hours where I met with multiple members of the team.

Interview Questions
    • When I read the job description it said that you needed to be able to prepare a "portfolio" for clients so I spent a lot of time updating my design portfolio for the interview. Only one person looked at it and seemed surprised I had brought it. ":portfolio" is the word they use for a paper sales quote which is just a list of items a customer would like to purchase at a later date. When I was asked about my comfort with portfolios and I took out my portfolio of past design projects it was an awkward moment I wish I could have avoided.   View Answer
    I did not negotiate and actually asked for a salary at the lower end of what was posted on this site and was made a substantially higher offer. Others that were hired the same time as me that negotiated upon getting an offer said that they were met n the middle of their initial offer, however I feel the end amount was close to the same.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Costa Mesa, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Costa Mesa, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Room & Board in June 2014.

Applied online. Got a call two weeks later from HR in MN. Spoke over the phone and then was set up with an in store interview with SIX people. The in store interviews took over four hours and were draining to say the least. Same questions over and over again. I was also asked unethical questions like " do you have kids" and "where are you from" , where does my family live, where are my parents from..nothing to do with job description whatsoever. I felt uncomfortable answering these questions and couldn't help wonder if there is discrimination. The company is great - the employees who do the interviewing need coaching on ethical and appropriate questions to ask during an interview. It seems they are looking to find someone they will get along, and go along with their established work style rather than someone who can benefit the company.Each one asked same questions and voiced same interest, which is to find someone who's personality is a good fit. Strangely no one asked about sales experience, design , service, painting, marketing and many other qualities. It was mostly personal related questions. I am excited about the company regardless of these bad interview questions.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have kids? Where are you from? those questions made me feel very uncomfortable   Answer Question

Design Associate Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Room & Board.

I applied online for a Design Associate and received no response. The next week I saw an add for an "open house" for the position and decided to attend. When I got there we were split into two large groups and taken around the showroom my a design leader. They explained the culture, a high level view of what the position was and asked a few very generic questions (Where do you work now and how would you describe your design style). I got a call back for a first round interview where I met with the 3 store leaders for approximately a half hour. I got a call back for a 2nd interview and met again with 3-4 other associates.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult. Tell me about a time you went above and beyond for a customer.   Answer Question

several interviews. long

Interview Questions
    no negotiation. Ask for what you need upfront

SAP Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Golden Valley, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Golden Valley, MN

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Room & Board in December 2013.

The interview process was fairly smooth. I applied on the company website and conducted a phone interview about a week later. I was brought in for an in person interview with the hiring manager and HR manager. Pretty typical interview, HR Manager focused on behavioral questions while hiring manager focused on technical questions. The hiring manager asked a lot of repeat questions which kind of threw me off. Overall a typical experience.

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Room & Board.

It was a pretty easy interview process. They were professional. Ultimately no growth for upward movement.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Costa Mesa, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Costa Mesa, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Room & Board in June 2008.

Went through 12 interviews-a combination of phone interviews, in person one-on-one interviews, and round robin style interviews. Most questions were pretty standard and not creative. Was interviewed by a manager who was fired before they finished the hiring process, only to be interviewed by the new manager on his second day. No reflection on his qualifications, but how would he even know what he was looking for? Would have made more sense to have a more tenured employee interview potential candidates. Official offer letter stayed true to salary and vacation/benefit terms, but not scheduling terms.

Interview Questions
    • One interviewer didn't ask any questions, just sat silently in front of me. It's a somewhat good tactic to get people to reveal more information, but it wasn't executed well. Hint: You have to ask a question first, otherwise it's just creepy.   Answer Question
    Normal. Offer over the phone as Central office is located in MN. Negotiated salary. Offer letter sent in mail and receive next day.

Worked for Room & Board? Contribute to the Community!