Room to Read

7 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Intern Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Room to Read.

Interview Details – Interviewed through college/university. Interview was very personable and informal. I got to tour the office and experience the intricacies of a corporate non-profit atmosphere. I would highly recommend applying for this position.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you exemplified leadership in a business setting.   Answer Question

Development Manager Interview

Development Manager

I applied online and interviewed at Room to Read.

Interview Details – Found job available on craigslist. Room to Read has a great reputation here in San Francisco. You will work extremely hard with a group of intelligent, enthusiastic colleagues who give everything to their work. My interview process took about 10 weeks from start to finish as I had to meet with multiple people in various time zones and do a ten minute presentation.

Interview Question – Business cases about how to handle difficult colleagues/clients.   Answer Question

Development Analyst
San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Room to Read in February 2013.

Interview Details – Phone interview

Interview Question – What is your salary range   View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Easy Interview

Intern Interview

San Francisco, CA

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Room to Read.

Interview Details – Contacted organization with interest to intern. Got prompt response from HR, which led to 1 phone interview with HR and 1 phone interview with program manager. Discussed mainly about interest and past experience, as well as potential assignment during internship.

Interview Question – No difficult or unexpected question. Basic question about resume and past experience.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Room to Read in October 2011.

Interview Details – Sent in resume and cover letter, heard back for a phone interview about 1-2 weeks later. The HR individual scheduled me for a phone interview with the recruiter a few days later. The interview screening was typical with questions about my interest in the position, as well as behavioral.

Finance Analyst Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Room to Read in June 2012.

Interview Details – I have never been so pleased by the whole end to end interview process until now. The position was contract and they were upfront about how the position would work before the initial phone screen even began. Everyone I met was extremely nice and was very excited to be working at Room to Read. They gave me an Excel skills test just to make sure I was qualified to do what I say I did. They always said "we'll get back to you by x" and always contacted me on that day. They sold me on the job, the company and the people there.

Interview Questions

• What is it about the non profit mission that inspires you?   Answer Question
  • Describe your technical skill sets that you can bring to the finance role.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Since it was contract, there was a time issue that came up and I was unable to work the full 40 hours a week. They said I could even work the reduced hours but I financially couldn't make that happen. I have never turned down a job I wanted until that day. I hope that somewhere down the line another opportunity like this comes around.

Development Analyst Interview

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Room to Read in November 2011.

Interview Details – After applying online, I received a call 2 weeks later and had a phone interview. it consisted of regular behavioral questions (such as Why this job? Why development? What experiences do you have?). Afterwards, I was scheduled for an in-person interview at the headquarters a week later. It consisted of 2 1:1 interviews with fellow members of the team (question were more about fit and team members). One week later, I was scheduled for a 5 hour interview session with 6 team members. 2 could not make it though so it was 4 1:1 interviews with similar questions from each one. More of general conversation and fit again. Then, they contacted all 3 references I had as well as scheduled 2 phone interviews with the last two team members.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – Received other job offer from another firm

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Room to Read? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Room to Read interview questions and advice. All 7 interview reviews posted anonymously by Room to Read employees and interview candidates.