Ropes & Gray

14 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Practice Development Assistant Interview

Practice Development Assistant

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Ropes & Gray in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online at Ropes & Gray and was contacted around 2-3 weeks later for a phone screening interview. The interview went pretty smooth. I was asked some questions related to my past positions on my resume, how I felt doing certain things on those jobs, what was the most challenging tasks, etc. I wasn't called back for an in-person interview, and I think it's because I was ask if I was interviewing or having offers at different companies, and I said no.

Interview Question – What were the most challenging tasks? Are you interviewing with other companies?   Answer Question

Paralegal Interview

Paralegal

The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Ropes & Gray.

Interview Details – One informal interview and then two interviews via video conference with Chicago and NY office. Still waiting to hear but overall it was a very positive experience regardless of outcome.

Interview Question – What is your greatest weakness   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Associate
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Ropes & Gray in September 2010.

Interview Details – Standard on-campus interview process, beginning in law schools and ending in a large hotel. Ropes doesn't do anything differently in this respect than other law firms -- though they do make an effort to align your interviewers with your background and interests more than other firms I've seen. Also, I interviewed in September 2008, but that isn't a choice available from the drop-down below, meaning that it incorrectly reads September 2010.

Interview Question – What practice group do you want to be in? (difficult, given that few second-year law students have had exposure to the full array of practice groups, and you're expected to be precise and reasoned)   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Technical Advisor Interview

Technical Advisor

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Ropes & Gray.

Interview Details – There are two rounds. First round interviews are held on Campus and are generally behavioral. I was asked to talk about myself and my interests. The interviewer was an alumni and was trying to see whether I would fit in the culture and work environment of the firm. The second round interviews are generally held on site at their offices.

Interview Question – Describe this project as if you are explaining it to a 10 year old kid.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Ropes & Gray.

Interview Details – Standard law-firm hiring and interview process, with no surprises here. Ropes tries to match the market in all respects, and does so when admitting or selecting new law students to its summer class. They provide perhaps less flexibility than other firms in terms of permitting incoming summer associates to choose their office location, but this shouldn't deter anyone.

Interview Question – What practice group do you want to work in (difficult because, when you're in law school, you're exposed to almost none of the practice areas in which big law firms work).   Answer Question

Conflicts Analyst Interview

Conflicts Analyst
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Ropes & Gray in December 2012.

Interview Details – Submitted a resume on the firm website and was called first for a phone screen, then passed on for an in-person interview. The process consisted of a meeting with the conflicts manager and a panel interview with several members of the conflicts department.

Interview Question – Was not actually asked that many questions, much of the interview consisted of descriptions of the job.   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Summer Associate
New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at Ropes & Gray in August 2011.

Interview Details – I got a callback from OCI, interviewed with 5 people, and got an offer.

Interview Question – Why Ropes & Gray?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation for this job.

Summer Associate Interview

Summer Associate
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Ropes & Gray in August 2011.

Interview Details – I signed up through the on-campus recruiting at my law school, and secured an interview following a review of my resume. The first 30-min interview was very casual and relaxed, and the interviewer was amazing - very friendly and supportive. I secured a "call back" which consisted of a 15-min meeting with my original interviewer who was supposed to be my support for the day - he was fantastic in that he gave me advice on how to handle the interviews for the day. I then had 4 30-min meetings with mid-level associates (1), partners (3), and then a 2 hour lunch with two first year associates. Within 48 hours I was then called and offered the job.

Interview Question – What is it about Ropes & Gray that speaks to you directly?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Has not taken place yet.

Scientific Advisor Interview

Scientific Advisor
Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Ropes & Gray in January 2010.

Interview Details – I submitted a resume via a friend working in the New York office. I was contacted a month or so later about a position in the Boston office. I was interviewed first via video phone by a partner. I was asked to describe my research experience in terms a non-specialist could understand. The second part of the interview was with an associate from the Boston office and was more informal. We mainly chatted about research and working at different types of firms. Questions about the job and its responsibilities were encouraged. The interviewers seemed to be looking for a candidate that understood the responsibilities and commitments of a technology specialist/scientific advisor position very well.

Interview Questions

Technical Advisor Interview

Technical Advisor

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Ropes & Gray.

Interview Details – It was very basic. They asked about my background, why I am interested in this job. Then they asked me to ask some questions. I wasn't very into this position, so I didn't prepare for this interview. After talking to them, I found that this job needs you to spend lots of time compile files and file reports.

Interview Question – Why are you interested in this job?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Ropes & Gray

Worked for Ropes & Gray? Contribute to the Community!