Rosenthal Collins

Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Rosenthal Collins in August 2008.

Interview Details – After an initial phone interview to get general questions answered (why this company/industry, strengths and weaknesses, etc), I was called in to meet with members of the development team. I was first interviewed by the Development Manager to ask and be asked questions about the position and my experience. Then, the Development Manager left and sent in a couple of the experienced developers working under him. They proceeded to do a quick technical interview, asking questions such as how I might solve a specific problem and questions to test my knowledge of the framework (.NET) and languages (C#, ASP.NET, etc).

The next step of the process was a meeting with the Development Manager and CIO to discuss the systems in place, what the position would entail, whether I was prepared to work in the hectic environment of trading systems development, and salary.

Interview Question – How would you tackle a technical problem to which you don't know the solution.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was asked for my desired salary during the final interview. Being just out of college with 3 years experience in software development, I asked for the range of 60k-65k. I received a callback with an offer within the following days of 50k and an opportunity to re-negotiate for my desired range in six months pending a performance review. I accepted, and the result of the performance review six months later was a decline, stating that the 50k salary fit the position and my responsibilities, and was in line with similar positions in the area.

Suggestion to interviewees: do not take an offer based on a future opportunity to get your desired range. If you have reasons for choosing a range, stick with it and don't give yourself the chance at marking your career path with a lower than desired salary, especially if it effects your motivation to perform in your job.

Worked for Rosenthal Collins? Contribute to the Community!