Rosetta Stone

Updated Dec 10, 2014

2.8

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Rosetta Stone.

A day long interview consisting of an independent programming test followed by multiple interviews with multiple senior developers and management. You are asked all sorts of questions to make sure you understand the basics like data types, linked lists, sorting, etc all the way up to advanced questions on design patterns and algorithm design.

The entire process took a few weeks with large periods of not hearing anything. The company loses a lot of potentially good candidates because the hiring process is too slow.

Interview Questions
    • Multiple programming questions about a wide variety of topics. You will be asked anything from logic puzzles to whiteboard algorithm questions to database designs.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. I was offered a base salary and bonus, and I took the offer.

Director of Marketing Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Rosetta Stone in April 2013.

Initial contact made by HR. Very disappointed in the level of HR professionalism from the start! Error-plagued emails, confusion over time and title, etc. At one point the HR recruiter missed our appointment time. When I emailed her after 15 minutes, she responded immediately that she'd been in a meeting and unable to get away. Good morning sweetie! Did I wake you up?

Luckily, once you get past HR, if you are really patient--I went a couple months between rounds--you will get to someone better. The leadership that I spoke with were very knowledgable and professional marketers. Not the friendliest types of folks, but I think that is a reflection of the difficult culture at the company.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't make it to the final round--for reasons still unclear to me--but there were no unexpected questions that I recall. In retrospect, I should have been more dismissive of the challenges of the role. In other words, management wants someone that can come in and instantly take over (presumably, so they don't have to do as much). Obviously, this is not realistic--there is ALWAYS a learning curve. In short, don't be humble! Act like you have all the answers and you'll get further.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Rosetta Stone in March 2013.

i was informed to have a call interview after sending out my resume a week. The recruiter was nice and professional. She asked my salary expectation and how much I made in my previous job in details. After the interview she told me that they my not be able to move forward my application.

Interview Questions
    • They really focus on knowing your salary expectation. If you really want to work for this company, you may need to make sure not to ask too high salary.   Answer Question

Proposal Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rosslyn, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rosslyn, VA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Rosetta Stone in March 2013.

My prospective manager was pushy and aggressive. She seemed interested only in her agenda and was impatient when I asked questions (about 7 questions in total) about the job. I politely declined moving forward in the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Can't remember. None of their questions were difficult to answer. No surprises.   Answer Question

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Harrisonburg, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Harrisonburg, VA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Rosetta Stone in June 2012.

Was an outside contractor and hired into the company to fulfill an ongoing need.

Interview Questions
    • If you were in charge, how would you handle this?   View Answer
    Offered me a salaried position and I accepted.

Search Engine Marketer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Rosetta Stone in February 2012.

Job was posted for some time - delays with the holidays. Two HR phone interviews, director video Skype interview, then they flew final four to HQ (on separate days). They put us up at the hotel right across the street - covering food, travel and room.

Full day interview. Met with last SEM for a half hour. Met with another digital marketer for a half hour. Had lunch with the team. Met with marketing manager and director for another round. Then left to work on 3 questions / problems to present to the team of about 8 at the end of the day.

Great team environment. The lunch time discussion showed their passion for (internet) marketing. Everyone seemed to really love their work.

While I had enough skill and passion to get to the final four - clearly I lacked enough experience with monthly ad spends of their size :(

Interview Questions
    • They left me with 3 questions / problems:
      1) Create sample email - Replying to trade show vendor
      2) Create a "sample" FB ad for Mothers day :)
      3) Given a set of PPC data - optimize for various conditions (More clicks / ROI / etc)

Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Rosetta Stone in July 2011.

A manager from one of my former jobs had a girlfriend who was a manager at Rosetta Stone. I was lucky in that I didn't have to submit an application until about three months after I started. She called me for the interview off her boyfriend's referral and offered me the job after we talked for a few minutes and found that we got along well. A few months later she left the company for a better position and was replaced. I'm not sure how the typical hiring process is.

Interview Questions
    Find out the straight facts about commission. I managed to get hired at $9 an hour when other associates were making less. Just be friendly and confident.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Rosetta Stone in January 2011.

I went through 4 phone interviews, and 2 on site interviews. Two of the phone interviews were technical and one included a live programming exercise. The first one site interview was very technical and also included a live programming exercise, and the 2nd interview was a 3 hour Topgrading behavioral interview. I had to pay a pretty high parking fee for both on site interviews for which I was not reimbursed. I heard nothing but positive things from throughout the interview process. A week or two after the last interview I hadn't heard from them and when I reached out they asked for a portfolio, something which isn't really normal in my field. After all of this, they didn't even have the courtesy to call me or email me in person that I was denied. They just sent me a form email. I was floored...

Interview Questions
    • There were some ACM technical problems I had to solve on the first on site interview. This was a live coding exercise in the language of my choice.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Rosetta Stone in January 2011.

the hiring process was pretty easy. just seem enthusiastic to sale the product and show that you can reach quotas. look professional, clean and personable. you'll get the job.

minimum wage plus commission

Customer Care Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Rosetta Stone in January 2011.

The interview was a bit impersonal. We were not a mutual fit.