Ross Stores Area Supervisor Interview Questions

Updated Jul 15, 2015

2.2

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Ross Stores (Houston, TX) in July 2015.

Interview

Basically she calls me for an interview and asked what position am I looking for. I'm thinking obviously the one I applied for but I told her only supervisor positions. After that she sets up my interview for the job I applied for. I waited about 10 to 15 minutes until a employee started walking me to her and the loss prevention guy was watching me like I was going to steal something. She asks me to tell her about my previous experiences and why i left those jobs and then tells me I'm not qualified for the supervisor position something she could have told me when she called. This place is 40 minutes away from my house I could have saved gas if she was honest enough to tell me at first. She then started to offer me sales associate position and front end supervisor. I was just looking for either a second job or a replacement job and since she wasn't giving me what I applied for I wasn't going to quit my job for that job and they pay less. So we talked a little more and she walked me out and during her walking with me she tells me would i change my hair color. She says ross is a "professional" environment and I would be the last thing customers see. Mind you I am already a supervisor in retail with purple and blue hair so why would I change it for a new job and a lower position. No Way..

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for us?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Ross Stores

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sierra Vista, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ross Stores (Sierra Vista, AZ) in May 2015.

Interview

I saw the opening on indeed applied, then called the store, and talked to Lori store manager went.in 2 days later for interview was set up for a.district.manager that Thursday, that afternoon was.told.they wanted.to run.my background. All in all took about 2 weeks

Interview Questions

• In other job what have you done when.you and.another co-worker did not get along   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation needed I was offered a fair salary, for my experience

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ross Stores (Tucson, AZ) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online, a week later received a call saying they wanted me to come for an interview. I have 2 interviews, the first one was with the assistant manager, a very easy interview it last about 20 minutes. 3 days later they called me for a second interview, this time with the general manager, the same easy questions : Why do you want to work for Ross? , How do you handle stress and pressure? ,etc. They offered me the job in the second interview, but first they needed to do a background check.

Interview Questions

• What were the best and worst things about your previous jobs?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gulfport, MS

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Ross Stores (Gulfport, MS) in February 2015.

Interview

Very long and extensive, approximately 7-8weeks interview process, 1 interview a week, first with ASM, than 2 store managers one was with another city store, than finally a phone interview with the district manager

Interview Questions

• Basic questions, availability, how you handle pressure, how would you contribute if hired   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Ross Stores (Houston, TX) in September 2014.

Interview

I was called in by the DM It went well and very fast ask how would i handle rude customers just a interview like any other interview was offered the job on the spot

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with a rude employee   1 Answer

Negotiation

It was really no negotiation i did not try to negotiate the pay wes good with me

Anonymous Employee in Harrisburg, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Ross Stores (Harrisburg, PA) in August 2013.

Interview

I received an e-mail saying that there was an Full-Time Area Supervisor position open, I decided to apply and heard back within 6 days. My interview was scheduled for 1:00pm and I arrived approx. 10 mins. early; the interviewer was notified and I waited about 15 minutes for her to come get me. In the interview they asked me the normal questions that everyone expects in a job interview such as :"Tell me about a time when you've had to deal with an angry customer..." and "What were the best and worst things about your previous jobs?" At the end of the interview the interviewer told me that the position I applied for was never open and that I was actually being interviewed for a Part-Time Sales Associate position at minimum wage. I was flabbergasted, I applied for and came to interview for an entry level management position and they tell me the position was never available in the first place? I felt I was brought there under false pretenses, I think they must have thought I was absolutely desperate for any job I could get. I was actually insulted, my experience does not denote that I would just accept a Part-Time position at minimum wage. Needless to say I will not ever be working for Ross.

Interview Questions

There was no respect. I applied for an Entry Level Management position and they offer me Part-Time retail work at minimum wage? No way would I accept that.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Ross Stores (Houston, TX) in August 2013.

Interview

Was informed about opening in store for Area Supervisor, asked for interview, interview was set up within a couple of days, interview lasted probably 15 minutes. Interviews for lower positions too easy compared to this one.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Nothing was negotiated. Not even pay.

Area Supervisor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Ross Stores.

Interview

Multiple in person and phone interviews. The process drug on for a long time

Interview Questions

• You have no retail experience, why should we hire you for this position?   Answer Question

Negotiation

You can always negotiate to some extent

Area Supervisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Ross Stores in October 2012.

Interview

Hard to reach District manager who saw my application and left me a message for an interview. Erin Hale. Played phone tag. Finally had interview in a local store (very crowded and dirty AP office?) was asked to drive 30 mins to another store for meet and greet with the proposed boss (store manager) would I drive for more money? I was offered .50$ more an hour for 30 minute commute.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about what you are working on in your own management style. (I had been unemployed for awhile before this job) I made something up on the fly and it worked.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Naively I accepted .50$ for a 30 min commute, when a location was 3 minutes from my house. I didn't realize I could negotiate this.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Ross Stores (Tampa, FL) in March 2012.

Interview

As far as interviews go, it was rather informal. The format and questions were kind of made up on the spot, which isn't bad, but it shows that interviewing is inconsistant at Ross. This isn't necessarily the managers fault, because it takes strong corporate guidelines and training to implement consistant hiring practices company wide. Specifically, I wish the job in question was discussed more thoroughly, such as the level of responsibility, expectations, what is accomplished on a daily, weekly, monthly basis, etc. What was asked about and seemed important was: Relevant experience (working in retail previously), leadership (being able to supervise others and getting things accomplished), willingness to learn and be involved with any part of the store (as a man, I don't mind working womens, mens, childrens, etc).

Interview Questions

• How do you handle difficult employees? What do you do when you are having a hard time getting work done with an employee?   Answer Question