Ross Stores

Updated Oct 15, 2014

2.3

8 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Ross Stores in September 2014.

I was called in by the DM It went well and very fast ask how would i handle rude customers just a interview like any other interview was offered the job on the spot

Interview Questions
  • How would you deal with a rude employee   View Answer
It was really no negotiation i did not try to negotiate the pay wes good with me

Other Interview Reviews for Ross Stores

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Harrisburg, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Harrisburg, PA

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Ross Stores in August 2013.

I received an e-mail saying that there was an Full-Time Area Supervisor position open, I decided to apply and heard back within 6 days. My interview was scheduled for 1:00pm and I arrived approx. 10 mins. early; the interviewer was notified and I waited about 15 minutes for her to come get me. In the interview they asked me the normal questions that everyone expects in a job interview such as :"Tell me about a time when you've had to deal with an angry customer..." and "What were the best and worst things about your previous jobs?" At the end of the interview the interviewer told me that the position I applied for was never open and that I was actually being interviewed for a Part-Time Sales Associate position at minimum wage. I was flabbergasted, I applied for and came to interview for an entry level management position and they tell me the position was never available in the first place? I felt I was brought there under false pretenses, I think they must have thought I was absolutely desperate for any job I could get. I was actually insulted, my experience does not denote that I would just accept a Part-Time position at minimum wage. Needless to say I will not ever be working for Ross.

Interview Questions

There was no respect. I applied for an Entry Level Management position and they offer me Part-Time retail work at minimum wage? No way would I accept that.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Ross Stores in August 2013.

Was informed about opening in store for Area Supervisor, asked for interview, interview was set up within a couple of days, interview lasted probably 15 minutes. Interviews for lower positions too easy compared to this one.

Interview Questions
    Nothing was negotiated. Not even pay.

Area Supervisor Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Ross Stores.

Multiple in person and phone interviews. The process drug on for a long time

Interview Questions
    • You have no retail experience, why should we hire you for this position?   Answer Question
    You can always negotiate to some extent

Area Supervisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Ross Stores in October 2012.

Hard to reach District manager who saw my application and left me a message for an interview. Erin Hale. Played phone tag. Finally had interview in a local store (very crowded and dirty AP office?) was asked to drive 30 mins to another store for meet and greet with the proposed boss (store manager) would I drive for more money? I was offered .50$ more an hour for 30 minute commute.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about what you are working on in your own management style. (I had been unemployed for awhile before this job) I made something up on the fly and it worked.   View Answer
    Naively I accepted .50$ for a 30 min commute, when a location was 3 minutes from my house. I didn't realize I could negotiate this.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Ross Stores in March 2012.

As far as interviews go, it was rather informal. The format and questions were kind of made up on the spot, which isn't bad, but it shows that interviewing is inconsistant at Ross. This isn't necessarily the managers fault, because it takes strong corporate guidelines and training to implement consistant hiring practices company wide.

Specifically, I wish the job in question was discussed more thoroughly, such as the level of responsibility, expectations, what is accomplished on a daily, weekly, monthly basis, etc.

What was asked about and seemed important was: Relevant experience (working in retail previously), leadership (being able to supervise others and getting things accomplished), willingness to learn and be involved with any part of the store (as a man, I don't mind working womens, mens, childrens, etc).

Interview Questions
    • How do you handle difficult employees? What do you do when you are having a hard time getting work done with an employee?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Ross Stores in March 2012.

Through interviews with store manager and then district manager.

Interview Questions
    We negotiated on wage rate and promotion options and time frame

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Ross Stores in September 2009.

Very easy system. Initial phone screening, interview with store manager and the a follow up with the district manager. I was hired and started work in less than ten days from the time of the phone screening.

Interview Questions
    • Typical questions regarding my background. Difficult situations I had handled in the past. etc.   Answer Question
    I was offered more than I had expected given the company's reputation.