Ross Stores Assistant Buyer Interview Questions

3.2

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Interview

I first met with an HR manager after she found me on LinkedIn. Questions were pretty standard, though she did test me on my fashion trend knowledge. About a week later, I met with one of the Buyers. She was extremely nice, and the interview was pretty easy-going.

Interview Questions

• During my second interview, we played a "rate yourself" game. I would suggest thinking carefully before rating yourself, so that you seem confident yet also a bit self-critical.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Ross Stores

Assistant Buyer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Ross Stores.

Interview

Very long interview process-- took about 3 months and they were very vague as to when an answer would be reached. I didn't end up getting the job because all available jobs were being saved for college graduates and interns in order for the company to save money.

Assistant Buyer Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Ross Stores.

Interview

successfully completed the internship program and was hired on the spot. Recommend the internship if you are just finishing college.

Interview Questions

• The interview itself was fairly harmless. The packet of merchandising mathematics I had to complete in 15 minutes was unexpected. Bring a calculator!   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Ross Stores (New York, NY) in February 2012.

Interview

First I interviewed with a rep from HR over the phone; they were accommodating to the fact that I couldn't make it in person, since I was on vacation. After that, she asked to schedule an in-person interview. When I went to the in-person interview, I interviewed with about 4 people from various departments in the office. When I accepted my offer, it was in a department with one of the people i interviewed with. I liked the environment and the nature of the interviews: they were as enthusiastic about this position as I was. It was fun...I start tomorrow, so hopefully it turns out great !

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you failed and how you learned from it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ross Stores (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2012.

Interview

I applied online and got a call about 2 weeks later. I got a phone call saying they would like to interview me for the assistant buyer intern position, I was scheduled to come in the following week. I was interviewed by one lady in a small office 1:1. I was mostly asked things about school and my classes. The questions seemed to try and get you to tell how your classes could help you in the internship.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about classes you have taken.   Answer Question
    • What was your least/favorite class? What do you like to do for fun?   Answer Question
    • What are some things that are in style right now? When did you figure out you wanted to be a buyer?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a project you did where you had to solve a problem.   1 Answer
    • Do you consider yourself trendy? What makes you want to be a buyer? What do you know about a buyers position?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Ross Stores (New York, NY) in February 2011.

Interview

After leaving my job at Macy's the first week of Feb I had an interview with Ross the following week. The corporate recruiter contacted me the week before to set up the interview, she didn't tell me exactly where she found my information but at the time I did not think to ask. I met her at their office in the high 30's and Broadway. Very nice building. I filled out an application (not sure why); never filled out an application for a corporate job, seems silly to me. I went in and we went over some basic information - past experience, what I learned from them, what would my previous bosses say about me, strengths, weaknesses, and some situational questions (what would you do if, how would you react in this situation, etc). The interviewer was very difficult! She was firing questions at me, not waiting for me to finish my last syllable. It made me so nervous I didn't answer some questions as I wanted to. The interview lasted about an hour. I thought it went pretty well despite me answering some questions wrong. They decided to fill the position from within which is annoying to say the least.

Interview Questions

• What was one of the biggest challenges you faced at your previous job? How did you handle it? Did you require any help from your colleagues?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Ross Stores (New York, NY) in August 2010.

Interview

I interviewed with HR first and they basically went over my resume, discussed why I wanted the position, and what interested me about off-price buying. After this interview, I was called into a second interview with HR. The follow up interview seemed to be more geared to finding the right department/direct report fit. I took a short retail math test during my second visit. I then returned to interview with two buyers, two DMMs, and a VP of the division before they decided to hire me. They seemed happy and all of the people within the division appeared to have close personal ties. It was a long process, but it wasn't ulcer-inducing and probing like many interviews I've had at other companies.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to work in a group to solve a problem.   Answer Question
    • What interests you about off-price buying?   Answer Question

Negotiation

For an entry-level position, there wasn't much room for negotiation. But the compensation was fair.

Assistant Buyer Interview

Interview

The hiring process takes a very long time so be ready to take multiple interviews and for the process to take several months.