Ross Stores

Average Difficulty
8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Ross Stores

Interview Details – I first met with an HR manager after she found me on LinkedIn. Questions were pretty standard, though she did test me on my fashion trend knowledge. About a week later, I met with one of the Buyers. She was extremely nice, and the interview was pretty easy-going.

Interview Question – During my second interview, we played a "rate yourself" game. I would suggest thinking carefully before rating yourself, so that you seem confident yet also a bit self-critical.   Answer Question

Assistant Buyer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Ross Stores.

Interview Details – Very long interview process-- took about 3 months and they were very vague as to when an answer would be reached. I didn't end up getting the job because all available jobs were being saved for college graduates and interns in order for the company to save money.

Interview Question – Why did you pick your major in college?   Answer Question

Assistant Buyer

I applied in-person and interviewed at Ross Stores.

Interview Details – successfully completed the internship program and was hired on the spot. Recommend the internship if you are just finishing college.

Interview Question – The interview itself was fairly harmless. The packet of merchandising mathematics I had to complete in 15 minutes was unexpected. Bring a calculator!   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Ross Stores in February 2012.

Interview Details – First I interviewed with a rep from HR over the phone; they were accommodating to the fact that I couldn't make it in person, since I was on vacation. After that, she asked to schedule an in-person interview. When I went to the in-person interview, I interviewed with about 4 people from various departments in the office. When I accepted my offer, it was in a department with one of the people i interviewed with. I liked the environment and the nature of the interviews: they were as enthusiastic about this position as I was. It was fun...I start tomorrow, so hopefully it turns out great !

Interview Question – Tell me about a time where you failed and how you learned from it.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Ross Stores in August 2010.

Interview Details – I interviewed with HR first and they basically went over my resume, discussed why I wanted the position, and what interested me about off-price buying. After this interview, I was called into a second interview with HR. The follow up interview seemed to be more geared to finding the right department/direct report fit. I took a short retail math test during my second visit. I then returned to interview with two buyers, two DMMs, and a VP of the division before they decided to hire me. They seemed happy and all of the people within the division appeared to have close personal ties. It was a long process, but it wasn't ulcer-inducing and probing like many interviews I've had at other companies.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – For an entry-level position, there wasn't much room for negotiation. But the compensation was fair.

Very Difficult Interview

New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at Ross Stores in February 2011.

Interview Details – After leaving my job at Macy's the first week of Feb I had an interview with Ross the following week.
The corporate recruiter contacted me the week before to set up the interview, she didn't tell me exactly where she found my information but at the time I did not think to ask.
I met her at their office in the high 30's and Broadway. Very nice building.
I filled out an application (not sure why); never filled out an application for a corporate job, seems silly to me.
I went in and we went over some basic information - past experience, what I learned from them, what would my previous bosses say about me, strengths, weaknesses, and some situational questions (what would you do if, how would you react in this situation, etc).
The interviewer was very difficult! She was firing questions at me, not waiting for me to finish my last syllable. It made me so nervous I didn't answer some questions as I wanted to.
The interview lasted about an hour. I thought it went pretty well despite me answering some questions wrong.
They decided to fill the position from within which is annoying to say the least.

Interview Question – What was one of the biggest challenges you faced at your previous job? How did you handle it? Did you require any help from your colleagues?   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Ross Stores in January 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online and got a call about 2 weeks later. I got a phone call saying they would like to interview me for the assistant buyer intern position, I was scheduled to come in the following week. I was interviewed by one lady in a small office 1:1. I was mostly asked things about school and my classes. The questions seemed to try and get you to tell how your classes could help you in the internship.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about classes you have taken.   Answer Question
  • What was your least/favorite class?

What do you like to do for fun?
      Answer Question
  • What are some things that are in style right now?

When did you figure out you wanted to be a buyer?
      Answer Question
  • Tell me about a project you did where you had to solve a problem.   View Answer
  • Do you consider yourself trendy?

What makes you want to be a buyer?

What do you know about a buyers position?

Interviewed at Ross Stores

Interview Details – The hiring process takes a very long time so be ready to take multiple interviews and for the process to take several months.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Ross Stores

Worked for Ross Stores? Contribute to the Community!

Ross Stores Videos

Ross Stores – Why Work for Us?

​​​BEHIND EVERY BARGAIN​​​ Our customers love a great deal. That makes our mission simple: to provide exciting bargains, every day, in every store. It takes an incredible team of individuals to make that possible… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ross Stores Assistant Buyer interview questions and advice. All 8 interview reviews posted anonymously by Ross Stores employees and interview candidates.