Ross Stores Interview Questions

Updated Sep 16, 2014

2.1

Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Ross Stores in January 2014.

had great conversation with all 10 interviewers all 10 times but was disappointed with their decisions when they advised i was rejected from the process because i was moving a missing part in my experience. Considering i made it that far in the process perhaps they could have screened that lack of experience in advance instead of spending 1 month and half.

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Ross Stores in November 2013.

Online application, phone interview, and in-person interview, take about one month.Candidates will interviewed by different managers from Ross. Including store manager, zone directors. Phone interview takes about 30 minutes. Difficult questions behavioral questions and really competitive

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Garner, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Garner, NC

I applied online - interviewed at Ross Stores.

I got a call from a manager, and set up interview. i was so excited because i had worked at Sears for over a year, and that is a harder job then working at Ross. Ross does not have a credit card you have to get customers to apply for, like Sears though. Since i had over a year of retail/cashier experience i kind of went in thinking the job was mine. I interviewed with two men. One was to serious, and the other was serious but a little nicer. I felt like the whole interview process was to serious. They would ask a question like name a time ____ and how did it make you feel. After i would explain, i would forget to say how it made me feel and the one serious manager would always say with somewhat an attitude "Yea, but how did it make you feel?". Or you would answer the question and they would still look at you to keep elaborating. Im sitting there like, i already said a whole lot! Bottom line i had more than enough experience to work there, and they grill you so hard in the interview that it makes you forget things, and nervous. After the interview i did not even get a call or e-mail stating in did not receive the job.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us something about you that we would not knowing just from looking at you?   View Answer

Assistant Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at Ross Stores in February 2011.

After leaving my job at Macy's the first week of Feb I had an interview with Ross the following week.
    The corporate recruiter contacted me the week before to set up the interview, she didn't tell me exactly where she found my information but at the time I did not think to ask.
    I met her at their office in the high 30's and Broadway. Very nice building.
    I filled out an application (not sure why); never filled out an application for a corporate job, seems silly to me.
    I went in and we went over some basic information - past experience, what I learned from them, what would my previous bosses say about me, strengths, weaknesses, and some situational questions (what would you do if, how would you react in this situation, etc).
    The interviewer was very difficult! She was firing questions at me, not waiting for me to finish my last syllable. It made me so nervous I didn't answer some questions as I wanted to.
    The interview lasted about an hour. I thought it went pretty well despite me answering some questions wrong.
    They decided to fill the position from within which is annoying to say the least.

Interview Questions
    • What was one of the biggest challenges you faced at your previous job? How did you handle it? Did you require any help from your colleagues?   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 months - interviewed at Ross Stores in April 2012.

Back in April, 2012 interviewed for a new store opening as Store Manager. The interview was held at a Panera Bread restuarant which was noisey and hard to concentrate. The district manager was rude and abrubt. No indication as to how I did because of the enviornment. No one every returned any of my phone calls. Then in late July 2012, district manager started calling my references and then offered me a position for a new store an hour away as assistant manager. Salary was Firm and when I accepted the position I had to drive to Naperville store for training. On my first day the training manager was rude and made several comments about my age and whether I could handle this position. They put me in a room by myself and told just read everything. When I had questions I could not find anyone to assist me. When I finally was able to ask questins, he training manager was rushed and made me feel "stupid" she rolled her eyes. I did not accept their offer.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you feel you should get this position.   View Answer

Due to their training manager who was rude and staff was unprofessional.

Associate Merchandise Control Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at Ross Stores in December 2011.

Contacted by a third party recruiter about position opening. Recruiter noted HR representative gives a thorough interview so I should prepare to answer several detailed questions about my work experience. Upon arrival, met with an HR rep and filled out application. Was taken to HR interviewer for an hour long one on one session. She was very professional and good at posing questions that required detailed answers. I knew I stumbled a bit, so left that interview a bit disappointed. Then met with VP of Planning and Allocation for a one on one interview for about one hour and felt that it was much more relaxed and went better than with HR. Was not surprised to hear they were moving on without me.

Interview Questions
    • In your last performance review, what was some negative feedback that your supervisor gave you?   View Answer
    • Would your last supervisor recommend you?   View Answer

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Ross Stores in April 2010.

Interview process was very interesting. Starting from phone interview to 1:1. Its is very important to have knowledge about the Co. and Job Profile we are applying for.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online - interviewed at Ross Stores in October 2012.

I apply online then a week later got an email from HR Recruiter. I had to sign up at some website based thing for slot set up phone interview and I had to call on the interview day. To much work for me so what does a real recruiter do here?? By the way this was all in the Chicago land area if anyone has the same content to express about there experience. When I called the lady who was the Recruiter I caught her off guard. I'm like it's my interview and shes like "oh yeah ur right"... I have the retail management experience needed and I felt as I was talking to a wall. This Recruiter wasted my time pretty much. I may have been firm with her at times but she never worked retail to really know what I was talking about to understand me. Talking to HR Recruiter who had no clue about anything. How about I talk to a real Manager of a store first and not waste my time on a HR Recruiter. So many good people out there will never get a fair chance with this going on. (Ross Stores should not invest in a Recruiter that doesn't do her job right).

Retail Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Ross Stores in May 2014.

I received a phone call to come in the next day for an interview. Everyone is so nice. There were a lot of questions but basic questions for a new hire to determine that they are a perfect candidate for the position. Completed I-9 in office and a short quiz.

Interview Questions
    • There were a lot of questions like 8-10. The manager is very thorough and upfront   Answer Question

Area Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Ross Stores in August 2013.

Was informed about opening in store for Area Supervisor, asked for interview, interview was set up within a couple of days, interview lasted probably 15 minutes. Interviews for lower positions too easy compared to this one.

Interview Questions
    Nothing was negotiated. Not even pay.

Worked for Ross Stores? Contribute to the Community!