Ross Stores

Updated Feb 25, 2015
Updated Feb 25, 2015

2.1

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ross Stores in January 2015.

It was an easy interview with several members across the organization. They were extremely nice, and the process took no time to complete. They were on top of it and made sure the process was not slowed by the holidays and such.

Interview Questions
    • Behavioral Questions like "Can you tell me a time you had a difficult customer you had to work with and how did you handle it?"   Answer Question

Loss Prevention Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Ross Stores.

It's a very short interview with the Store Manager. All he cares about is your availability essentially (in my experience). He just asks where you've worked but doesn't care about the details. My interview took about 4 minutes, but we had a running joke that he was trying to set a world record for shortest interviews. Record time was 1 minute. The follow up interview is with the Loss Prevention district manager, but even that one is easy. My experience will be a little different though since I was hired as a regular associate and then I applied for Loss Prevention. The 2 interviews are the same, I'm just not sure on the timing of them.

Interview Questions
    • I forgot the questions, but nothing difficult whatsoever.   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate. Loss prevention gets higher pay than all other associates.

Store Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Ross Stores.

Applied online and got a call same day.They look for people with relevant experience. I had none. As it was during the holidays they had extended hours to 1:30 a.m. Was only looking for supplemental work and the schedule conflicted with first job.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever tried to stop someone who tried to steal.   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chula Vista, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chula Vista, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Ross Stores.

Dress nicely. Smile. Remember its ALL about CUSTOMER SERVICE! Loss prevention is all about 'customer service' also... Make sure all customers feel welcomed, yet are aware you are paying attention to what theyre doing. SMILE & say "Hi" to anyone within 10 feet. Remember that this job is not for lazy people, so show a little excitement at interview.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you saw someone acting suspiciously or pocketing merchandise?   View Answer
    No negotiations. Flexible availability, minimum wage, part time, period. Weekend availability is important.

Cashier/Fitting Room Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Costa Mesa, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Costa Mesa, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Ross Stores.

I was called for an interview after 5 days since i had applied. Easiest interview of my life. This was actually hardly an interview. All i was asked was basic questions like, tell me about yourself, if i have worked in a fast pace environment, my work experience, and what position would i like. The interview only took about 15 mins.i was offered a job on the spot.

Sales Associate Interview

The hireing prosses was considerably short. I think this was mainly due to me applyin during the holiday season. The intervewer was most concerned with my availabilty to work; being able to work on Sunday was a major plus. I was offered the job right on the spot.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Ross Stores.

Interview process was very quick and easy. I was asked a few basic questions such as to tell a little about my self. Interview lasted about 10-15 mins. I was told that my info would be submitted for a background check and should take a week. I heard back the next day came in for orientation the next day which took approximately 3-4 hours. All in all one of the easiest non-stressful interviews I have ever had.

No offer, you just get hired.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Long hiring process, review communication, strengths, weaknesses, and different aspects of the business. Also closely reviewed your communication and how you would handle tough situations. Know your strengths and weakness.

Customer Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ross Stores in December 2014.

Came in and was asked: Previous work experience, why there was a gap in employment and if i could perform daily duties for the position. I was then told i was hired and that i had to wait for a background check before i start. The interview lasted literally 5 minutes. Real quick and fast. Hiring process takes about 2-3 weeks before u start work if your hired

Store Manager Interview

Applied on line, received a call from a store manager to schedule a phone interview for the following week. The morning of the interview received a call from the store manager stating "We'll have to reschedule the interview, corporate people are in town and I won't even be in my store." A couple days later had brief phone interview, basic screening questions. A week later received a call from ANOTHER store manager to schedule a face to face interview. Went to the store manager's store, he asked basic scripted questions off a generic form, wrote down answers. He said they needed to hire a manager quickly and he would talk to his DM and they would notify me within a couple days. Received a generic rejection email the next day. Why is a large company letting their store managers hire for their same position? From what the store manager told me about his background in the interview it sounded like I had more experience than he did. Does Ross have an HR department, doesn't sound like it. Sounds like the patients are running the asylum at Ross.