Ross Stores Interview Questions

Updated Oct 16, 2014

2.1

Location Planning Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Ross Stores.

Hiring and Interview process were very smooth. HR did a great job with their college recruiting. Program overall was good but your experience really depends on who your supervisor is.

No negotiation - intern program

Assistant Buyer I Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Ross Stores.

First had an interview over the phone that lasted about 20 minutes. About a month later I received an offer for a second interview that was to be held at their offices in Los Angeles. They flew me out and I had a panel style interview with 4 buyers. They lasted about 30 minutes each. I received an offer about 3 days later.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you have worked with a group. If there were problems, how were they addressed?   Answer Question

Assistant Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I first met with an HR manager after she found me on LinkedIn. Questions were pretty standard, though she did test me on my fashion trend knowledge. About a week later, I met with one of the Buyers. She was extremely nice, and the interview was pretty easy-going.

Interview Questions
    • During my second interview, we played a "rate yourself" game. I would suggest thinking carefully before rating yourself, so that you seem confident yet also a bit self-critical.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beaverton, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beaverton, OR

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Ross Stores in June 2014.

I applied for this position on Friday and received a call on Sunday about an interview on Monday. The phone call was very abrupt and I could feel like the manager was in a hurry of some sort because she barely let me say anything in regards to the interview, let alone try to have a conversation with her.

The interview day came and I went into the store 10 minutes early and while I was waiting, I didn't really feel in a comfortable atmosphere whatsoever, like the other employees were judging me, which I guess they might have to do. Regardless, I waited a total of 20 minutes before I was taken back by a "Loss Prevention" person to meet with the manager. When I sat down with her, she seemed really cold and distant. Like she didn't want to be interviewing me. Also, with every interview I've been to, the interviewer always asks "Tell me about yourself" or something along the lines to try and break the ice and get to know the interviewee. This didn't happen as the manager went straight into the questions.

She asked a total of 4 questions:
    1. Why do you want to work at Ross?
    2. Who's the most dependable worker you know?
    3. How does your previous work relate to this job?
    4. How would you react/work in a high-demand situation? (In other words, how do you react when you're really busy all of a sudden).

Then after answering those questions and answering questions that I had, she told me about the position and what it entailed. Then after that the interview was over. It lasted about 10 minutes. Tops. I personally know that I could've talked a lot more about each question and given scenarios that fit with my answer but she just kept cutting me off and not allowing me the proper chance to show what I have to offer. Also, because I'm a student from out of state, theres a good possibility that she won't hire me anyways. Regardless, I would have liked a better opportunity to show that I could give to the position. Nevertheless, I was offered the position the next day.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Ross Stores in June 2014.

received a phone call to come into for an interview (after filling out online application a couple days prior); asked about prior work history, asked about schedule availability; interview explained what type of position was available and asked if I was OK with it; was hired on the spot, just have to wait for background check to process

Interview Questions
    no negotiation as this was an hourly wage position, it is minimum wage - acceptable for a first time job

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anderson, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anderson, SC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Ross Stores in June 2014.

I applied online and a week later I was called in for an interview. They lady who I was suppose to interview wasn't there so I met with the Department Supervisor reallllyyyyyy brief. I had my resume with me and all she wanted to know is a little about my previous work history. A week later I was called for some background information and I received a call today saying I start my training next week!

None

Store Protection Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA

I applied through other source – interviewed at Ross Stores in June 2014.

I went in for the first initial interview at the Burbank location then was taken to interview to be a part of the Pasadena location. It's been two weeks since then and they still haven't finished my background check.

Interview Questions
    • They had a lot of math questions on the application. What is 3/4 of 1/2? And others where you have to find the the pattern in the line of numbers   View Answer
    But I'm still waiting on the background check to go through so that I can go to orientation. It's been 2 weeks, I've been emailing back and forth and they said that my background check is incomplete, so now I'm waiting for a response from HR.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Ross Stores in June 2014.

it was not hard just have your resume and good questions and just be focus An poised and no what you saying be respecful polite and generous and just look like you really care about working there and have good posture sit up straight no slouching and just be yourself cause they are really there to help you give you a chance and you gotta take advantage of that it get you a job be serious no playing around and always leave a good impression when its over.

Interview Questions
    • probably how long you expect to stay cause i really didnt no how long i be there   View Answer

Retail Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Ross Stores.

Came in for a sit down interview. I was asked a few questions like, "How would you handle a disgruntled customer". After answering the question, I was told what I would be paid. There's No negotiating pay,

No negotiating

Assistant Buyer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Ross Stores.

Very long interview process-- took about 3 months and they were very vague as to when an answer would be reached. I didn't end up getting the job because all available jobs were being saved for college graduates and interns in order for the company to save money.