Ross Stores Interview Questions

Updated Apr 14, 2015
Updated Apr 14, 2015

2.1

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ross Stores in December 2014.

Interview

Applied on line, received a call from a store manager to schedule a phone interview for the following week. The morning of the interview received a call from the store manager stating "We'll have to reschedule the interview, corporate people are in town and I won't even be in my store." A couple days later had brief phone interview, basic screening questions. A week later received a call from ANOTHER store manager to schedule a face to face interview. Went to the store manager's store, he asked basic scripted questions off a generic form, wrote down answers. He said they needed to hire a manager quickly and he would talk to his DM and they would notify me within a couple days. Received a generic rejection email the next day. Why is a large company letting their store managers hire for their same position? From what the store manager told me about his background in the interview it sounded like I had more experience than he did. Does Ross have an HR department, doesn't sound like it. Sounds like the patients are running the asylum at Ross.

Interview Questions

• None, all off generic question list.   1 Answer

District Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Ross Stores.

Interview

beware they will sell you on how well the company is performing to sway you to join the team. What they don't tell you is how micro-managed you will be. I think the only thing they don't have a tracking form for is how may sheets of toilet paper you are using.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Never except first offer this company is a cash cow

IT Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Ross Stores.

Interview

Very poor interview process, a 3-party interviewer reached out to me on Linkedin. Recruiter got my details, including my resume and salary expectations.
    I was setup for a first round interview with one of their IT Managers. The interviewer had very poor communication skills: he jumped straight into my background and kept asking, why do you want to come work for us, we have nothing going on. At no, point did he make an attempt to promote his company/work culture. The key focus of the interview was that they had nothing going on, all their IT systems are old, no budgets for big upgrades in the future, so, just a dull boring place to work in. The interviewer was almost begging me to not come work for them. The key takeaway was: why would you want to come work in a place as non-exciting as us...
    What was supposed to be a 'skills' interview also had a lot of personal questions interspersed in it, some of which also not appropriate ones to ask in an interview and would risk being classified as discriminatory.
    After the interview I politely sent a note to the recruiter that I wanted to drop out of the process as I did not seem like a fit for their culture and role.

Interview Questions

• Why come work for an IT shop as boring and unexciting as ours?   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Ross Stores in November 2014.

Interview

I submitted my application on Monday and the store manager called me on Wednesday and asked if I could come in that afternoon for an interview. I went in and two of the store managers did my interview. They were very nice and the interview lasted about 10-15 minutes. The questions they asked were all pretty simple, but some of them didn't apply to me since this would be my first job.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever dealt with an angry customer? How did you deal with it?
      Have you ever had to pick up someone else's slack at work? How did handle it?

Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Retail Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Ross Stores (Seattle, WA).

Interview

You have to submit an application online. Ross has honestly the worst online application system I have ever had to use. It was really frustrating just trying to get it to work! I am sure there is an "assessment" aspect. After I submitted my application, I received a phone call from an assistant store manager inviting me for an interview. Not sure how long it was in between, probably a week or so. Interview was pretty straightforward, and I interviewed with a different ASM. He asked me how well I worked under pressure, if I was used to dealing with high volumes, what I consider good customer service, things of that nature. I received a phone call later that day from the first ASM who called me informing me that they would like to offer me a position contingent on a background check. The background check took quite a while, definitely more than a week (which is how long they estimated). Probably closer to two weeks. Received a call after that came back with a date to begin training. You will tour your store and then there are about two days worth of training on the computer. You also get a "buddy trainer" which is another employee who has the same job as you (possibly extra jobs) who trains you on the floor. During this time, you might be "certified" (cross-trained) to do other jobs so that you can cover breaks, etc.

I wasn't required to take a drug test, although I'm sure I agreed to one during the application process. I live in Washington state, though, so not sure that applies everywhere.

Interview Questions

• There weren't any difficult questions. Totally average interview.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. I was told it's rude to ask about salary during an interview, so I didn't know what my starting wage was until I received my first paycheck.

Seasonal Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Ross Stores.

Interview

I received a call from them not long after applying and they asked to set up an interview. I went in a couple days later and was first interviewed by the assistant manager. After, the store manager came in and spoke with me and there was one question that she said she asks in all her interviews. "Describe yourself in one word"..other than that it was mostly general interview questions.

Interview Questions

• How well do you work in a team?
      What would you do if a customer was upset with something in the store?

Answer Question

Negotiation

Since this was my first job I didn't really negotiate.

Buying Interview

Interview

Process was pretty straight forward. Both rounds were on campus and both pretty simple. First interview was from an HR person and was basically just going over my resume. Second round was more behavioral driven.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ross Stores.

Interview

Waiting for your interview takes longer than the actual interview. they ask the usual question. be polite and charming and dont forget to smile. it shows that you are nice. stay full of energy because they look for employees that are since you are working in an fast paced environment being on your feet for several hours at a time.

Interview Questions

• They give you the typical Interview questions so you shouldn't be worried   Answer Question

District Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Ross Stores (Chicago, IL).

Interview

This was one of the worst experiences I have ever encountered. No human interaction prior to group interview. Cattle call! Interviewers did not probe or ask behavioral questions. Had preconceived notion based on current and former employers.

Interview Questions

• No unexpected questions or degree of difficulty. They (interviewers) only seemed interested in their own accomplishments versus the applicants. Did not recognize transferable skills and very close minded. Would never recommend Ross Dress for Less to anyone.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Ross Stores.

Interview

Through my college career advisor. Interviewer was very friendly and welcoming, I wasn't nervous at all. Got back to me in a week saying I had gotten a second interview