Ross Stores

Ross Stores Location Planning Analyst Interview Questions

2.9

8 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Ross Stores.

HR-- Mostly behavioral. Focus on why Ross and why the specific position. Some parts of your resume will be hand selected and you have to offer more detail. I was passed onto next round.
There was a retail math test that came partially as a surprise, and you are asked to fill out a form with referrals and work experience.

Interview Questions
  • Why are you interested in this position given your science major?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Ross Stores

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Ross Stores in November 2013.

Extremely long interview process. Interviewers ask questions and take detailed notes on your answers. They set up half hour phone appointments with each of your references so make sure you are careful about who you chose to list. Overall everyone is very friendly and enjoyable to speak with.

Interview Questions
    • A ton of behavioral questions. Not all of them applied to anything I've done.   View Answer
    They will negotiate but I think it slows the process quite a bit.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Ross Stores.

Quick phone interview with HR. She set me up with an office visit for two days later. Filled out a short retail math test (10 minutes) in the lobby before getting to speak with HR. Spoke to HR one-on-one for 30 minutes and then two managers separately. They seemed to really want someone with prior experience as a planner or financial analyst.

Interview Questions
    • Why Ross?
      What do you know about the company and about the job?
      What did you do in your prior job?
      Why planning? Why a planner and not a buyer?
      How good are you at excel (supposedly they do a lot of analytic work- but advanced excel is not necessary)?
      If you were to open up a business, where would you open it and why?

Answer Question

Location Planning Analyst Interview

the process was extremely regimented and thorough, as the interview lasted over an hour with each individual that i met with.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Ross Stores in April 2013.

I applied through the campus career website. It took about a month for me to get an interview. Recruiter emailed first asking if I was still interested in the internship, then had a phone interview. After the phone interview with basic questions, why I'm interested in Ross and if I had any questions for her. Required to do a basic "math" test on information that would relate to the business (VERY EASY). She brought me into the office in NYC to meet/interview with who I would later find out would be my boss. Had an interview with the recruiter, then 2 30 minute interviews with the people I would be directly working with. Fairly easy interviews, asking why I was interested if it wasn't my major, describe past work experience, where would you like to be in 5 years. A day after the interview, I was called by the recruiter to see how my interviews went and if I liked the other interviewers. Then there was the background check. After the background check and calling all my references, I was offered the position. Total of 12 days from phone interview to the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Why would I want to intern with Ross? What was biggest accomplishment? Describe a task that you had to work with a group and not everyone wanted to do the same thing.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Ross Stores in September 2012.

I first received a call from one of the HR recruiters, did a 5-10 minute interview over the phone about my experience. Then was scheduled for an interview that week met with another HR recruiter and just discussed my interest in the position, why I wanted to work for retail and how my past experience correlates to this position. Before all that they make you take a math test on percentages right before the first interview. What they don’t tell you over the phone is they keep you there for half the day because they want you to meet with a multitude of managers and what annoyed me is how long they would make me wait in between each interview. Whatever the case they ask you about your past experiences, why you want to work for retail, why Ross stores and a number of behavioral questions such as: name a time you had to work in a group and things didn’t turn out the way you wanted, weakness/strength. The thing I don’t like about behavioral questions is no body actually answers them honestly and they themselves expect pageantry answer s. Also make sure you brush up on you excel knowledge that’s a plus. Another thing I didn’t like is they conduct so many interviews a day; it seems as if you apply they will call you… You will know what I am talking about when you go in for the interview.

Interview Questions
    • If you could open up a retail store, what kind of store would you open up and what are the factors you would consider?
      How do you think retail stores define success?

View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Ross Stores in May 2011.

Got the interview through a listing on my college's job services and received a phone screen about 3 weeks after applying. Phone screen was pretty easy just shot off my analytic acumen, it also helped that I sent in a mock excel spreadsheet of some of the work actual location planning analysts conduct. We discussed that for a bit and scheduled an interview.

Prior to the interview I had to take some silly test that deal with percentages and inventory turnover...very simple stuff, for any candidate. Walked into the interview and it was pretty straight forward. Generic questions first--what type of person would you categorize yourself as, what are strengths/weaknesses, give me an example of how you demonstrated [insert quality]--all questions were followed by a "show me an example of how you did this at this job...Moved a to a different room oddly since it was very hot and then discussed where I saw myself in 2 years, and then long-term goals..etc.

The KICKER for this position was "WHY DO YOU WANT TO WORK HERE--WHAT SPECIFICALLY APPEALS TO YOU ABOUT ROSS STORES SPECIFICALLY?"

This is the END ALL BE ALL question and you better have a convincing answer for this question. It should take about 5-10 min of thinking prior to the interview to really figure out why you like Ross Stores and being a location analyst. Specific answers are necessary.

Interview Questions
    • "WHY DO YOU WANT TO WORK HERE--WHAT SPECIFICALLY APPEALS TO YOU ABOUT ROSS STORES SPECIFICALLY?"   Answer Question
    • what are your strengths and weaknesses, give me an example of each   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Ross Stores in August 2010.

Must go through multiple interviews in person usually are same day. Most are 30 minutes.