Ross Stores Interview Questions in New York City, NY

Updated Jun 4, 2015

2.9

Assistant Buyer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Ross Stores (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

I had 6 interviews total---1 was a phone screening, 1 with HR, 2 with Buyers, 1 with a DMM, and 1 with a GMM. It was a long process, but I appreciated meeting everyone and I felt more confident that it was the right job for me after each interview. Everyone was extremely friendly and genuinely cared to be there. Overall, it was a great experience.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Ross?
      Strengths/Weaknesses?
      Who is your dream company(besides Ross)?
      Tell me about feedback you've received.
      Have you ever worked with a difficult boss?

Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Ross Stores (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

Within 20 minutes of setting up the interview, I received an email stating the position I applied for was closed. I contacted recruitment and was told it was an error. I didn't want to waste my time with an interview which was not going to lead anywhere. Upon arriving at their office 15 mins early, I was given an application which all information was mandatory even with a resume. Off the bat you are to provide three references.

I was escorted into a very small office (my knees kept hitting the desk in front of me and there was no room to move back) where two recruiters conducted the interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you made a mistake. How did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Merchant Support Administrative Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ross Stores (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Give you a first interview where you meet with one of the HR reps. They decide if they want you back. Get called for a second interview and you meet with the director of the program then the overlooking manager of it as well.

Interview Questions

• Excel program questions. Why are you studying that major? (IF in school) How well do you handle time management? How did you double check your work?   Answer Question

Location Planning Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Ross Stores (New York, NY).

Interview

Hiring and Interview process were very smooth. HR did a great job with their college recruiting. Program overall was good but your experience really depends on who your supervisor is.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation - intern program

Assistant Buyer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Interview

I first met with an HR manager after she found me on LinkedIn. Questions were pretty standard, though she did test me on my fashion trend knowledge. About a week later, I met with one of the Buyers. She was extremely nice, and the interview was pretty easy-going.

Interview Questions

• During my second interview, we played a "rate yourself" game. I would suggest thinking carefully before rating yourself, so that you seem confident yet also a bit self-critical.   Answer Question

Order Provessing Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Ross Stores (New York, NY) in June 2014.

Interview

Applied through a temp agency. Had a short phone interview, was asked about my resume and if I had retail experience. The interview was comfortable. I was told I would have an in person interview after but instead I got an offer the next day.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Did not negotiate

Seasonal Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Ross Stores (Jersey City, NJ) in May 2014.

Interview

Put in application for a part time associate, was called about three days after and asked to come in later that day. After going through the basic questions like "what can you bring to the company" , "what do you expect to do?", and about my prior experience in retail, and other miscellaneous questions, I was then told I would have a background check put in, and a week later I started orientation, and then work itself.

Location Planning Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Ross Stores (New York, NY).

Interview

HR-- Mostly behavioral. Focus on why Ross and why the specific position. Some parts of your resume will be hand selected and you have to offer more detail. I was passed onto next round.
    There was a retail math test that came partially as a surprise, and you are asked to fill out a form with referrals and work experience.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in this position given your science major?   Answer Question

Buyer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Ross Stores (New York, NY) in January 2014.

Interview

had great conversation with all 10 interviewers all 10 times but was disappointed with their decisions when they advised i was rejected from the process because i was moving a missing part in my experience. Considering i made it that far in the process perhaps they could have screened that lack of experience in advance instead of spending 1 month and half.

Location Planning Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Ross Stores (New York, NY) in November 2013.

Interview

Extremely long interview process. Interviewers ask questions and take detailed notes on your answers. They set up half hour phone appointments with each of your references so make sure you are careful about who you chose to list. Overall everyone is very friendly and enjoyable to speak with.

Interview Questions

• A ton of behavioral questions. Not all of them applied to anything I've done.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They will negotiate but I think it slows the process quite a bit.