Ross Stores Interview Questions & Reviews in New York City, NY

Updated Jun 27, 2014
26 interviews

Buyer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed through a recruiter - interviewed at Ross Stores in January 2014.

had great conversation with all 10 interviewers all 10 times but was disappointed with their decisions when they advised i was rejected from the process because i was moving a missing part in my experience. Considering i made it that far in the process perhaps they could have screened that lack of experience in advance instead of spending 1 month and half.

Location Planning Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Ross Stores.

Hiring and Interview process were very smooth. HR did a great job with their college recruiting. Program overall was good but your experience really depends on who your supervisor is.

No negotiation - intern program

Assistant Buyer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I first met with an HR manager after she found me on LinkedIn. Questions were pretty standard, though she did test me on my fashion trend knowledge. About a week later, I met with one of the Buyers. She was extremely nice, and the interview was pretty easy-going.

Interview Questions
    • During my second interview, we played a "rate yourself" game. I would suggest thinking carefully before rating yourself, so that you seem confident yet also a bit self-critical.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Ross Stores in November 2013.

Extremely long interview process. Interviewers ask questions and take detailed notes on your answers. They set up half hour phone appointments with each of your references so make sure you are careful about who you chose to list. Overall everyone is very friendly and enjoyable to speak with.

Interview Questions
    • A ton of behavioral questions. Not all of them applied to anything I've done.   View Answer
    They will negotiate but I think it slows the process quite a bit.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Ross Stores.

HR-- Mostly behavioral. Focus on why Ross and why the specific position. Some parts of your resume will be hand selected and you have to offer more detail. I was passed onto next round.
    There was a retail math test that came partially as a surprise, and you are asked to fill out a form with referrals and work experience.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you interested in this position given your science major?   Answer Question

Allocation Planner Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Ross Stores in September 2013.

The first round of interviews was with HR,which went very well. HR reviews every detail of your resume, therefore it is very important to articulate accomplishments and career goals.

The second round of interviews was scheduled with two Planning Managers, which went very well.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a challenging group project. How did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online - interviewed at Ross Stores.

Quick phone interview with HR. She set me up with an office visit for two days later. Filled out a short retail math test (10 minutes) in the lobby before getting to speak with HR. Spoke to HR one-on-one for 30 minutes and then two managers separately. They seemed to really want someone with prior experience as a planner or financial analyst.

Interview Questions
    • Why Ross?
      What do you know about the company and about the job?
      What did you do in your prior job?
      Why planning? Why a planner and not a buyer?
      How good are you at excel (supposedly they do a lot of analytic work- but advanced excel is not necessary)?
      If you were to open up a business, where would you open it and why?
        Answer Question

Merchandise Control Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Ross Stores.

I was referred by a Manager I used to work for at a prior company. The interview process was unnecessarily long. It took me approximately 3 months in total from my first interview to getting an offer. I interviewed with 11 people. Out of those 11 interviews only 1 was HR. I understand they want the right fit, but 11 interviews are excessive.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions were straightforward, nothing difficult.   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate a little bit.

Senior Assistant Buyer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Ross Stores in March 2013.

After applying online, I was contacted by HR a few weeks later for a phone interview with HR recruiter. Interview was very simple and was typical going over the resume questions. Then, I was asked to complete a phone interview with the hiring manager. A few weeks later, they brought my out for about 5 or 6 interviews. A couple with HR and the rest with management for the open position. Interviews went really well and after this I was asked to fill out application, submit background check. I received great feedback, however, it took them forever to schedule the next round of interviews. Finally over a month later, I came back to interview with President of DD's and to go on a store tour of Bed, Bath and Beyond. About a week after that, HR contacted me and told me that while everyone enjoyed meeting with me, they thought I was more at the Assistant Buyer 2 level (1 level below Senior Assistant Buyer) and they currently didn't have any openings for that position....quite disappointing and VERY long process.

Interview Questions
    • Not many difficult questions - most were just about my experience. They all did come in with a page of questions from HR that were behavioral based - but not challenging.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Ross Stores in August 2010.

Must go through multiple interviews in person usually are same day. Most are 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

Worked for Ross Stores? Contribute to the Community!