Ross Stores Retail Associate Interview Questions

Updated Mar 23, 2015
Updated Mar 23, 2015

1.7

Retail Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Ross Stores.

I applied online. Got a call two weeks later. She set a date forinterviews.My interviewer was a nice lady. She came out greeted me. I smiled and shook her firmly. She took me to her office. The interview was 20 minutes. She asked me mostly behaviorial questions. She described to me the benefit of working with Ross. She then started discussing salary. It was 7.50$ . She kept mentioning how the staff has been promoted over the years. She wanted to know my availability. The wanted someone who can work weekends and evenings. I have experiences but could not accept the salary. Anyway I enjoyed the interview. It's an experience .

Other Interview Reviews for Ross Stores

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bakersfield, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bakersfield, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Ross Stores in February 2015.

I was interviewed by the manager and assistant manager with another applicant. The interview was pretty easy, both interviewers were friendly. Just make sure you prepare with the questions and you'll be good. I wore a white blouse and black slacks and dress shoes. The other applicants wore denim jeans so I think that helped get me hired. I also researched the Ross company really well and discovered that they help many non profit organizations. Make sure you read which organizations and what those organizations do and make sure to mention them during the interview. The manager and assistant manager were very impressed that I knew that information.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Ross Stores.

You have to submit an application online. Ross has honestly the worst online application system I have ever had to use. It was really frustrating just trying to get it to work! I am sure there is an "assessment" aspect. After I submitted my application, I received a phone call from an assistant store manager inviting me for an interview. Not sure how long it was in between, probably a week or so. Interview was pretty straightforward, and I interviewed with a different ASM. He asked me how well I worked under pressure, if I was used to dealing with high volumes, what I consider good customer service, things of that nature. I received a phone call later that day from the first ASM who called me informing me that they would like to offer me a position contingent on a background check. The background check took quite a while, definitely more than a week (which is how long they estimated). Probably closer to two weeks. Received a call after that came back with a date to begin training. You will tour your store and then there are about two days worth of training on the computer. You also get a "buddy trainer" which is another employee who has the same job as you (possibly extra jobs) who trains you on the floor. During this time, you might be "certified" (cross-trained) to do other jobs so that you can cover breaks, etc.

I wasn't required to take a drug test, although I'm sure I agreed to one during the application process. I live in Washington state, though, so not sure that applies everywhere.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any difficult questions. Totally average interview.   View Answer
    No negotiation. I was told it's rude to ask about salary during an interview, so I didn't know what my starting wage was until I received my first paycheck.

Retail Associate Interview

I was asked to come in to an office where they asked me questions about my previous job experience. I was also asked about my availability and I was asked to describe myself. It was simple but to the point. The interviewer was friendly and easy to talk to.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Ross Stores in August 2014.

I filled in an application for Ross with the knowledge of doing seasonal work for them. I was offered an interview the next day on the phone and went in a few days later. The interview itself was standard procedure, with questions like "how many times is a good amount to be late for work" none of course. The manager herself was very nice and has a wonderful bubbly personality. And in the end despite only being availible to work for the next month, as I am going to move across country for college, she was able to fight for me and I'm very excited to start this week. Absolutely recommend for people with limited experience to gain said work experience and/or going off to college looking for seasonal work.

Interview Questions
    • "What qualities about someone you know that help them get through the work day?"   View Answer
    Entry level position, not really negotiable. I am able to have a relatively flexible schedule, though I did request as many hours as they could give me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tamuning, GU
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tamuning, GU

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Ross Stores in June 2014.

I applied online after seeing signs in the store, I got a call for an interview within a week. The interviewer was very friendly and helped me calm some of my nervousness at the interview. The interview itself was pretty short, and not too difficult. I was told that I got the job right after the interview and was given a list of things to complete while the background checks were being done.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question to me was about how I would deal with a difficult customer.   View Answer

Retail Associate Interview

Honestly not that deep and it depends on the hiring manager. Basically a sure way to get hired is if you are willing close every night, especially on Thursdays through Sundays.

Interview Questions
    • No brainer here. Just lie and basically say anything that they want to hear.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. You get minimum wage that is in your state.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Ross Stores in November 2013.

I filled out the online application, if you do this give yourself 45 minutes of quiet time. There is a lengthy morality type questionnaire. After about a month I had forgotten about this job but received a phone call asking for an interview the next day or that day.
     The next day I went in, several people where being interviewed. It was fairly relaxed, I was interviewed by the store manager. There where no unique questions mostly about my experience:
    Can you stand for long periods. How do you get along with others. Do you take direction well. What was something I learned form my last job that I felt I could bring to this position. What would I do if I saw another associate stealing .
     Then a quick overview of the dress code and when she needed me to come in for new hire paperwork.

Interview Questions
    • What was something I learned form my last job that I felt I could bring to this position.   View Answer
    no negotiation. just we hire at minimum wage.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillsboro, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillsboro, OR

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Ross Stores in October 2013.

The interview process included two interviews one with an assistant manager and a final with the store manager. The first interview included very general easy to answer questions about customer service, teamwork, dependability, and reliability. The second interview asked more probing questions and explained realistically what to expect from the position.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions were very straight forward: Tell me about the most dependable worker you know? Why is a clean and recovered sales floor important?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Lynnwood, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Lynnwood, WA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Ross Stores in October 2013.

I applied online for a retail associate position and received a call back for an interview eleven days later. My first interview was with the assistant store manager who told me that they were actually looking for a stock associate, which was fine. Also, she was professional and very clear about the job duties and what was expected. It was a good interview and left me with a good feeling about ross.

I was scheduled for a second interview a couple of days later with the store manager. First off, he showed up 15+ minutes late. Then when I was finally called back for the interview he sat down with his chair turned fully away from me and conducted the interview for several minutes with his back turned to me. He did finally turn around and conduct the interview face to face but was extremely rude and derogatory the whole time. He made sure to emphasize the fact that ross is not at all customer service oriented, that any schedule conflicts meant that I had absolutely no chance of getting the job and that all retailers are only hiring part-time because of obamacare. Overall he was extremely unprofessional and not only did I immediately lose interest in the position (I understand it's part-time retail and I shouldn't expect much but this was completely out of line) but knowing that ross has absolutely no interest whatsoever in their customers I will never shop there again.