Ross Stores Retail Associate Interview Questions

1.6

32 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Ross Stores.

You have to submit an application online. Ross has honestly the worst online application system I have ever had to use. It was really frustrating just trying to get it to work! I am sure there is an "assessment" aspect. After I submitted my application, I received a phone call from an assistant store manager inviting me for an interview. Not sure how long it was in between, probably a week or so. Interview was pretty straightforward, and I interviewed with a different ASM. He asked me how well I worked under pressure, if I was used to dealing with high volumes, what I consider good customer service, things of that nature. I received a phone call later that day from the first ASM who called me informing me that they would like to offer me a position contingent on a background check. The background check took quite a while, definitely more than a week (which is how long they estimated). Probably closer to two weeks. Received a call after that came back with a date to begin training. You will tour your store and then there are about two days worth of training on the computer. You also get a "buddy trainer" which is another employee who has the same job as you (possibly extra jobs) who trains you on the floor. During this time, you might be "certified" (cross-trained) to do other jobs so that you can cover breaks, etc.

I wasn't required to take a drug test, although I'm sure I agreed to one during the application process. I live in Washington state, though, so not sure that applies everywhere.

Interview Questions
  • There weren't any difficult questions. Totally average interview.   View Answer
No negotiation. I was told it's rude to ask about salary during an interview, so I didn't know what my starting wage was until I received my first paycheck.

Other Interview Reviews for Ross Stores

Retail Associate Interview

I was asked to come in to an office where they asked me questions about my previous job experience. I was also asked about my availability and I was asked to describe myself. It was simple but to the point. The interviewer was friendly and easy to talk to.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Ross Stores in August 2014.

I filled in an application for Ross with the knowledge of doing seasonal work for them. I was offered an interview the next day on the phone and went in a few days later. The interview itself was standard procedure, with questions like "how many times is a good amount to be late for work" none of course. The manager herself was very nice and has a wonderful bubbly personality. And in the end despite only being availible to work for the next month, as I am going to move across country for college, she was able to fight for me and I'm very excited to start this week. Absolutely recommend for people with limited experience to gain said work experience and/or going off to college looking for seasonal work.

Interview Questions
    • "What qualities about someone you know that help them get through the work day?"   View Answer
    Entry level position, not really negotiable. I am able to have a relatively flexible schedule, though I did request as many hours as they could give me.

Retail Associate Interview

Honestly not that deep and it depends on the hiring manager. Basically a sure way to get hired is if you are willing close every night, especially on Thursdays through Sundays.

Interview Questions
    • No brainer here. Just lie and basically say anything that they want to hear.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. You get minimum wage that is in your state.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Ross Stores in November 2013.

I filled out the online application, if you do this give yourself 45 minutes of quiet time. There is a lengthy morality type questionnaire. After about a month I had forgotten about this job but received a phone call asking for an interview the next day or that day.
     The next day I went in, several people where being interviewed. It was fairly relaxed, I was interviewed by the store manager. There where no unique questions mostly about my experience:
    Can you stand for long periods. How do you get along with others. Do you take direction well. What was something I learned form my last job that I felt I could bring to this position. What would I do if I saw another associate stealing .
     Then a quick overview of the dress code and when she needed me to come in for new hire paperwork.

Interview Questions
    • What was something I learned form my last job that I felt I could bring to this position.   View Answer
    no negotiation. just we hire at minimum wage.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillsboro, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillsboro, OR

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Ross Stores in October 2013.

The interview process included two interviews one with an assistant manager and a final with the store manager. The first interview included very general easy to answer questions about customer service, teamwork, dependability, and reliability. The second interview asked more probing questions and explained realistically what to expect from the position.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions were very straight forward: Tell me about the most dependable worker you know? Why is a clean and recovered sales floor important?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lynnwood, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lynnwood, WA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Ross Stores in October 2013.

I applied online for a retail associate position and received a call back for an interview eleven days later. My first interview was with the assistant store manager who told me that they were actually looking for a stock associate, which was fine. Also, she was professional and very clear about the job duties and what was expected. It was a good interview and left me with a good feeling about ross.

I was scheduled for a second interview a couple of days later with the store manager. First off, he showed up 15+ minutes late. Then when I was finally called back for the interview he sat down with his chair turned fully away from me and conducted the interview for several minutes with his back turned to me. He did finally turn around and conduct the interview face to face but was extremely rude and derogatory the whole time. He made sure to emphasize the fact that ross is not at all customer service oriented, that any schedule conflicts meant that I had absolutely no chance of getting the job and that all retailers are only hiring part-time because of obamacare. Overall he was extremely unprofessional and not only did I immediately lose interest in the position (I understand it's part-time retail and I shouldn't expect much but this was completely out of line) but knowing that ross has absolutely no interest whatsoever in their customers I will never shop there again.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Round Rock, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Round Rock, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Ross Stores in October 2013.

I was initially contacted via phone while i was work- they tried my home phone, and then left a voicemail on my cell phone, asking to set up an interview. I called back and set it up for the following day. I interviewed with the assistant store manager in a back room. There was just one interview involved, and it was one on one. The lady came off as very friendly and sweet and was easy to talk to. The environment seemed to be neutral; the lady that greeted me when I walked in was not all that friendly.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time where someone in your workplace was stealing.   View Answer

They only offered minimum wage.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Ross Stores.

It was a one on one interview. I met with the Operations Manager. I was asked very general questions. The first was, "define efficiency." I was asked if I had cashier experience, to tell him about myself, my strengths, why I would like to work at Ross, etc. The job interview was not very difficult. The second interview was just to fill out paperwork. The third step was going to the orientation where I had to watch videos, learn about the dress code, and received the Associate Discount Card.

Interview Questions
    I was offered $8 an hour (contingent upon a background check) and I accepted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Butler, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Butler, PA

I applied online – interviewed at Ross Stores.

Applied online. I was contacted a few days later, and scheduled an interview. No hard questions were asked, in fact I was mostly asking the questions.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation, minimum wage.