Ross Stores Retail Associate Interview Questions

Updated Sep 24, 2014

1.6

31 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Retail Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Ross Stores.

Interview process is very basic. Applications are done online. A follow-up phone call is a plus, but not necessary. There is a questionaire attached that is scored and unfortunately can be the cause for the applicant not getting an interview regardless of their abilities. Remembering that first impressions are everything will be very helpful in the interview process. Being nervous is normal. Being honest is a must. Don't try to over-sell yourself, just go with the flow. Be friendly, but not chatty.

Interview Questions
  • The most difficult question asked is "Why do you want to work for Ross?". This question tends to throw most people off regardless of what company they are interviewing with.   View Answer
Negotiation is based on experience and ability. Very basic.

Other Interview Reviews for Ross Stores

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Ross Stores in May 2013.

Apply online. Within a few days called me and set an interview for a few days later. Asked me about my schedule, and the amount of time I thought I would spend at the job. Was offered the job pending a background check. Interview lasted 10 minutes at most.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation, offered minimum wage.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, NC

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Ross Stores in March 2013.

Took months for them to call after my application had already been in. Interview was pretty easy they asked about past experiences with jobs etc. Basically tole me I had the job when done

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Allen, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Allen, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Ross Stores in September 2012.

They gave me a call and I went for the interview. The manager was very nice and asked me simple questions like: who is most dependable? And stuff. Offered me the job on site.

Everyone starts at the basic minimum wage, I guess.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ross Stores in July 2012.

The internew & hiring process went great until I wanted to move forward as being a FES but since my disability she says Im not good enough with my job

Interview Questions
    • Why does managemnt treat disabled people worse then the regular employees   Answer Question
    She would consider me for FES also since I had experience as a manager

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Ross Stores in June 2012.

Applied online on a Sunday and then got a call on Monday for an interview on Tuesday. Came in, but the store manager was out so I interviewed with an assistant manager who had never given an interview before. Asked very basic questions from a list. Because I had no work experience, he asked me questions about what'd I do in certain situations instead of the "give an example of a time". Left, and got a call back a few days later offering the position, and scheduled for orientation after background check was completed.

Interview Questions
    None, everyone starts at minimum wage

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hollywood, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hollywood, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Ross Stores in April 2012.

Applied online and received a call back about 3wks later to schedule an in-person interview. I arrived early and ready for the questions. I interviewed twice with this company, because as a previous reviewer stated, after I accepted an offer, my name was lost in the system and so I had to reapply. I reapplied and the second time received a call back within the first 72hrs. Interviewed next day and was hired on the spot. Key things to know about this interview. Show a high interest in learning. Show a high interest in the work, but don't be desperate. Try not to talk about pay. They will ask you there do you see yourself in three years. SAY YOU SEE YOURSELF WITH ROSS, even if that's not where you see yourself. Be sure to express interest in a job with upward mobility. Once you accept the offer, you will have to undergo a background check that can take anywhere from a few days to a month. Once your results come back, you will be called and scheduled for paid orientation/training, and given your schedule for the following week.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any. Best I can tell you is, when they ask you to tell them about yourself, please, TALK ABOUT YOUR PREVIOUS WORK EXPERIENCE, that is what this opportunity is for, to sell yourself, give a verbal resume if you will, don't start talking literally about yourself. If you start talking about yourself, this is the first part where you're going wrong. Save that part for when they ask you about your hobbies/outside interests.   Answer Question
    • Why should we hire you?   View Answer
    • Why do you want to work at Ross?   Answer Question
    • What are your weaknesses?   View Answer
    • What would your most recent employers say about you?   View Answers (2)
    Starting wage is minimum and non-negotiable. But you are eligible for a raise after the probation period which is 3 months, and every 6 months after that if you are in good standing with the company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Ross Stores in January 2012.

I applied online and got a call about 1 weeks later. I got a phone call saying they would like to interview me for the assistant buyer intern position, I was scheduled to come in the following day. I was interviewed by one lady. The interviewer asked me about my work experiences and my schools, education.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

The process took a dayinterviewed at Ross Stores in November 2011.

Easy. Just a couple of questions. I think the manager liked me though. Accepted offer pending background check.

none

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sanford, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sanford, FL

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ross Stores in November 2011.

I had an interview with the asst manager and HR and both went well. After two weeks, I just received my background check in the mail. I don't have any criminal charges but I did get a ticket for unlawful speeding and no valid drivers license [I didn't know my license were suspended] and this appeared on my background check. Do you think my chances hindered because of this? I mean, I never been to jail for anything and this happened like 2 years ago.