Ross Stores

Average Difficulty
20 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Denver, CO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Ross Stores in April 2014.

Interview Details – Initial communication was courteous and prompt. DM conducting the interview was very professional and spoke highly of the company.

Interview Question – What are you hoping to avoid in your next job?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

West Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Ross Stores in January 2014.

Interview Details – Store manager who interviewed me was actually interviewing herself. Could not stop talking about herself and seemed to not want to be there. Very unprofessional,never shook my hand goodbye or said it was nice meeting you I have interviewed many people in my life and this was terrible! Who hired her? She said she had been there a short time and had a lot of grocery background! So you better have grocery background to sell clothes!!!

Interview Question – Why was I selected to be downsized and other manager stayed   View Answer

Interviewed at Ross Stores

Interview Details – Interview process was long. I interviewed 7 times with multiple Dms.

Interview Question – It was a standard interview   Answer Question

Store Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Ross Stores.

Interview Details – process is fairly quick and easy... hardest part is personality assessment, its a pass or fail to next step

Interview Question – questions are multiple answers so really have to think before you answer, there a few good answers so have to identify the best   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – not much negotiation...they state the salary range early on.. so it is a take it or leave it

Store Manager

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Ross Stores.

Interview Details – Interview with the District Manager then a second interview with the Zone Human Resources Manager then a third interview with the Zone Director then a fourth interview with the Zone Loss Prevention Manager

Negotiation Details – Very little room to negotiate salary usually comes from previous experience

Store Manager

I applied through other source and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Ross Stores.

Interview Details – You will get interviewed by the Store Manager first. If that goes well, your next interview will be with the District Manager followed by someone from Human Resources. Your final interview will be with the Regional Vice President.

Interview Question – Explain in detail how you advance the careers of people that have worked for you.   Answer Question

Fontana, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Ross Stores in July 2009.

Interview Details – phone interview and then one on one interview

Interview Question – have you ever known anyone to steal at your workplace and what did you do about it   View Answer

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Ross Stores in September 2009.

Interview Details – The interview process at store manager and assistant store manager levels can be daunting. You interview with multiple people, sometimes over the phone. Ross interviews are very structured. Every applicant is asked the same basic question by each person. Additional questions are based on responses to gather more information about the candidate. Associate applicants are interviewed by the store manager and assistant store manager. Again the interview format is pretty structured.

Interview Question – The most unexpected question was quite simple. "How many days would you say it is acceptable to be absent in 1 month?" A very direct question that you did not think you would be asked.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Negotiations were pretty simple. I was asked what my ideal salary would be during the interview. When the offer was made they gave me their best offer. I did of counter the offer.

Gilroy, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Ross Stores in November 2012.

Interview Details – DM -> HR -> ZD -> RVP

Interview Question – Tell me about your biggest miss   View Answer

Negotiation Details – no negotiation. first sm position

Store Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Ross Stores in January 2013.

Interview Details – Recruited by my former DM to come work for them as a SM. The process is lengthy and includes multiple interviews all the way up to the RVP. I've been given a contingent offer based on the results of the background, which I'm not concerned about. However, it's been almost a month from the first interview and I'm still waiting to hear something, tho my DM assures me everything is ok.

Interview Question – All questions are situational   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Ross Stores

Worked for Ross Stores? Contribute to the Community!

Ross Stores Videos

Ross Stores – Why Work for Us?

​​​BEHIND EVERY BARGAIN​​​ Our customers love a great deal. That makes our mission simple: to provide exciting bargains, every day, in every store. It takes an incredible team of individuals to make that possible… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ross Stores Store Manager interview questions and advice. All 20 interview reviews posted anonymously by Ross Stores employees and interview candidates.