Ross Stores Store Manager Interview Questions

Updated Aug 22, 2015

2.7

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ross Stores (Chicago, IL) in January 2015.

Interview

4interviews over the phone after 1 in person with the DM they mostly asked similar questions and it was obvious that some were just routine, dm stayed in touch by email the whole process . was offfered the job and contingency offer

Interview Questions

• mostly qustions about hr and team development   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Ross Stores

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ross Stores in December 2014.

Interview

Applied on line, received a call from a store manager to schedule a phone interview for the following week. The morning of the interview received a call from the store manager stating "We'll have to reschedule the interview, corporate people are in town and I won't even be in my store." A couple days later had brief phone interview, basic screening questions. A week later received a call from ANOTHER store manager to schedule a face to face interview. Went to the store manager's store, he asked basic scripted questions off a generic form, wrote down answers. He said they needed to hire a manager quickly and he would talk to his DM and they would notify me within a couple days. Received a generic rejection email the next day. Why is a large company letting their store managers hire for their same position? From what the store manager told me about his background in the interview it sounded like I had more experience than he did. Does Ross have an HR department, doesn't sound like it. Sounds like the patients are running the asylum at Ross.

Interview Questions

• None, all off generic question list.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Ross Stores (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

I was promoted from an ASM position to a full-time store manager via the college recruit process. The process was quick and relatively easy. Ross is a great company headed for big things.

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Ross Stores (Portland, OR) in May 2014.

Interview

Had to interview with 5 people, started with the DM, then got another interview with HR person, then the Zone manager, and finally the regional VP. After three days I received a phone call with the offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Ross Stores (Denver, CO) in April 2014.

Interview

Initial communication was courteous and prompt. DM conducting the interview was very professional and spoke highly of the company.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Ross Stores (San Francisco, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

.Had a DM and an ALPM interview me. It was more of a conversation with me than an interview. The half hour interview lasted an hour and a half. I was very confident when I left the interview. It was the most interesting interview I had ever witnessed. We talked about camping and hiking. Some of the great camping sites that the DM or I had visited. It was a very light interview and friendly interview. They told me that they would get back to me, and they did. My references were vetted, and then I had a Zone Director's one on one interview.

Interview Questions

• .The usual questions. Tell me a time when you had a difficult customer. What did I do to solve and take care of the customers problem or concern. Is the customer still shopping at my store? If yes. Then that was great.   1 Answer

Negotiation

The negotiation phase was a give and take. I told the DM what I was currently making, and the DM literally laughed and said that they didn't pay that much for a Store Manager, and offered me $10,000 less for the job. I continued on, and the Zone Director didn't even blink an eye on the pay I requested, and gave me what I had originally asked for.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Ross Stores (West Chicago, IL) in January 2014.

Interview

Store manager who interviewed me was actually interviewing herself. Could not stop talking about herself and seemed to not want to be there. Very unprofessional,never shook my hand goodbye or said it was nice meeting you I have interviewed many people in my life and this was terrible! Who hired her? She said she had been there a short time and had a lot of grocery background! So you better have grocery background to sell clothes!!!

Interview Questions

• Why was I selected to be downsized and other manager stayed   1 Answer

Store Manager Interview

Interview

Interview process was long. I interviewed 7 times with multiple Dms.

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Ross Stores.

Interview

process is fairly quick and easy... hardest part is personality assessment, its a pass or fail to next step

Interview Questions

• questions are multiple answers so really have to think before you answer, there a few good answers so have to identify the best   Answer Question

Negotiation

not much negotiation...they state the salary range early on.. so it is a take it or leave it

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Ross Stores.

Interview

Interview with the District Manager then a second interview with the Zone Human Resources Manager then a third interview with the Zone Director then a fourth interview with the Zone Loss Prevention Manager

Negotiation

Very little room to negotiate salary usually comes from previous experience