Ross University

Interviews for Top Jobs at Ross University

Professional Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in Miramar, FL
    Anonymous Employee in Miramar, FL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Ross University.

I applied online and then interviewed over the phone with an HR representative from Devry University, the parent company. I then completed an hour long online assessment and was invited for a three hour interview at the Miramar campus. It took approximately three weeks to get to the actual in-person interview stage.

I was given a guide to walk me from interviewer to interviewer during the three hour long interview. The rationale for the length of the interview was that it was important to see how the candidate blends with all of the different departments; the emphasis being on maintaining a "team" feel. It was surprising to actually hear from one of the interviewers that they wanted to have similar personalities. I always thought diversity in perspectives and personalities is more productive in the end. I guess they just wanted clones of themselves.

Ironically, a team approach was not really evidenced since the interviewers basically had the same questions for me, so I just ended up repeating myself to the SAME questions for three hours! It was a little silly how much they championed and thought the world of this new interviewing process they had implemented, boasting about it, instead of deriving a more efficient interviewing format. If there had been a team approach in place, like all of the staff members were espousing, they would have communicated to each other to at least differ the questions. Or they could have simply had a panel, conference type interview for each candidate, with all of the staff members present and the respective questions being asked.

I was even told that there would be a third interview (or rather interviewing day) at a later time. This seems overdone for a position in the low $30,000 bracket.

One particular manager had an extremely superior attitude. I am not sure why, it could be because she was rather young for her particular managerial role or felt she needed to prove herself in some way. I have never encountered such a unprofessional and argumentative attitude in my life. I am a good interviewee, having actual training in this, and yet she tried to post roadblock type questions in order to write something on her little notepad that is questionable or negative about me. Instead of allowing me to state my answers and explain my answer from my point of view, she put words in my mouth (from her perspective) and had a "gotcha" attitude. Even though I was poised, she was extremely argumentative and even raised her voice. I honestly thought she was about to unleash some type of anger or frustration she was experiencing on me. I think that having an "I gotcha" attitude at any point as a manager is not only giving a bad impression of oneself, but also makes the organization look unprofessional, incompetent and foolish.

A lot of the questions during the entire interview process were focused on me divulging something negative about former employers or former colleagues, which I could not do but they kept on stressing and pushing with this question. It was not only a feeling of mistrust during the interview process but an overwhelming and odd focus on the negative. I was asked this question practically by eight or nine people throughout the day (AND related questions that dwelled on the negative) I am left wondering if a lot of their employees at Ross University bicker with one another or have high school type drama or cliques or clash with one another. This is what it seemed like from their obsession on negative interactions. Or if they have a high turnover and bitter employees or former employees.

This was, by far, the most unprofessional interviewing experience I have ever had and I have interviewed quite a bit. I am writing this to maybe save others the trouble and extensive time that I went though.

At this point, I really do think I did a fair job in the interview process OVERALL (aside from the unprofessional manager) and, who knows, maybe I do get a call back for the second tiring day of interviews, which I will happily decline.

Interview Questions
    • How can I be sure that you won't go back to work for your former employer?   Answer Question

Alumni Relations Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in North Brunswick, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in North Brunswick, NJ

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Ross University in August 2012.

I applied the day this job was posted and was invited for a phone interview the next day. I definitely appreciated the swiftness from the start. I had a phone interview with the HR woman and she asked basic questions; this interview lasted about 40 minutes. Then I was invited to take an assessment test online. I found it to be easier than I thought. About a week later, I was invited for an in person interview with the hiring manager. The interview lasted about 1 hour and I was asked standard questions. There was no question out of the ordinary. The HR woman asked me to call her before and after this interview so I may give her feedback. After the interview, she told me that the following week, I would be notified whether I made it to the next round. On that day, I found out that I did not make it. And when I spoke to the HR woman, that is when I found out they were interviewing internal candidates. If I had known that previously, I wouldn't have been the slightest bit optimistic. But I guess this is the game that companies play. So I know for next time to ask about the type of people who are interviewing. Overall experience was decent because the HR woman was pretty honest with me. I have been on many interviews and she was probably the most up front HR person.

Interview Questions
    • Please describe a time when you had to convince someone of an idea.   Answer Question

EHS Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Basseterre (Saint Kitts and Nevis)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Basseterre (Saint Kitts and Nevis)

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Ross University in August 2013.

Everything is done from the US by a recruiter whom will first interview the applicant by phone to find the match for the position. Then a face to face panel interview in the island is set up. After about 3 days of interviews and introduction to the facilities, a report is asked to be written to show your analytic and administrative skills.

Interview Questions
    • They will test your analytic thinking after a tour from the campus to see what needs to be improved in reference to the job that you will do, so it has to be presented in an organized way to explain the problems and how it will be fixed.   View Answer
    I left my salary for last once they showed interest in my skills. So I gave them my number and they usually will propose a lower salary as expected but if one knows the job and as a professional you will know about 75% of what you will face once you accept the position.