Rovi

Updated Nov 15, 2014
Updated Nov 15, 2014

2.7

Senior Director, Product Interview

Long, long interview process even when I was hiring, unless you have a lead into top executives. HR isn't as efficient and really you're better off with a referral.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think of a company that has such as bad reputation?   Answer Question

Engineering Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Rovi.

Recruiter was very responsive. Phone interview, brought me in within week for two interviews. Offer after 2 weeks. Whole process took under a month. Office looks old, but good cafeteria

Interview Questions
    Asked for little more base which they agreed to

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Rovi in July 2014.

Got contacted via recruiter and had a technical phone screen set up within 3 days. Technical screen went over fundamentals plus some quizzing over specific technical areas I had on my resume. After passing that had more phone screens with various management and technical staff, mostly to gauge cultural fit and my interests. I even asked about some of the culture at Rovi and reviews I'd seen here, everyone was very candid and open throughout the whole process.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty standard stuff, if you put a skill on your resume be prepared to go into technical details.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Rovi in April 2014.

I submitted my resume through my university's job listing site and was contacted by a Rovi HR representative about interview times. My interview was at 8:45 on a Monday morning.

I started out with a phone interview with a software engineer who was working from home, in addition to a recruitment representative who was in the room. The software engineer on the phone asked me about projects I've done, and programming languages I know, and about my experiences with different types of problems. This took about half an hour, and then the next team came in.

The second pair was another recruiter and a software engineer. The software engineer did most of the talking, asking about my experiences working in groups and dealing with differences within the group. I was never asked any "standard" coding questions (no algorithms, runtimes, etc.)

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you've worked in a group on a software project   View Answer

I received an unofficial offer but they rescinded it after they failed to get approval for the internship salary

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Rovi in March 2014.

I met some representatives of Rovi Analytics, a former start-up recently acquired by Rovi, at a workshop.
    The interview process consisted in giving a presentation, followed by about 5 individual interviews. They explained what they were working on, the problems they are trying to solve, how Rovi works, etc.
    They inquired about my previous experience with data analytics and asked me several question such as the ones here below. On average all interviewers were kind with me.
    My initial reception was very poor: I was left outside in front of the intercom for 10 mins, trying to reach the contact at the phone numbers they gave me. Between one interview and the next I was left alone in the room, but they were kind enough to offer me something to drink.
    After one week or so that I followed up with an email, but never heard anything from them anymore. In the mean time I was in the process of starting another job, so after some weeks I decided to move on.
    The problems they are trying to solve are very interesting, the company is expanding very quickly. Many employees had only a few months experience at Rovi Analytics. The fact that they did not reach back even with a sstandard email is pretty rude and disappointing

Interview Questions
    • what would be your approach to solve the following problem: we have big data containing all kind of information on TV viewing. how to optimize the allocation of ads on a tv channel? what external events would most likely influence your predictive algorithm?   Answer Question

Sales Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Rovi in February 2014.

Received a phone call from the HR recruiter. Got moved on to phone interview with hiring manager a day or two later. The following week went into their offices for 3 in-person interviews followed by 2 more phone interviews with remote stakeholders.

Interview Questions
    • No questions were too difficult or unexpected although what was probably unexpected was that I didn't actually get a lot of questions. I got more of each persons view of the company and the role. More of the interviewers talking to me instead of me talking to them about my skills and work history.   Answer Question

Senior Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Radnor, PA

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Rovi in January 2014.

It is a joke. They don't know what they want. They just call you to insult your talents. No opportunities in the company and the senior Manager who interviewd me was a moron who could not believe my skills. I understand the reason - This company does not provide any opportunities for their own staff to grow. No wonder it is in the toilet.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult. Boring questions. The whole place is like a ghost town. They keep the few left over employees busy by engaing them in the interview process. Stay away. Don't waste your time. It is a sinking ship. Better they close the shop or get out of town fast..   Answer Question

Are you kidding? Look at my comments..

Director of Solutions Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Rovi in January 2014.

There were 3 interviews. 2 interviews with the hiring manager and a director went very well. I was asked to come in for interview with VP. VP was a very poor interviewer. I asked about org. rolllup and he became argumentative on rollup. He was sarcastic and argumentative. This led me to believe that the org. was not organized and dysfunctional and he was in the middle of it and any questions about this topic made him uneasy. Overall, I had to repeat and re-explain ideas to him.. The experience just wasn't there for a senior person and in fact he learned some things from me in the interview.. I could see why the reviews weren't good for this org.

Interview Questions
    • Ask as many questions as possible about the company. It's you're call.   View Answer

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Golden, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Golden, CO

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Rovi in June 2013.

I received a call within a day or two of my application from the recruiter. After the initial call, I had a phone interview scheduled within 2-3 days. After the initial phone interview I received a phone call the next day with positive feedback. Then it took about a week to get in-person interviews, which were rescheduled once. Overall good communication by the recruiter. Once I had the in-person interviews on-site (4 people), I again got quick follow up the same day, then positive feedback within a couple of days with yet another phone interview with the senior leadership team. That interview happened within a couple of days, and I had a competitive offer 2 days later. I only had to negotiate on start date. My only complaint was that nobody was available to meet me on my first day, introduce me a around, show me where things were. I had to wander around and figure it out myself.

Interview Questions
    • How would I deal with difficult, dictatorial, waterfall stakeholders in transitioning to an Agile world?   View Answer
    I really just negotiated start date, the offer was very competitive.

QA Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Radnor, PA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Rovi in February 2013.

I had a phone interview first with the hiring manager and a senior engineer. I was not called in for a one-on-one because they had budget changes for the position. A month later, I was called in for a one-on-one. I was shown to a conference room for the first 2 rounds of interviews. First, I interviewed with 2 senior QA people. They were very prepared and took notes during the interview. The next round was with a senior developer. He had not read my resume beforehand and was not prepared. He just went throught he motions of the interview and read my resume as he went along. He also had his laptop and took notes. During both of these rounds they asked me the difference between white and black box testing. And, even though this was a QA position, they expected the person they hire to make bug fixes to the code. Then, I was shown to the hiring manager's office for the last round. He also had not read my resume. He turned to the last page and focused on my university. I graduated from university in 1993, so I was a bit perplexed. All together, he interviewed me about 10 minutes. I am sure that he already knew who he was going to hire and just went through the interview process with other candidates as part of his job.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected was really a statement. What the hiring manager said to me at the end of the interview left me disappointed. I quote, "You are VERY qualified for the position. However, if I don't hire you it's because there may be someone a little bit better." And, he held up his hand with his thumb and index finger very close together to demonstrate a "litte bit".   Answer Question