Rovi

29 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Rovi in July 2014.

Interview Details – Got contacted via recruiter and had a technical phone screen set up within 3 days. Technical screen went over fundamentals plus some quizzing over specific technical areas I had on my resume. After passing that had more phone screens with various management and technical staff, mostly to gauge cultural fit and my interests. I even asked about some of the culture at Rovi and reviews I'd seen here, everyone was very candid and open throughout the whole process.

Interview Question – Pretty standard stuff, if you put a skill on your resume be prepared to go into technical details.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Data Scientist
Cambridge, MA

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Rovi in March 2014.

Interview Details – I met some representatives of Rovi Analytics, a former start-up recently acquired by Rovi, at a workshop.
The interview process consisted in giving a presentation, followed by about 5 individual interviews. They explained what they were working on, the problems they are trying to solve, how Rovi works, etc.
They inquired about my previous experience with data analytics and asked me several question such as the ones here below. On average all interviewers were kind with me.
My initial reception was very poor: I was left outside in front of the intercom for 10 mins, trying to reach the contact at the phone numbers they gave me. Between one interview and the next I was left alone in the room, but they were kind enough to offer me something to drink.
After one week or so that I followed up with an email, but never heard anything from them anymore. In the mean time I was in the process of starting another job, so after some weeks I decided to move on.
The problems they are trying to solve are very interesting, the company is expanding very quickly. Many employees had only a few months experience at Rovi Analytics. The fact that they did not reach back even with a sstandard email is pretty rude and disappointing

Interview Question – what would be your approach to solve the following problem: we have big data containing all kind of information on TV viewing. how to optimize the allocation of ads on a tv channel? what external events would most likely influence your predictive algorithm?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Senior Executive Interview

Senior Executive
Radnor, PA

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Rovi in January 2014.

Interview Details – It is a joke. They don't know what they want. They just call you to insult your talents. No opportunities in the company and the senior Manager who interviewd me was a moron who could not believe my skills. I understand the reason - This company does not provide any opportunities for their own staff to grow. No wonder it is in the toilet.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult. Boring questions. The whole place is like a ghost town. They keep the few left over employees busy by engaing them in the interview process. Stay away. Don't waste your time. It is a sinking ship. Better they close the shop or get out of town fast..   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Are you kidding? Look at my comments..

Sales Operations Interview

Sales Operations
Santa Clara, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Rovi in February 2014.

Interview Details – Received a phone call from the HR recruiter. Got moved on to phone interview with hiring manager a day or two later. The following week went into their offices for 3 in-person interviews followed by 2 more phone interviews with remote stakeholders.

Interview Question – No questions were too difficult or unexpected although what was probably unexpected was that I didn't actually get a lot of questions. I got more of each persons view of the company and the role. More of the interviewers talking to me instead of me talking to them about my skills and work history.   Answer Question

Director of Solutions Interview

Director of Solutions
Santa Clara, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Rovi in January 2014.

Interview Details – There were 3 interviews. 2 interviews with the hiring manager and a director went very well. I was asked to come in for interview with VP. VP was a very poor interviewer. I asked about org. rolllup and he became argumentative on rollup. He was sarcastic and argumentative. This led me to believe that the org. was not organized and dysfunctional and he was in the middle of it and any questions about this topic made him uneasy. Overall, I had to repeat and re-explain ideas to him.. The experience just wasn't there for a senior person and in fact he learned some things from me in the interview.. I could see why the reviews weren't good for this org.

Interview Question – Ask as many questions as possible about the company. It's you're call.   View Answer

Program Manager Interview

Program Manager
Golden, CO

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Rovi in June 2013.

Interview Details – I received a call within a day or two of my application from the recruiter. After the initial call, I had a phone interview scheduled within 2-3 days. After the initial phone interview I received a phone call the next day with positive feedback. Then it took about a week to get in-person interviews, which were rescheduled once. Overall good communication by the recruiter. Once I had the in-person interviews on-site (4 people), I again got quick follow up the same day, then positive feedback within a couple of days with yet another phone interview with the senior leadership team. That interview happened within a couple of days, and I had a competitive offer 2 days later. I only had to negotiate on start date. My only complaint was that nobody was available to meet me on my first day, introduce me a around, show me where things were. I had to wander around and figure it out myself.

Interview Question – How would I deal with difficult, dictatorial, waterfall stakeholders in transitioning to an Agile world?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I really just negotiated start date, the offer was very competitive.

Very Easy Interview

Systems Engineer Interview

Systems Engineer
Burbank, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Rovi in November 2010.

Interview Details – I new the hiring manager who was aware of my skills and personality and knew I fit the opening he had available. He pursued me.

Interview Question – What have you been doing for the past couple of years while not working?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Simple. I knew what the top end of the pay scale was and insisted upon it.

Senior Software (Front-End) Engineer Interview

Senior Software (Front-End) Engineer
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Rovi in December 2012.

Interview Details – Initial communications involved one-on-one phone calls with their senior recruiter gauging my fit for the position and were followed up by a group phone conversation with team leaders, all of which were relaxed and pleasant conversations.

Interview Question – How would you rate yourself with Javascript? (between 1 and 10)   View Answer

CLU Reporter Interview

CLU Reporter

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Rovi in February 2013.

Interview Details – It took two weeks total in between aplying to the job and getting a offer.

Interview Question – Give an exemplo of a problem resolving situation that I had in my career.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager
Burbank, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Rovi in September 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process was very straight-forward. I went in for an interview with my soon-to-be boss and a few soon-to-be coworkers. No hard questions were asked, everything was pretty standard, such as why do you think you're a good fit, what would you bring to the company, etc. After that, I received a phone call with an offer, I negotiated for a little bit higher, and signed the papers. The entire process was very quick, maybe one to two weeks from interview to signed papers.

Interview Question – There honestly weren't any difficult or unexpected questions. Every question was the standard interview question you'd be asked in any company, tell me about your work history, what are your strengths, why do you want to work here, etc.   Answer Question

Worked for Rovi? Contribute to the Community!