Rovi Interview Questions & Reviews

2.7

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Rovi in November 2010.

One of the longest most drawn out interviews I have ever been involved with. Expect them to ask you for sample code. For example they asked me to bring a sample of my C+ code. Each member reviewed it and critiqued my code. It became very interesting when one of them didn't like the choice of a word in the documentation of my code. He didn't make any mention that I produced a solution with 50% less lines then what they were expecting and far more memory management techniques. Also be prepared for a panel interview with the recruiter, manager and some other members of the team. They like their egos stroked so make sure you get the names of the people you will be interviewer with and look them up on LinkedIn. For best results email the manager directly and avoid the recruiting team.

Interview Questions
    • If you were asked to forfeit a vacation with you family for an urgent project, what would you do?   Answer Question
    • If you were to trouble shoot code of an employee who was terminated what would your fist step be.   Answer Question
    You can haggle. If they want you the will keep going up. I made up that I had other offers just to drive up the salary.

Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Rovi in November 2008.

Phone Interview followed by a 4 hour in person interview.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Mumbai (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai (India)

I interviewed through an employee referral - interviewed at Rovi in May 2013.

moderate to difficult

Interview Questions
    • except algo,ds,java..your project which you have completed   Answer Question
    you can negotiate but while making their offer..it seems that negotiation doesnt required.

Software QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Mumbai (India)
    Anonymous Employee in Mumbai (India)

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Rovi in January 2014.

1. Written Test comprising 10 questions
    2. Technical Interview
    3. HR Round

Interview Questions
    • Write a script (Perl, Bash, Python) which reads first 7 lines of an input file input.txt present in home directory and parses it.
      If there is some error while parsing throw a message "Error"
        Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Delhi (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Delhi (India)

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Rovi in May 2013.

4 Rounds :
    1. Written elimination test. (QA and Java)
    2. 4 Technical Interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Design Drop box kinda application End to End.   View Answer
    Don't get too greedy while negotiating. The work culture and work is pretty awesome !!

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Cambridge, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Rovi in March 2014.

I met some representatives of Rovi Analytics, a former start-up recently acquired by Rovi, at a workshop.
    The interview process consisted in giving a presentation, followed by about 5 individual interviews. They explained what they were working on, the problems they are trying to solve, how Rovi works, etc.
    They inquired about my previous experience with data analytics and asked me several question such as the ones here below. On average all interviewers were kind with me.
    My initial reception was very poor: I was left outside in front of the intercom for 10 mins, trying to reach the contact at the phone numbers they gave me. Between one interview and the next I was left alone in the room, but they were kind enough to offer me something to drink.
    After one week or so that I followed up with an email, but never heard anything from them anymore. In the mean time I was in the process of starting another job, so after some weeks I decided to move on.
    The problems they are trying to solve are very interesting, the company is expanding very quickly. Many employees had only a few months experience at Rovi Analytics. The fact that they did not reach back even with a sstandard email is pretty rude and disappointing

Interview Questions
    • what would be your approach to solve the following problem: we have big data containing all kind of information on TV viewing. how to optimize the allocation of ads on a tv channel? what external events would most likely influence your predictive algorithm?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Rovi in July 2014.

Got contacted via recruiter and had a technical phone screen set up within 3 days. Technical screen went over fundamentals plus some quizzing over specific technical areas I had on my resume. After passing that had more phone screens with various management and technical staff, mostly to gauge cultural fit and my interests. I even asked about some of the culture at Rovi and reviews I'd seen here, everyone was very candid and open throughout the whole process.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty standard stuff, if you put a skill on your resume be prepared to go into technical details.   Answer Question

Senior Software (Front-End) Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Rovi in December 2012.

Initial communications involved one-on-one phone calls with their senior recruiter gauging my fit for the position and were followed up by a group phone conversation with team leaders, all of which were relaxed and pleasant conversations.

Interview Questions
    • How would you rate yourself with Javascript? (between 1 and 10)   View Answer

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Golden, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Golden, CO

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Rovi in June 2013.

I received a call within a day or two of my application from the recruiter. After the initial call, I had a phone interview scheduled within 2-3 days. After the initial phone interview I received a phone call the next day with positive feedback. Then it took about a week to get in-person interviews, which were rescheduled once. Overall good communication by the recruiter. Once I had the in-person interviews on-site (4 people), I again got quick follow up the same day, then positive feedback within a couple of days with yet another phone interview with the senior leadership team. That interview happened within a couple of days, and I had a competitive offer 2 days later. I only had to negotiate on start date. My only complaint was that nobody was available to meet me on my first day, introduce me a around, show me where things were. I had to wander around and figure it out myself.

Interview Questions
    • How would I deal with difficult, dictatorial, waterfall stakeholders in transitioning to an Agile world?   View Answer
    I really just negotiated start date, the offer was very competitive.

Director of Solutions Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Rovi in January 2014.

There were 3 interviews. 2 interviews with the hiring manager and a director went very well. I was asked to come in for interview with VP. VP was a very poor interviewer. I asked about org. rolllup and he became argumentative on rollup. He was sarcastic and argumentative. This led me to believe that the org. was not organized and dysfunctional and he was in the middle of it and any questions about this topic made him uneasy. Overall, I had to repeat and re-explain ideas to him.. The experience just wasn't there for a senior person and in fact he learned some things from me in the interview.. I could see why the reviews weren't good for this org.

Interview Questions
    • Ask as many questions as possible about the company. It's you're call.   View Answer

Worked for Rovi? Contribute to the Community!