Rovi Interview Questions

Updated May 30, 2015

2.7

QA Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Radnor, PA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Rovi (Radnor, PA) in February 2013.

Interview

I had a phone interview first with the hiring manager and a senior engineer. I was not called in for a one-on-one because they had budget changes for the position. A month later, I was called in for a one-on-one. I was shown to a conference room for the first 2 rounds of interviews. First, I interviewed with 2 senior QA people. They were very prepared and took notes during the interview. The next round was with a senior developer. He had not read my resume beforehand and was not prepared. He just went throught he motions of the interview and read my resume as he went along. He also had his laptop and took notes. During both of these rounds they asked me the difference between white and black box testing. And, even though this was a QA position, they expected the person they hire to make bug fixes to the code. Then, I was shown to the hiring manager's office for the last round. He also had not read my resume. He turned to the last page and focused on my university. I graduated from university in 1993, so I was a bit perplexed. All together, he interviewed me about 10 minutes. I am sure that he already knew who he was going to hire and just went through the interview process with other candidates as part of his job.

Interview Questions

• The most unexpected was really a statement. What the hiring manager said to me at the end of the interview left me disappointed. I quote, "You are VERY qualified for the position. However, if I don't hire you it's because there may be someone a little bit better." And, he held up his hand with his thumb and index finger very close together to demonstrate a "litte bit".   Answer Question

CLU Reporter Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Rovi in February 2013.

Interview

It took two weeks total in between aplying to the job and getting a offer.

Interview Questions

• Give an exemplo of a problem resolving situation that I had in my career.   Answer Question

Content Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Radnor, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Rovi (Radnor, PA).

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter in California after I applied for a position in Radnor, PA. I had a phone interview with HR and then the hiring manager., two face-to-face interviews (one with hiring manager and another with the Content VP), and two telephone interviews with the Engineering VP and the Director of Product Management. I was asking standard interview questions about my work experience and many questions related to how I would handle different situations and how I would describe my personality.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in five years?   1 Answer

Negotiation

After I was offered, I asked for more and they gave me what I asked for. I had to wait to hear back two or three days.

Senior Software (Front-End) Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Rovi (San Francisco, CA) in December 2012.

Interview

Initial communications involved one-on-one phone calls with their senior recruiter gauging my fit for the position and were followed up by a group phone conversation with team leaders, all of which were relaxed and pleasant conversations.

Interview Questions

• How would you rate yourself with Javascript? (between 1 and 10)   1 Answer

Senior Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Rovi (San Diego, CA).

Interview

I was approached by e-mail and my first interview was over the phone. After that I was invited to attend several interviews at the HQ. I had interviews with possible future peers and senior level managers including human resources. One of the interviewers was specialist on company culture who rated if I was a culturally good fit for the company.

Interview Questions

• At the cultural interview I was asked about my reaction being in a fully loaded cinema when I suspect that a fire is going to start.   Answer Question

Staffing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Rovi (Santa Clara, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

Started off with a phone screen with a recruiter, 1st round of interview, 2nd round, then offer extension. Great company, good team, well organized process. The team was very friendly which set a positive interview atmosphere. Everyone who I interviewed was knowledgeable about the business and industry.

Interview Questions

• Asked about what I do currently and how that can transfer to the job I am interviewing for.   Answer Question

Salary was below what I wanted.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burbank, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Rovi (Burbank, CA) in September 2011.

Interview

The interview process was very straight-forward. I went in for an interview with my soon-to-be boss and a few soon-to-be coworkers. No hard questions were asked, everything was pretty standard, such as why do you think you're a good fit, what would you bring to the company, etc. After that, I received a phone call with an offer, I negotiated for a little bit higher, and signed the papers. The entire process was very quick, maybe one to two weeks from interview to signed papers.

Interview Questions

• There honestly weren't any difficult or unexpected questions. Every question was the standard interview question you'd be asked in any company, tell me about your work history, what are your strengths, why do you want to work here, etc.   Answer Question

Quality Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burbank, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Rovi (Burbank, CA) in August 2011.

Interview

It was very easy . The interview panel was super friendly. They presented me the offer i wanted

Interview Questions

• Remove the duplicate rows from the table   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Rovi (Santa Clara, CA) in November 2010.

Interview

One of the longest most drawn out interviews I have ever been involved with. Expect them to ask you for sample code. For example they asked me to bring a sample of my C+ code. Each member reviewed it and critiqued my code. It became very interesting when one of them didn't like the choice of a word in the documentation of my code. He didn't make any mention that I produced a solution with 50% less lines then what they were expecting and far more memory management techniques. Also be prepared for a panel interview with the recruiter, manager and some other members of the team. They like their egos stroked so make sure you get the names of the people you will be interviewer with and look them up on LinkedIn. For best results email the manager directly and avoid the recruiting team.

Interview Questions

• If you were asked to forfeit a vacation with you family for an urgent project, what would you do?   Answer Question
    • If you were to trouble shoot code of an employee who was terminated what would your fist step be.   Answer Question

Negotiation

You can haggle. If they want you the will keep going up. I made up that I had other offers just to drive up the salary.

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burbank, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Rovi (Burbank, CA) in November 2010.

Interview

I new the hiring manager who was aware of my skills and personality and knew I fit the opening he had available. He pursued me.

Interview Questions

• What have you been doing for the past couple of years while not working?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Simple. I knew what the top end of the pay scale was and insisted upon it.