Royal Air Force

Very Difficult Interview

Officer Selection Interview

Officer Selection
Cranwell, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Royal Air Force in February 2013.

Interview Details – Basic details of qualifications at career centre, very details application form.
RAF Cranwell, Lincolnshire, for assessment centre, 3 days + medical examinations, fitness test (no longer a case of just having a pulse) a pannel interview, group leadership exercises (all day!), applitudes test. It's full on!

Interview Question – What is the role modern airpower in peace keeping operations.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Other fish to fry

RAF Officer Interview

RAF Officer
Liverpool, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Royal Air Force.

Interview Details – The recruiting process was conducted at the specialist careers office

Interview Question – How old were you yesterday in years, months and days   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not applicable to this employer

Very Easy Interview

Mechanical Technician Interview

Mechanical Technician

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Royal Air Force.

Interview Details – Aptitude test to ensure you have the aptitude to carry out relevant job training - Very informal interview - More like a chat.

Interview Question – No difficult questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not negotiable. Take it or leave it

Non Commissioned Officer/Airman/Woman Interview

Non Commissioned Officer/Airman/Woman
London, England (UK)

I applied in-person and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Royal Air Force in March 2009.

Interview Details – You will need to be fit! There is a pre-joining fitness test. I don't want to put specific requirements on as they change, but if you can't run for 3 miles at a steady pace you will need to work on your fitness. There are also press ups and sit ups to pass. Check with the local careers office for details. You will need to do two interviews (if my memory serves me correctly) as well as an apptitude test which is multiple choice and has different scoring sections (maths, reasoning etc) you will then be scored and told if you scored high enough for the trade you want. After the process and selection you will be sent to RAF Halton for recruit training, this is not a reflection of life in the RAF and is often referred to as 'playing the game' (you will hear that a lot). This will be difficult if you have not had experience of the military before, but it will also be very enjoyable and you will make new friends (some for life).

Interview Question – You will be asked about your life, but as long as you are honest and relaxed you should have no problems. Also learn a little about the RAF, when it was formed, what operation theatres we are involved in etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation, you either accept or decline

Mechanical Technician Interview

Mechanical Technician
Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I applied in-person and interviewed at Royal Air Force.

Interview Details – Apptitude test and Medical. Several interviews. This can be a long drawn out affair depending on recruitment quotas. You are usually asked for a choice of 3 vocations as you may not qualify for your first choice. The recruiters do tend to steer applicants into roles that the recruiter wants filled rather than what the applicant wants to do.

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation

RAF Officer Interview

RAF Officer
Cranwell, England (UK)

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Royal Air Force.

Interview Details – Initial 5 day selection process to decide whether you have the leadership potential. This is followed by a 9 month initial officer training selection process. After successful graduation then on to trade specific training/ selection, which could be another 6 months to 2 years.

Interview Question – What is your view on taking life of the enemy?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Engineering Officer Royal Air Force Interview

Engineering Officer Royal Air Force
Grantham, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Royal Air Force in June 2008.

Interview Details – Day one involved arriving at the selection centre at RAF Cranwell, after which we were given a briefing of what to expect over the next few days. Day two was an early rise for aptitude tests. These took up to 6 hours, not pleasant. After that we did group exercises and individual exercises for leadership and planning assessments. Finally came a board interview and a medical and a debrief. Results can be as quick as 2 weeks or can take as long as a few months.

Interview Question – Are you prepared to kill or be killed.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Lifestyle not appealing.

Worked for Royal Air Force? Contribute to the Community!