Royal Air Force Interview Questions & Reviews

7 interviews

3.6

Officer Selection Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Cranwell, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in Cranwell, England (UK)

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Royal Air Force in February 2013.

Basic details of qualifications at career centre, very details application form.
    RAF Cranwell, Lincolnshire, for assessment centre, 3 days + medical examinations, fitness test (no longer a case of just having a pulse) a pannel interview, group leadership exercises (all day!), applitudes test. It's full on!

Interview Questions
    • What is the role modern airpower in peace keeping operations.   View Answer

Other fish to fry

RAF Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Liverpool, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Liverpool, England (UK)

I interviewed through a recruiter - interviewed at Royal Air Force.

The recruiting process was conducted at the specialist careers office

Interview Questions
    Not applicable to this employer

Mechanical Technician Interview

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Royal Air Force.

Aptitude test to ensure you have the aptitude to carry out relevant job training - Very informal interview - More like a chat.

Interview Questions
    Not negotiable. Take it or leave it

Non Commissioned Officer/Airman/Woman Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I interviewed in-person. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Royal Air Force in March 2009.

You will need to be fit! There is a pre-joining fitness test. I don't want to put specific requirements on as they change, but if you can't run for 3 miles at a steady pace you will need to work on your fitness. There are also press ups and sit ups to pass. Check with the local careers office for details. You will need to do two interviews (if my memory serves me correctly) as well as an apptitude test which is multiple choice and has different scoring sections (maths, reasoning etc) you will then be scored and told if you scored high enough for the trade you want. After the process and selection you will be sent to RAF Halton for recruit training, this is not a reflection of life in the RAF and is often referred to as 'playing the game' (you will hear that a lot). This will be difficult if you have not had experience of the military before, but it will also be very enjoyable and you will make new friends (some for life).

Interview Questions
    • You will be asked about your life, but as long as you are honest and relaxed you should have no problems. Also learn a little about the RAF, when it was formed, what operation theatres we are involved in etc.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation, you either accept or decline

Mechanical Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I interviewed in-person - interviewed at Royal Air Force.

Apptitude test and Medical. Several interviews. This can be a long drawn out affair depending on recruitment quotas. You are usually asked for a choice of 3 vocations as you may not qualify for your first choice. The recruiters do tend to steer applicants into roles that the recruiter wants filled rather than what the applicant wants to do.

There is no negotiation

RAF Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cranwell, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cranwell, England (UK)

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Royal Air Force.

Initial 5 day selection process to decide whether you have the leadership potential. This is followed by a 9 month initial officer training selection process. After successful graduation then on to trade specific training/ selection, which could be another 6 months to 2 years.

No negotiation.

Engineering Officer Royal Air Force Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Grantham, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in Grantham, England (UK)

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Royal Air Force in June 2008.

Day one involved arriving at the selection centre at RAF Cranwell, after which we were given a briefing of what to expect over the next few days. Day two was an early rise for aptitude tests. These took up to 6 hours, not pleasant. After that we did group exercises and individual exercises for leadership and planning assessments. Finally came a board interview and a medical and a debrief. Results can be as quick as 2 weeks or can take as long as a few months.

Interview Questions
    • Are you prepared to kill or be killed.   View Answer

Lifestyle not appealing.

Worked for Royal Air Force? Contribute to the Community!