Royal Air Force Interview Questions

Updated Aug 26, 2015

3.5

Anonymous Employee in Cranwell, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Royal Air Force (Cranwell, England (UK)).

Interview

3 day selection process. A combination of group and individual work including interviews, group discussions, leadership tasks and exercises. Interviewers don't give much away and it's relatively hard to know how you're doing.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about current affairs?   1 Answer

Officer Cadet Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Royal Air Force.

Interview

Apply at Uni careers fair, attend short 10 minute informal interview, fill out an application form then invited for longer 40 minute interview. Second interview has two halves, first half is personal achievements and second half is on your military knowledge and opinions on world issues. Just make sure you shave and brush up on your knowledge of NATO, the RAF and some current affairs - they ask you to discuss headlines within the past year.

RAF Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Liverpool, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Royal Air Force (Liverpool, England (UK)).

Interview

The recruiting process was conducted at the specialist careers office

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not applicable to this employer

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Royal Air Force.

Interview

Aptitude test to ensure you have the aptitude to carry out relevant job training - Very informal interview - More like a chat.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not negotiable. Take it or leave it

Mechanical Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Royal Air Force (Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)).

Interview

Apptitude test and Medical. Several interviews. This can be a long drawn out affair depending on recruitment quotas. You are usually asked for a choice of 3 vocations as you may not qualify for your first choice. The recruiters do tend to steer applicants into roles that the recruiter wants filled rather than what the applicant wants to do.

Negotiation

There is no negotiation

Officer Selection Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cranwell, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Royal Air Force (Cranwell, England (UK)) in February 2013.

Interview

Basic details of qualifications at career centre, very details application form. RAF Cranwell, Lincolnshire, for assessment centre, 3 days + medical examinations, fitness test (no longer a case of just having a pulse) a pannel interview, group leadership exercises (all day!), applitudes test. It's full on!

Interview Questions

• What is the role modern airpower in peace keeping operations.   1 Answer

Other fish to fry

Anonymous Employee in Cranwell, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Royal Air Force (Cranwell, England (UK)).

Interview

Initial 5 day selection process to decide whether you have the leadership potential. This is followed by a 9 month initial officer training selection process. After successful graduation then on to trade specific training/ selection, which could be another 6 months to 2 years.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation.

RAF Pilot Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cranwell, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Royal Air Force (Cranwell, England (UK)) in June 2011.

Interview

3 days selection centre. Interview (panel), leadership exercises (individual and group), medical, fitness test, full range of aptitude tests. This follows a successful short (30 min interview at a local careers office).

Interview Questions

• When was you born? How old does that make you in years and complete months?   Answer Question

Non Commissioned Officer/Airman/Woman Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Royal Air Force (London, England (UK)) in March 2009.

Interview

You will need to be fit! There is a pre-joining fitness test. I don't want to put specific requirements on as they change, but if you can't run for 3 miles at a steady pace you will need to work on your fitness. There are also press ups and sit ups to pass. Check with the local careers office for details. You will need to do two interviews (if my memory serves me correctly) as well as an apptitude test which is multiple choice and has different scoring sections (maths, reasoning etc) you will then be scored and told if you scored high enough for the trade you want. After the process and selection you will be sent to RAF Halton for recruit training, this is not a reflection of life in the RAF and is often referred to as 'playing the game' (you will hear that a lot). This will be difficult if you have not had experience of the military before, but it will also be very enjoyable and you will make new friends (some for life).

Interview Questions

• You will be asked about your life, but as long as you are honest and relaxed you should have no problems. Also learn a little about the RAF, when it was formed, what operation theatres we are involved in etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation, you either accept or decline

Engineering Officer Royal Air Force Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grantham, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Royal Air Force (Grantham, England (UK)) in June 2008.

Interview

Day one involved arriving at the selection centre at RAF Cranwell, after which we were given a briefing of what to expect over the next few days. Day two was an early rise for aptitude tests. These took up to 6 hours, not pleasant. After that we did group exercises and individual exercises for leadership and planning assessments. Finally came a board interview and a medical and a debrief. Results can be as quick as 2 weeks or can take as long as a few months.

Interview Questions

• Are you prepared to kill or be killed.   1 Answer

Lifestyle not appealing.