Royal Bank of Canada

Relevance Date Difficulty

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager

Interviewed at Royal Bank of Canada

Interview Details – Interviewing process was straightforward and quick. Met with a variety staff including the department head. Also spoke to several people via phone in Canada.

Associate Interview

Associate
Houston, TX

I interviewed at Royal Bank of Canada in August 2011.

Interview Details – A recruiter contacted me regarding the position. An interview was scheduled the following week at the Houston office. One day of interviews with five individuals. (An associate, 3 VPs and the MD of the group).

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for a Canadian investment bank in Houston?   Answer Question

Trading Interview

Trading
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Royal Bank of Canada in February 2012.

Interview Details – We first applied online through submitting resume and cover letter. After several weeks we got the response about doing a trading analysis on paper and send it back. Later came the email informing of the next round. Next round happened on site where we met the people from the company the day before. Then the interview for half a day.

Interview Question – why trading?   Answer Question

Capital Markets Interview

Capital Markets
New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at Royal Bank of Canada in November 2011.

Interview Details – Fit interview with several technical questions. How do you value a company? How would you value a firm using multiples? how would a change in depreciation be reflected on all financial statements?

Interview Question – How do you value a firm?   Answer Question

Vice President - Investment Banking Interview

Vice President - Investment Banking
Houston, TX

The process took 6 months - interviewed at Royal Bank of Canada in May 2009.

Interview Details – Process was long long long with no clear outcome (except no offer) and formal environment. Not sure what they were looking for but not really interested after meeting. They look for one type of candidate with no understanding of specific market experience and advantages of thinking outside the box. They say they want to be Tier 1 bank but i can not think how this will be possible given their existing and prospective resources.

Interview Question – Example of transactions and variety of deals.   View Answer

QA Interview

QA
New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at Royal Bank of Canada in February 2010.

Interview Details – phone screen stuck to the basics then the in person was much more technical specific.
Specific questions about fix message and fix tags seemed to be a hot topic. I guess it would be nice to have those memorized like a high school elements table for chem but alas i find it easier to know how to reference that level of detail

Interview Questions

• what are the minimal fix tags required for an ARCA targeted order   Answer Question
  • what is the difference between tag 44 and 150   View Answer

Senior Business Systems Analyst Interview

Senior Business Systems Analyst

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Royal Bank of Canada.

Interview Details – manager will tell about the project overview and they like to hear from us. it is better to be good at story telling.

Interview Question – can you become full time after some time ( if you go for contract position)   Answer Question

Technical Service Analyst Interview

Technical Service Analyst
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Royal Bank of Canada in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online through their website and was called for an hour long in-person interview at their downtown office. It was a panel of 3 people. This was a one-stage interview process.

It was a scripted interview. All questions were behavioral. They wrote down answers on a sheet as I spoke.

Interview Questions

Customer Services Representative Interview

Customer Services Representative

Interviewed at Royal Bank of Canada

Interview Details – Dropped off resume in person to a local branch. Branches do not hire individually and passed on resume to HR. Got a call from HR a week later about a phone interview the next day and to complete an online questionnaire. Questionnaire takes about 20min to complete and is all behavioural questions.
Phone interview: Questions fall under "customer service", "sales", "problem resolution" categories. Lasted about 45min. Asked questions like "why a teller", "what does customer service mean to you", "tell me a time you went above and beyond customer expectations". Talked about few items on resume.
Got a callback a couple days after about an in-person interview with a local branch manager.
In-person interview: Lasted about 30min. More like a chat than an interview. Asked questions like "what are your short-term and long-term goals", "tell me about yourself". Explained in more detail about position.
Got a call back the next day making the offer.

Interview Question – Nothing really difficult   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – N/A

Compensation Analysis Interview

Compensation Analysis
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Royal Bank of Canada in June 2014.

Interview Details – 1 Submitting your Resume and Cover Letter
2 Telephone Interview after one week, ask questions about-Why you like compensation? where did you get your bachelor? what did you do about compensation
3 On site Interview-go through your resume-your education, your work experience, your current project

Interview Question – What is the relationship between HR and Business?   Answer Question