Royal Bank of Scotland Customer Services Officer Interview Questions

Updated Jun 6, 2015

2.6

Customer Service Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Urmston, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Urmston, England (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

I was invited to a 1:1 interview after completing telephone interview by giving an in-dept knowledge of what I expected the role to consists as well as answering 2 basic competency questions including 'Tell me about a time where you provided exceptional customer service'. The interviewer explained the interview process will be broken up into 3 parts: 1) Current Situation - what your currently doing, what you'll expect to do in the role, how well you've familiarised yourself with the role, why you want to leave your current job, why RBS Experience Education etc. etc. 2) Competency Based Questions - I had 3 competency based questions but instead of giving them the examples they provided me with examples and asked a few questions in relation to them e.g. a customer has walked into branch and doesn't understand charges on his statement, what would you do to help him understand, what would you do if he became angry and started shouting, how would you control the situation/ You just finished the transaction with the customer and noticed she is due for an account review, what would you say to her to ask if she would be interested in a review, what if she isn't available at present (book appointment) etc. etc. 3) Role Play - 3rd part consisted of a role play where I was given a fake statement and had to answer questions the 'customer' (interviewer) asked very basic questions such as how much was I charged for my phone bill on 13th April or how much standing order do I pay, I got 20/20 and they are very basic questions you just need to prove your attention to detail. The role play also consisted of a random product (I had a holiday package) and you are to sell that holiday package to the customer (interviewer) so I got given an A4 sheet of paper with information about the holiday and had 4 mins to read through it and then offer it to the customer. TIPS: Don't be afraid to ask questions, you have to ask questions to show your interest for the role and organisation so make sure you prepared a few questions before going in. When answering the competency based questions be as specific and as detailed as you can be as that will get you the extra marks so don't just say 'I provided exceptional customer service and empathised.... etc. etc.' they're really looking for I provided exceptional customer service by asking the customer to sit down and offering to get him/her refreshments whilst I looked into the matter with the correct internal department. Provide as much detail as possible because they won't probe your answers. When selling or doing the role play make sure to understand the customers needs and ensure their needs are met so for instance the holiday package I was selling had an inclusive children activity centre so by asking the customer if she has children I was able to mention that to her. I won't be accepting the offer because I'm very much happy with my current organisation as they agreed for a full-time position after I finish my studies.

Interview Questions

• Why RBS?   Answer Question
  • So what have you been doing/been involved with throughout the past 2 years?   Answer Question
  • A customer has walked into branch and is very frustrated about being charged that she didn't know about. How would you go about helping this customer? What would you do to help the customer understand the charges? What information would you provide to this customer? What would you do if the customer became angry and started shouting?   Answer Question
  • A manager has introduced a new product the group wants to sell at your branch. How would you effectively manage your time between understanding the product as well as keeping on track with current targets and activities? How would you ensure you understand the product? What would you say to your manager?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Royal Bank of Scotland

Customer Services Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (London, England (UK)).

Interview

After applying via sending my CV. I was contacted via email about a schedules telephone interview. This followed a week later. The telephone interview lasted roughly 30-40 minutes. Competency questions linking to experience, team work, using initiative questions. Was pretty simple successfully passed that stage was scheduled next for a face to face interview. Could have been far more prepared standard type questions. Why rbs?

Interview Questions

• why rbs? Why customer service? what makes you stand out from other? what do you know about the company?   Answer Question

Customer Services Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (London, England (UK)) in February 2012.

Interview

They basically ask you how you have demonstrated certain attributes in the past, etc. But what really seemed to impress the lady interviewing me was any passed experience of selling. I had experience and they were impressed. This is because, being in the call center, you'll have to do some selling.

Interview Questions

• trying to impress with selling techniques and selling past experience if you have any.   1 Answer

Too much travelling involved

Customer Services Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Leeds, England (UK)) in April 2010.

Interview

I was placed with this company via an agency (Manpower), so the interview was conducted by my liaison there. My first contact with RBS was the two weeks of intensive training, and the trainers were laid-back, knowledgeable, and helpful throughout the process. I was sorry to have to leave (which I did because my husband and I were moving due to his job).

Interview Questions

• I always find the "how do you approach a massive workload" question tricky, because some employers seem to want to hear you prioritize and focus on one at a time, whereas others want to hear that you can work on several things at once, switching between tasks.   Answer Question

Negotiation

None.

Customer Service Officer Interview

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in September 2009.

Interview

The Interview process is slow. Wrote an online questionnaire. This is to know if you have the personality they want. I then had a telephone Interview two days after wards. I was asked very simple maths questions. 3 in all. A calculator is allowed. All the questions asked were competency based, where you have to give scenerios of what happened and what role you played. I was told immediately that I passed. I had a 1 to 1 interview 5 weeks after. Interview questions were same as telephone interview questions. Its ok to use the same answer. I was called the next day and told I Passed but that the vacancy was filled. I was invited for the final interview 7 months thereafter. Same kind of questions. I passed and got the offer the next day. Advice is that use different scenerios when aswering the questions but all should be related on effective and quality customer service. Good luck.

Interview Questions

• Give us a scenerio when you handled a difficult customer.   Answer Question
    • Give us a scenerio when you objected to you team leader and refused to follow the normal procedures.   Answer Question

I got a better offer.