Royal Bank of Scotland

Royal Bank of Scotland Interview Questions

Updated Nov 22, 2014
Updated Nov 22, 2014

Capital Markets Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Applied online through campus career site. After about a week got an on campus interview. Interview was mostly behavior and just trying to get to know you. Interviewer was very nice and was pretty relaxed. I only got asked one technical question, how would you assess the credit of a company?

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time you faced a challenge and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question
    • What would you look at when looking at the credit of a company?   Answer Question

Operations Analyst Interview

I applied to one job, but qualified for a few so I had two interviews by two teams. I applied online and a RBS rep got back to me within a week. The process took three-four weeks from application to interview. Interview was fairly easy. The only difficult part is that you are being interviewed by 2 teams of 3 people performing 3 different functions so it's hard to cater to one function and show why you are a good fit.

Complaint is that RBS HR at the Stamford, NY is incredibly slow from application, interview, and response. They did not even reply with a definitive yes or no. Look, if you're scared of hurting my feelings, I can deal with rejection, but I cannot get back wasted time so please don't waste my time on my job search.

Building is state of the art. They have a large trading floor, gym (with sauna), food courts, and roof top dining.

Anyone would be lucky to work there because the building is great, but RBS is a dying company and shrinking its US presence...just read what the CEO is saying. Anyways upwards and onwards.

I didn't like some of the WASPY characters and I knew I wouldn't get it because of a lack of diversity in the company.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us what brings you into RBS today.   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

I applied online and received a phone call within two weeks telling me I was selected for a phone interview. The phone interview only took about 30 minutes and was mostly personality/skills based questions. Three days later I received a phone call telling me I needed to come to their onsite location to finish the interview process. I interviewed for about an hour in a half during their onsite interviews and received a notification about two weeks later saying I was hired.

Interview Questions
    • How many pancakes are eaten on any given day in New York City   Answer Question

Finance Interview

Typical interview, nothing exceptional, it was a 1 off role for a one off project. So nothing should be read into these comments for new recruitment. It was professional & they are a professional organisation.

No negotiation

Operations Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

I met with a total of 4 individuals when I interviewed for the firm. All of the questions were related to what the current role entailed and my background and professional experience.
    I met with the Managing Director, two of the VPs and another analyst. They were all very professional and laid back. No major surprises, as long as you know your information and can back it with real examples you will be fine.

Summer Analyst Interview

First round phone interview- FIT questions
    Second round at Stamford office- focus once again on fit

Interview Questions
    • Nothing that was completely unexpected, it was more of a conversation   Answer Question

Coverage Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

They actually interviewed me for two positions without letting me know. the other senior was the head of sales of the branch. He asked many technical questions on bonds and derivatives and I was only partially ready for it

no negotiation

Vice President Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

I started working at RBS as a contractor and then was hired as a full time employee, as are many contractors. At the present time, the company is trying to eliminate contractors since they are more costly than are full time employees, which RBS doesn't pay well.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions: it was simply a matter of "do you want the job or we will get rid of you".   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation - here's the pay, take or leave it.

Markets Summer Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in February 2014.

2 Interviews - One phone, one on campus. Phone interview was very laid back, mostly gauging personality and walking through resume. Typical "can I sit next to you for 12 hours a day" interview. Second round a bit more intense, but again laid back. Pitch an idea. Tell me about the market, etc. One or two behaviorals if I remember correctly, but the rest was just shooting it with the interviewer. Very satisfied with the interview experience and unexpectedly got the job

No negotiation. Accepted after about 2 weeks

RBS Markets Summer Analyst Interview

Submitted my application through my school's career services website, interviewed 2 weeks later. In person interview, 30 minutes, no technical questions - all fit based. Great conversation about my background, experience, and what my career plans were.