Royal Bank of Scotland Interview Questions

Updated Jul 4, 2015

Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview

Interview

One on campus interview, one phone interview due to snow storm. Honestly amongst most banks probably the most casual and comfortable interview environment. Most of the emphasis is on why banking, why RBS, and why you are a good candidate.

Auditor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

3weeks, very informal, met with 5 sr leaders in same day, most asked similar questions, 3 were busy with their phones during interview. One would not look me in the eyes. All were emphatic that ribs had turned the corner.

Vice President Procurement Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Stamford, CT) in January 2015.

Interview

Met hiring leader and coworkers. Found moral was down as they had and we're having a lot of layoffs. Offer of employment was held up until some news from HQ was in press and that announced more layoffs and possibly leaving Stamford CT. Add to that the salary and bonus was that of a manager's pay elsewhere and I declined the offer.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here when we are laying off half the staff?   1 Answer
    • Will you take the job with zero increase net comp?   1 Answer

Capital Markets Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Interview

Applied online through campus career site. After about a week got an on campus interview. Interview was mostly behavior and just trying to get to know you. Interviewer was very nice and was pretty relaxed. I only got asked one technical question, how would you assess the credit of a company?

Interview Questions

• Explain a time you faced a challenge and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question
    • What would you look at when looking at the credit of a company?   Answer Question

Capital Markets Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Stamford, CT) in October 2014.

Interview

For the first round, I interviewed with an associate and a managing director over the phone. I was invited for a Super Day at the company a few weeks later. There, I had two interviews, both with two people. The first interview included a vice president and the associate who was on the first phone call. The second one included a vice president and a managing director.

Operations Analyst Interview

Interview

I applied to one job, but qualified for a few so I had two interviews by two teams. I applied online and a RBS rep got back to me within a week. The process took three-four weeks from application to interview. Interview was fairly easy. The only difficult part is that you are being interviewed by 2 teams of 3 people performing 3 different functions so it's hard to cater to one function and show why you are a good fit.

Complaint is that RBS HR at the Stamford, NY is incredibly slow from application, interview, and response. They did not even reply with a definitive yes or no. Look, if you're scared of hurting my feelings, I can deal with rejection, but I cannot get back wasted time so please don't waste my time on my job search.

Building is state of the art. They have a large trading floor, gym (with sauna), food courts, and roof top dining.

Anyone would be lucky to work there because the building is great, but RBS is a dying company and shrinking its US presence...just read what the CEO is saying. Anyways upwards and onwards.

I didn't like some of the WASPY characters and I knew I wouldn't get it because of a lack of diversity in the company.

Interview Questions

• Tell us what brings you into RBS today.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Interview

I applied online and received a phone call within two weeks telling me I was selected for a phone interview. The phone interview only took about 30 minutes and was mostly personality/skills based questions. Three days later I received a phone call telling me I needed to come to their onsite location to finish the interview process. I interviewed for about an hour in a half during their onsite interviews and received a notification about two weeks later saying I was hired.

Interview Questions

• How many pancakes are eaten on any given day in New York City   Answer Question

Finance Interview

Interview

Typical interview, nothing exceptional, it was a 1 off role for a one off project. So nothing should be read into these comments for new recruitment. It was professional & they are a professional organisation.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation

Summer Analyst Interview

Interview

First round phone interview- FIT questions
    Second round at Stamford office- focus once again on fit

Interview Questions

• Nothing that was completely unexpected, it was more of a conversation   Answer Question

Operations Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Interview

I met with a total of 4 individuals when I interviewed for the firm. All of the questions were related to what the current role entailed and my background and professional experience.
    I met with the Managing Director, two of the VPs and another analyst. They were all very professional and laid back. No major surprises, as long as you know your information and can back it with real examples you will be fine.