Royal Bank of Scotland Interview Questions

Updated Aug 30, 2015

3.1

Capital Markets Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Interview

Applied online through campus career site. After about a week got an on campus interview. Interview was mostly behavior and just trying to get to know you. Interviewer was very nice and was pretty relaxed. I only got asked one technical question, how would you assess the credit of a company?

Interview Questions

• Explain a time you faced a challenge and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question
    • What would you look at when looking at the credit of a company?   Answer Question

Capital Markets Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Stamford, CT) in October 2014.

Interview

For the first round, I interviewed with an associate and a managing director over the phone. I was invited for a Super Day at the company a few weeks later. There, I had two interviews, both with two people. The first interview included a vice president and the associate who was on the first phone call. The second one included a vice president and a managing director.

Operations Analyst Interview

Interview

I applied to one job, but qualified for a few so I had two interviews by two teams. I applied online and a RBS rep got back to me within a week. The process took three-four weeks from application to interview. Interview was fairly easy. The only difficult part is that you are being interviewed by 2 teams of 3 people performing 3 different functions so it's hard to cater to one function and show why you are a good fit. Complaint is that RBS HR at the Stamford, NY is incredibly slow from application, interview, and response. They did not even reply with a definitive yes or no. Look, if you're scared of hurting my feelings, I can deal with rejection, but I cannot get back wasted time so please don't waste my time on my job search. Building is state of the art. They have a large trading floor, gym (with sauna), food courts, and roof top dining. Anyone would be lucky to work there because the building is great, but RBS is a dying company and shrinking its US presence...just read what the CEO is saying. Anyways upwards and onwards. I didn't like some of the WASPY characters and I knew I wouldn't get it because of a lack of diversity in the company.

Interview Questions

• Tell us what brings you into RBS today.   1 Answer

Operations Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Interview

I met with a total of 4 individuals when I interviewed for the firm. All of the questions were related to what the current role entailed and my background and professional experience. I met with the Managing Director, two of the VPs and another analyst. They were all very professional and laid back. No major surprises, as long as you know your information and can back it with real examples you will be fine.

RBS Markets Summer Analyst Interview

Interview

Submitted my application through my school's career services website, interviewed 2 weeks later. In person interview, 30 minutes, no technical questions - all fit based. Great conversation about my background, experience, and what my career plans were.

Rick Control Interview

Interview

Met with two people from middle office department for approx. 20 minutes each. Do not tell them you are interested in transition to a front office position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Stamford, CT) in March 2012.

Interview

I was selected for an on campus interview.half hour 2-1 with recent full time employees. Got a call back to come for the "Super Friday" in Stamford. Met with many other students who were interviewing for all summer positions. Had two separate half hour interviews again 2-1 with managers in the department. I am waiting to send thank you emails this monday and will wait to hear back. I thought it was a little odd they are the by far the quickest for having both interviews done before other companies even offer the first interview times. Stamford is nice, and RBS is known for their comfortable working environment.

Capital Markets SA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Stamford, CT) in February 2012.

Interview

Consisted of a first round interview on campus and then a superday at the Stamford office

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Hartford, CT) in March 2011.

Interview

Approached on Linked in for the interview. Had a couple of telephonic interviews and then I was called onsite for the interview. The trip was well arranged, and everything was smooth and easy. On site there were 5 different interviews held, most of them centered around typical SAS related knowledge.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Houston, TX) in October 2010.

Interview

I did not have any contact with the company previously. I simply dropped my resume online and was asked to interview while they were on campus at my university. I was interviewed by two men: one VP and one analyst. The interview was almost entirely technical and one of them seemed to enjoy watching me suffer through the interview. I did okay at best.

Interview Questions

• Walk us through an adjustment you made on a purchase balance sheet for your previous employer.   Answer Question
    • How do you determine terminal value?   Answer Question