Royal Bank of Scotland

Royal Bank of Scotland Interview Questions

Updated Jan 27, 2015
Updated Jan 27, 2015

Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview

One on campus interview, one phone interview due to snow storm. Honestly amongst most banks probably the most casual and comfortable interview environment. Most of the emphasis is on why banking, why RBS, and why you are a good candidate.

Mainframe Software Designer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in November 2014.

I got the Initial communication through email to attend a personal interview as it matches with their requirement.
    Interview process involved 3 rounds
    1) Written test - To explain and design a system including data base designing and estimation.
    2) Technical Interview
    3) Management interview

Managing the interview process was really very poor. In the initial communication I received it was stated that my reporting time is 9 am and it would be completed within 3 hours. I reported at 9 am however the written test was only given at 10:30 lasting for 1 hour. After the written test I was asked to sit in the lobby and wait for the second round. Spoke to HR at every hour to get the second round and she stated we will get back to me but she was not. After multiple follow ups with HR I got the second round interview after 5 pm.
    Technical round interview was completed and it was intimated to me that management interview would be done over the call in next couple of days as it is too late for the day. However I did not get any call. I called up the HR folks and they stated that there is no requirement now.

Very poor management, planning by recruiting HR team. They are not aware what they want, how they want and what time they want.

Interview Questions
    • How do you connect a CICS to a java system other than Web services, CTG, MQ and API?   Answer Question

Corporate Responsibilty Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Job advertisement. Invited for curry and interview. They didn't want to take a risk on me as a Politics student even though I got good interview feedback. The process was done in an Indian restaurant and you were given a meal (which was good) but the open environment for conducting interview was intimidating, you knew other candidates were listening to you. Trying to do more on corporate responsibility but not enough. Good business prizes diversity of thought in the long run.

Summer Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Group exercise involving a trading game and a dice. An individual presentation from a large set of given information. Finally, a set of two interviews one to one. The group exercise can be intense but it wasn't a relevant simulation of what trading really is like, trading isn't something done in a group and because of this it can result in a lot of confusion between the group members and you have to react instantly without having enough time to discuss hence not very effective.

Graduate Risk Analyst Interview

Having completed the online application I was invited to sit 3 online tests: situational, numerical and logical reasoning tests. After I have passed the test I was invited for a telephone interview. Telephone interview took 45 mins and the next day they have told me that I passed the benchmark. However with RBS passing a telephone interview does not guarantee AC, so i still waiting to hear back from them about that.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were as expected with first part of the interview focussing on my motivation to join RBS and that particular division. The second part involved two competency based questions: Tell me about a time you helped someone overcome their fear and reach their potential and tell me about the time when you showed your integrity. Both questions involved further subquestions.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

I applied for an internship in the Risk department. Filled in an application which include one question, why do you want to work for RBS. After completed the situational judgement test, numerical and verbal tests I was invited to a telephone interview. It was a structural interview, make sure you read all the tips and hints that explain the interview process beforehand as well as research about the company and the current market trend.

Human Resources Graduate Position Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in November 2014.

I think the questions were relevant and I was prepared (had notes) for all of them.
    The questions include:
    "Why do you want to work for RBS?"
    "What do you know about the graduate programme?"
    "How does it fit into your career goals?"
    "What will your work experience bring to RBS?"
    "What factors are affecting RBS?"

However, in the beginning of the interview I had problems understanding the strong accent of the person who interviewed me. The rest of the interview I was interrupted in the middle of every (even short) sentence as the interviewer "could not understand" some of the words I pronounced. I have no noticeable accent (at least no one at inside or outside university has told me this; people are always surprised that I have lived in the UK just for 3 years) and the lady had a very thick British accent.
    After the first part of the interview, the lady said I did not pass and I cannot proceed to the second part of the interview and then she read me the answers that candidates are expected to provide to the questions. I argued that the thoughts I expressed were completely the same except that I used synonym words as she always interrupted me because she "did not understand my pronouciation". The lady just wished me good luck in the application process next year and finished the interview.

I talked to my friend who got to the second part of the interview and the rest of the questions were something like this:
    "Give examples of a time when you followed the RBS values and eventual outcome"
    "Describe a time when you helped someone else achieve a goal"
    "On a scale of 1-10 with 1 being always standing up for what you believe and 10 doing something you didn't want to do because you were told to, where do you place yourself?"
    "Justify this by telling me a time you had to use your integrity."

Quick tip - prepare answers that include both university and workplace examples as you may be asked to concentrate on either of these.

In summary, I am very disappointed with this experience but I know there are great people out there who work for RBS (meeting some of them was the reason why I applied). Good luck.

Global Analyst Interview

Group Exercise followed by Interview. People were split into groups with 3 members in random and each group was given an industry and asked to analyse various risks involved and how to mitigate those risks.

Interview Questions
    • Multiple financial products were given and asked to rate it in the decreasing order of risk   Answer Question

Commercial Baking Graduate UK INtake 2015 Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Applied a month ago, numerical verbal and reasoning tests with talentq (quite hard) , telephone interview and assessment centre. There was a problem with my test results that they couldn't get. If i would do the process again i would definitely apply earlier. The first assesment centre may have been in November if i am correct. and i applied late november! expect the usual questions. the woman interviewing me was very polite!

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time you inspired someone (not in university or academic related) and how you did it?   Answer Question

Internal Audit Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Completed online application and online aptitude tests and was invited for the telephone interview a few days after. Telephone interview consists of 3 sections: Why RBS, Why the programme and 3 Competency Questions that you will be asked.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you were asked to do something you felt was wrong/ when you were against someones morals   Answer Question