Royal Bank of Scotland

Royal Bank of Scotland Interview Questions

Updated Dec 8, 2014
Updated Dec 8, 2014

AML Compliance Interview

Two rounds of interviews. Entire process took 4 months.

Got about 10% more than offered

Sales and Trading Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in October 2013.

First interview is over the phone. Typically a second year analyst that wants to make sure that you can hold an intelligent conversation and are amiable. (In S&T, your phone manner is very important as you're talking to clients on the phone throughout the day).

Second round was at Stamford, CT headquarters. Flew in the night before for a dinner and a meet and greet with current analysts and some people in management. You're given a schedule for your interviews that night. The interviews consists of three one on one interviews. The interviewers were from both the sales and trading side. They first one was fairly technically focused, the second was about a 50/50 split between technical and behavioral and the last one was almost all behavioral. They genuinely seemed like they wanted to get to know me and understand where I am coming from and what I know about the bank.

Interview Questions
    • How do you determine the rate you would charge a company when performing a repo? (Kept pushing for more and more details and factors, although not in an intimidating way, but rather to keep me thinking)
      I had done an internship prior that had required me to create a detailed report about the Fed's ability to spur continued economic recovery. This was probed in some detail and as they are a basically a debt shop, it's an area they know a lot about.

Answer Question

Rick Control Interview

Met with two people from middle office department for approx. 20 minutes each. Do not tell them you are interested in transition to a front office position.

Graduate Trainee Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

assessment center include behavoral interviews and group discussion and a test on IQ

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Applied online, got a call from the recruiter. From there a phone interview was scheduled and then an in-office interview.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Best to utilize headhunters to obtain interviews.

Not much negotiation.

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in October 2012.

One day of interviews. 3 interviews. First with the manager, second with two team leads, and the third on the phone with a corporate head. Very quick and painless. From first call to an offer made took about 2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • They seemed more interested in the job I was leaving than the job at hand.   View Answer
    They gave an offer, it was fair, but allowed no room for negotiation. Everyone at the location makes the same amount for the same position. They did not allow me to counter. So you either accept it or not.

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in March 2012.

I was selected for an on campus interview.half hour 2-1 with recent full time employees. Got a call back to come for the "Super Friday" in Stamford. Met with many other students who were interviewing for all summer positions. Had two separate half hour interviews again 2-1 with managers in the department. I am waiting to send thank you emails this monday and will wait to hear back. I thought it was a little odd they are the by far the quickest for having both interviews done before other companies even offer the first interview times. Stamford is nice, and RBS is known for their comfortable working environment.

Capital Markets SA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in February 2012.

Consisted of a first round interview on campus and then a superday at the Stamford office

Vice President Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in August 2011.

1 initial phone interview by hiring manager, 1 phone technical screen from UK, 1 face to face with 2 people

i asked and i got what i wanted.