Royal Bank of Scotland Interview Questions

Updated Jun 28, 2015

Coverage Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Interview

They actually interviewed me for two positions without letting me know. the other senior was the head of sales of the branch. He asked many technical questions on bonds and derivatives and I was only partially ready for it

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no negotiation

Vice President Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Stamford, CT).

Interview

I started working at RBS as a contractor and then was hired as a full time employee, as are many contractors. At the present time, the company is trying to eliminate contractors since they are more costly than are full time employees, which RBS doesn't pay well.

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult questions: it was simply a matter of "do you want the job or we will get rid of you".   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation - here's the pay, take or leave it.

Markets Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in February 2014.

Interview

2 Interviews - One phone, one on campus. Phone interview was very laid back, mostly gauging personality and walking through resume. Typical "can I sit next to you for 12 hours a day" interview. Second round a bit more intense, but again laid back. Pitch an idea. Tell me about the market, etc. One or two behaviorals if I remember correctly, but the rest was just shooting it with the interviewer. Very satisfied with the interview experience and unexpectedly got the job

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation. Accepted after about 2 weeks

Interview

Submitted my application through my school's career services website, interviewed 2 weeks later. In person interview, 30 minutes, no technical questions - all fit based. Great conversation about my background, experience, and what my career plans were.

AML Compliance Interview

Interview

Two rounds of interviews. Entire process took 4 months.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Got about 10% more than offered

Sales and Trading Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Stamford, CT) in October 2013.

Interview

First interview is over the phone. Typically a second year analyst that wants to make sure that you can hold an intelligent conversation and are amiable. (In S&T, your phone manner is very important as you're talking to clients on the phone throughout the day).

Second round was at Stamford, CT headquarters. Flew in the night before for a dinner and a meet and greet with current analysts and some people in management. You're given a schedule for your interviews that night. The interviews consists of three one on one interviews. The interviewers were from both the sales and trading side. They first one was fairly technically focused, the second was about a 50/50 split between technical and behavioral and the last one was almost all behavioral. They genuinely seemed like they wanted to get to know me and understand where I am coming from and what I know about the bank.

Interview Questions

• How do you determine the rate you would charge a company when performing a repo? (Kept pushing for more and more details and factors, although not in an intimidating way, but rather to keep me thinking)
      I had done an internship prior that had required me to create a detailed report about the Fed's ability to spur continued economic recovery. This was probed in some detail and as they are a basically a debt shop, it's an area they know a lot about.

Answer Question

Rick Control Interview

Interview

Met with two people from middle office department for approx. 20 minutes each. Do not tell them you are interested in transition to a front office position.

Graduate Trainee Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Interview

assessment center include behavoral interviews and group discussion and a test on IQ

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Boston, MA).

Interview

Applied online, got a call from the recruiter. From there a phone interview was scheduled and then an in-office interview.

Interview Questions

• None. Mostly fit questions.   1 Answer

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Stamford, CT).

Interview

Best to utilize headhunters to obtain interviews.

Negotiation

Not much negotiation.