Royal Bank of Scotland

Average Difficulty
222 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in October 2010.

Interview Details – I did not have any contact with the company previously. I simply dropped my resume online and was asked to interview while they were on campus at my university. I was interviewed by two men: one VP and one analyst. The interview was almost entirely technical and one of them seemed to enjoy watching me suffer through the interview. I did okay at best.

Interview Questions

• Walk us through an adjustment you made on a purchase balance sheet for your previous employer.   Answer Question
  • How do you determine terminal value?   Answer Question

Capital Markets Analyst Interview

Capital Markets Analyst
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in September 2010.

Interview Details – Interviewed through College Career Center, was a 2:1 interview, asked mostly fit based questions had me walk through my resume, finished up with some general market questions and my opinion of where the market might be by the end of the year, finished up with further description of the position.

Seemed to really click with 1 of the 2 interviewers, was not invited for a 2nd round

Interview Question – Describe to me a recent assignment/project that you found difficult, and how you approached completing it?   Answer Question

Sales and Trading Interview

Sales and Trading
Stamford, CT

The process took 5 days - interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in October 2009.

Interview Details – First you have your one on one interviews through your school. Then they invite you to a reception where you mingle with current employees. Then the second round is composed of 1 on 1 interviews with MD's and Heads of departments which are all fit based.

Interview Question – Why do you think the economy is the way it is today?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales and Trading Interview

Sales and Trading
Greenwich, CT

The process took a day - interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in October 2009.

Interview Details – The interview was with 3 members of the senior management team in the Sales and Trading field at RBS. The interview was difficult because they had three people asking questions and it was hard to focus on one person. The questions were largely background information, but some of the questions were why sales and trading and why this industry. My answer were not sufficient in many cases and they kept pushing me for a better answer. I worked at a small financial firm and they asked what products I was most interested in and I struggled to answer not because I didn't know, but just because I never thought about what "products" the company offered. Looking back, I can think of a million things, but at the time, they did not seem to care because I had worked for an insignificant financial firm. I needed to give them actual and pertinent answers and while they said this was more of an "informal" interview, it sure did not feel like it. They played the "laid back" card, but this was not the overall feeling of the interview.

Interview Question – What products interests you the most?   View Answer

Markets Analyst Interview

Markets Analyst
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in October 2009.

Interview Details – First round interview consists of fit questions. It was 2 interviewers at once, one from sales and the other from trading. They asked basic market questions as well as questions testing the candidates appetite for risk. The interview was easy in that no brain teasers were involved.

Interview Question – What do you think sales & trading is?   Answer Question

Analyst

Interview Details – The interviewer was cold and asked few questions. Not very interested in the process. Did grill me on parts of my resume. Be prepared to talk about modeling and other financial pieces. Other than that I just ran through my resume. I am not sure what she was looking for exactly. Did not give me much time to ask her questions.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself?   Answer Question

(M&IB) Operations Interview

(M&IB) Operations
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in January 2014.

Interview Details – First round: HR telephone interview, basically has two parts. The first 30 minutes is competency and fit, and if you do well enough you will proceed to the next 30 minutes, which is mostly work ethic and personality.
Was notified within 48 hours that I had passed the first round, although the next round was not guaranteed.
Waited around half a month to be invited to the assessment centre.
Second round: asessment centre with four components
1. A 1 hour one-on-one interview, exactly the same as telephone interview except face to face with an Operations member
2. Group Interview: each people gets a different case, and you have to work in a team to prioritize them.
3. Written Exercise: make a recommendation according to the group exercise
4. One-on-one role play: based on the group interview, you need to advance your case to the person the interviewer is pretending to be.

Interview Question – Role play interview includes questions where the interviewer can be quite hostile and unwilling to change.   View Answer

New Delhi (India)

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in July 2013.

Interview Details – Interview was quite technical in nature. Everything related to banking and finance were asked by the interviewer. Also, there were certain misleading information was provided relating to the growth and salary increment in interview as well as orientation + Induction. HR people are themselves not clear about the policies they will beat around the bush but will not answer your query.

Interview Question – Nothing was unexpected. It was fine.   Answer Question

Software Designer Interview

Software Designer
Chennai (India)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in August 2010.

Interview Details – It was a detail process, couple of rounds of Technical screening, followed by competency based written tests, then again a couple of rounds of Technical screening (this time face to face), then again Management rounds and finally a HR interview (salary expectation). It was a tough process but structured.

Interview Question – Usually all the questions are competency based and it was scenario based, questions are pretty much available or taken from many internet sites but with a decent preparation one can crack it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I had to negotiate twice to come closer to my expectation, you need to press foot and negotiate :)

Technology (M&IB) Graduate Programmer 2014 Interview

Technology (M&IB) Graduate Programmer 2014

I applied online and interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Interview Details – Fill out application online, attach a CV and covering letter, and complete a personality test. Different graduate programmes might have different reasoning tests. For Technology (M&IB) it was a logical reasoning test (has to be one of the most difficult tests I've ever seen, I think it was adaptive, questions got more difficult). Followed by a phone interview, which lasted about 30 mins, these are carried out by an external company. There were 3 questions and each had a few follow-up questions with it. 1. Why have you applied at RBS? (Follow up questions included 'do you think RBS are facing any challenges at the moment?') 2. Describe a time when you helped someone else achieve a goal. 3. Asked to rate self on a scale from 1-10 on doing the right thing. Which led to "describe a time when you were asked to do something you felt was wrong? Why did you feel that it was wrong? What actions did you take?"

Interview Question – Describe a time when you helped someone else achieve a goal. (Requested not to use an example from university)   Answer Question