Royal Bank of Scotland Interview Questions

Updated Jul 20, 2015

Graduate Programmer In Commercial Banking Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)).

Interview

Complete the application form and the psychometric tests. If you pass the screening process, you get invited for a competency-based telephone interview (45 mins). After the successful completion of it, you proceed to the last stage, which is the assessment centre. This involves a group exercise, a presentation, an individual interview and a written exercise.

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose RBS? Why this particular programme? Describe a time when you stood up for what you believe was right.   Answer Question

Customer Service Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Urmston, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Urmston, England (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

I was invited to a 1:1 interview after completing telephone interview by giving an in-dept knowledge of what I expected the role to consists as well as answering 2 basic competency questions including 'Tell me about a time where you provided exceptional customer service'. The interviewer explained the interview process will be broken up into 3 parts: 1) Current Situation - what your currently doing, what you'll expect to do in the role, how well you've familiarised yourself with the role, why you want to leave your current job, why RBS Experience Education etc. etc. 2) Competency Based Questions - I had 3 competency based questions but instead of giving them the examples they provided me with examples and asked a few questions in relation to them e.g. a customer has walked into branch and doesn't understand charges on his statement, what would you do to help him understand, what would you do if he became angry and started shouting, how would you control the situation/ You just finished the transaction with the customer and noticed she is due for an account review, what would you say to her to ask if she would be interested in a review, what if she isn't available at present (book appointment) etc. etc. 3) Role Play - 3rd part consisted of a role play where I was given a fake statement and had to answer questions the 'customer' (interviewer) asked very basic questions such as how much was I charged for my phone bill on 13th April or how much standing order do I pay, I got 20/20 and they are very basic questions you just need to prove your attention to detail. The role play also consisted of a random product (I had a holiday package) and you are to sell that holiday package to the customer (interviewer) so I got given an A4 sheet of paper with information about the holiday and had 4 mins to read through it and then offer it to the customer. TIPS: Don't be afraid to ask questions, you have to ask questions to show your interest for the role and organisation so make sure you prepared a few questions before going in. When answering the competency based questions be as specific and as detailed as you can be as that will get you the extra marks so don't just say 'I provided exceptional customer service and empathised.... etc. etc.' they're really looking for I provided exceptional customer service by asking the customer to sit down and offering to get him/her refreshments whilst I looked into the matter with the correct internal department. Provide as much detail as possible because they won't probe your answers. When selling or doing the role play make sure to understand the customers needs and ensure their needs are met so for instance the holiday package I was selling had an inclusive children activity centre so by asking the customer if she has children I was able to mention that to her. I won't be accepting the offer because I'm very much happy with my current organisation as they agreed for a full-time position after I finish my studies.

Interview Questions

• Why RBS?   Answer Question
    • So what have you been doing/been involved with throughout the past 2 years?   Answer Question
    • A customer has walked into branch and is very frustrated about being charged that she didn't know about. How would you go about helping this customer? What would you do to help the customer understand the charges? What information would you provide to this customer? What would you do if the customer became angry and started shouting?   Answer Question
    • A manager has introduced a new product the group wants to sell at your branch. How would you effectively manage your time between understanding the product as well as keeping on track with current targets and activities? How would you ensure you understand the product? What would you say to your manager?   Answer Question

Policy Role Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (London, England (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

The interview was friendly and conducted in a professional way. I was interviewed by 2 people, who would be my reporting lines. We discussed my previous experience and the job requirements were explained clearly. I was invited to ask any questions and to say how I felt about the role.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mumbai (India)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Mumbai (India)) in June 2015.

Interview

Firstly they took group discussion then aptitude test which was difficult because each carry only 450 to 600 minutes which will automatically lead to time out.There are more than four section.

Interview Questions

• What are your expectation from this job? What you understand by this role? Why you have selected RBS for job?   Answer Question

Customer Services Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

Process from start to finish, was Online Application / Psychometric Testing, Phone Interview, Face-to-face The last part (interview) was about 2 hours. 4 or 5 repetitive questions of the mould "name a time you helped a customer". As like others say the questioning all revolves around customer service. Although my interview went well, I did not enjoy it. There was a telephone call roll play based on a customer on a sheet of paper. The one thing you can easily do is learn some facts about RBS. A few key bits of info from their website and the wikki about page really makes the difference. They asked me what I knew a couple of times, and were quite impressed I was able to reel of interesting bits of info. At end of interview, the 2 people left the room for 5 mins to make a decision, then came back and told me I conditionally had the job. Now due to start in less than 2 weeks. I am wondering what the dress code and culture is at RBS? I will probably work both daytime and late evenings. I was assuming it is a shirt and tie for daytime, but probably more relaxed, perhaps even jeans for evening. Can anyone enlighten me on this?

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself going at RBS if you are successful with your application.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation for this role. That is the norm for this role. I am happy with the £18,500k salary in relation to what the job is.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Gurgaon, Haryana (India)) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied through elitmus. There were four rounds in all. First round was group discussion, second presentation, third coding and fourth 1:1 interview. All rounds were easy and required more presence of mind than any prior preparation.Everything was right on time and very well managed. It was a wonderful experience.

Interview Questions

• General programming questions, OOPs concepts, Code from the coding round, basic knowledge about the company and profile.   Answer Question

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (London, England (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

I received an email inviting me to interview but they forgot to include the location for the interview. I was also not given a role profile (despite asking for one) nor was I told about the competency based interview I was to expect nor sent the guidelines for competency based interview questions (which I should have been). There were two interviewers who asked three competency based interview questions and two technical questions - all questions I was told would be identical for all candidates. At the end of the interview I was told that they would get back to me in 2-3 weeks and if I was unsuccessful they would provide me with feedback. After waiting six weeks and hearing nothing I think it is safe to assume I did not get the job and they would not be bothering either to tell me or to provide feedback. The interview itself was very professional but the recruitment process around it was appalling!

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between functional and non-functional requirements?   Answer Question

Assistant Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Interview

Simple - was for a contract role, and they seemed they needed someone urgently for the role. Involved an hour meeting, with some questions about previous experience. Interviewed by one person.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a challenging stakeholder and how you overcome this.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Gurgaon, Haryana (India)) in May 2015.

Interview

There was elitmus paper, after which some student are shortlisted. Then we have a interview at RBS,Gurgaon First there was GD round. Then there was paper presentation round after that paper coding round in which we have to write a code to simple problem and at last there was a personal interview.

Technical Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Interview

First I submitted the application online. Then I was invited to take the SJT test, numeric test and the logic test. The logic test was quite difficult. After passing those test, there is a telephone interview.