Royal Bank of Scotland Interview Questions

Updated Mar 29, 2015
Updated Mar 29, 2015

Finance Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in March 2015.

1st: online application
    2nd: online tests (RBS uses tests of talent Q which I personally think is the most difficult one)
    3rd: Telephone interview ( easy part)
    4th: Assessment Centre ( four exercises)

Interview Questions
    • Telephone interview: Basic competency questions.
      e.g. why RBS? /why finance? /why internship program?what challenges is rbs facing with currently/a time you had to miss deadline/ a time you had different perspective from your teammates/ cases about leadership...

AC: one group discussion about releasing a mobile app, one presentation, one individual interview ( also competency based questions), one case study (written tasks)

Process Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vellore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vellore (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Their process was gd,online aptitude and interview. As there were less candidates they gone for online aptitude and HR interview. aptitude was quite easy and could crack it easily . Hr round was all common, they asked general scenario based questions. Was totally good.

Interview Questions
    • how good are you in convincing others?
      tell me about your pros and cons related to studies?

Team Lead Interview

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Awesome. Really well planned. Well organised. Office is nice. They treat the candidates warmly.
    Overall enjoyed attending the rounds. The interview was well organised and the associates gave frequent update on the process

Interview Questions
    • More process related questions for Team lead. Technical was challenging as well. It will take 1 complete day since there are multiple rounds   View Answer

Risk Assessment, Vice President Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Applied online and a couple of weeks later I received a call from the recruiter to arrange first round interview with the hiring manager. I had three rounds of interview, including one with the overall business head. All interviews lasted about 45 mins each and were all competency based.

After three rounds of interview, I was waiting up to four weeks for feedback and during that time I chased to the point of frustration. It was just an overall disappointing experience and due to a change in personal circumstances I withdrew my interest in the role and lost interest in RBS.

Commercial Banking Graduate Programmer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Applied online. Had to do three tests.. situational judgement, numerical and logical reasoning. Had the the Telephone interview after a week. overall it was not a bad experience. the interview lasted around 40 minutes and

Interview Questions
    • A few motivational questions.. why rbs? what do you know about this division? why this programme?Two competency questions ..Tell me about a time when you helped someone achieve their goals. There were a lot of follow up questions
      Describe a situation when you challenged something that was not compatible with your principles.

Spring Week Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in February 2015.

Initial application, then psychometric tests including logical and numerical tests, then I had to wait around a while, and finally they asked me to sign up for an interview. They even gave me feedback after which is nice. The interview was very informal. It is worth noting that if you don't know enough about RBS/the program, they will not let you move on to the second part of the interview.

Interview Questions

I wanted to go on spring break to Italy.

Commercial Banking Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ban Phone Savang (Laos)
    Anonymous Employee in Ban Phone Savang (Laos)

I applied online – interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Quick application as only a cover letter and a couple of questions. Then some tests which weren't SHL and were there own format. Then the phone interview which was 3 parts. Had to pass each part to move onto the next. The first was seeing if you have motivation for the scheme and the 2nd and 3rd were competency based questions.

Interview Questions
    • Why RBS? Why commercial banking? Tell us about a time you stood up for your values. Tell us about a time where you helped an individual.   Answer Question

Commercial Banking Graduate Scheme Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in February 2015.

It was a telephone interview divided into three sections. The first section is about your motivation, including questions like why RBS? why this programme? your long-term career plan? The other two sections are focusing on competency. The questions I met were: give an example about helping an individual achieve a goal; assign yourself a value from the number 1-10, with 1 being sticking to your own principle, 10 being you comfortable doing something that you didn't like but was asked to do. Each question was followed by questions on your answer. For my experience it lasted for around 45 mins. Was told at the end the result would be emailed to me within 48 hours, so still waiting for the feedback.

Interview Questions
    • Why RBS rather than other competitors? Why this programme?
      Example of helping an individual achieve a goal.
      To what extent you stick to your own principle?

Process Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dehra Dūn (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dehra Dūn (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in February 2015.

it was well coordinated & the whole process was smooth.the interviewer was very good.She listened what i had to say & made sure i didnt panic during the interview.the overall interview process was good & result was announced on the same day.

Interview Questions
    • about urself,about our backgrounds,how I would suit with the company   Answer Question

Commercial Banking Graduate Scheme Interview

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in February 2015.

After completing the online application you are given an invitation to take the situational test. If you passed this then you were required to take a numerical and logical test. I was then invited for a telephone interview around mid-January. This entailed one question on why the company and the division you applied for and then two following situational questions. By mid-Feburary I was invited to an assessment centre which involved a group exercise, role play and presentation, interview and then finally a case study. Now waiting to hear back from them.