Royal Bank of Scotland

Updated Feb 13, 2015
Updated Feb 13, 2015

Customer Services Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

After applying via sending my CV. I was contacted via email about a schedules telephone interview. This followed a week later. The telephone interview lasted roughly 30-40 minutes. Competency questions linking to experience, team work, using initiative questions. Was pretty simple successfully passed that stage was scheduled next for a face to face interview. Could have been far more prepared standard type questions. Why rbs?

Interview Questions
    • why rbs?
      Why customer service?
      what makes you stand out from other?
      what do you know about the company?

Answer Question

Risk Assessment, Vice President Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Applied online and a couple of weeks later I received a call from the recruiter to arrange first round interview with the hiring manager. I had three rounds of interview, including one with the overall business head. All interviews lasted about 45 mins each and were all competency based.

After three rounds of interview, I was waiting up to four weeks for feedback and during that time I chased to the point of frustration. It was just an overall disappointing experience and due to a change in personal circumstances I withdrew my interest in the role and lost interest in RBS.

Markets Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in November 2014.

Applied online and completed online testing (early November), invited to assessment centre exactly a week after. 12 people attended the assessment centre in late November and we were told this was the first one. The assessment centre consisted of a group trading game (teams act as both market makers and traders, where the closing value is the sum of nine die rolls... know how a spread works), presentation about a mobile banking business case and two interviews (one competency, one logic and competency). No technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • How many people cycle to work in the UK?   Answer Question
    • There are two planes, one travelling at 500mph and another that leaves half an hour later at 600mph. How long until the second plane catches up with the first?   View Answer
    • Three printing companies can respectively produce 1000, 2000 and 3000 copies every six hours. If they are all printing at the same time, how long until they produce 1000 copies?   View Answer
    • Describe to me a news story that you have been following?   Answer Question
    • When have you helped someone achieve their goal?
      Why RBS when there is negative press?
      Why only a fixed income and FX trading floor?
      What division do you see yourself working in?
      When have you made an impact that's improved a business?
      What role do you usually play within a team?

Answer Question

Graduate Analyst- Services- Transformation and Change Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in November 2014.

Had my phone interview last week. About 25 mins long. The questions were quite predictable, but required a lot of examples from university and previous employment. Before the interview had to do a logical, numerical and situational tests.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation when you challenged something that was not compatible with your principles.   Answer Question

CIB Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Assessment centre on last day of Spring Week in London, Bishopsgate. Interview plus presentation. Competency questions had already been covered when interviewing for Spring Week, so the questions this time around were more technical.

Interview Questions
    • For the case study at hand, what debt to EBITDA ratio would you advise?   Answer Question

Analyst Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

One stage process.
    Questions on Core Java and SQL. Written Java and SQL test. normal level nothing difficult.
    Then detailed questions on last project. In my case it was a product development, so questions like what is different in the product compared to other known products being used in the industry. questions about how it works.

Interview Questions
    • Why develop another open source product when there is already a good one available.   Answer Question

Insurance Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

2 interviews - 1 telephone, 1 face-to-face if successful

Interview Questions
    • How have you persuaded a negative customer to purchase your products/service?   Answer Question

Spring Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in January 2014.

Applied online, then had to take many online tests including a situational judgement, maths and logical test. Invited to a long telephone interview (45mins-1hour) containing questions relating to my interests in the company itself, the challenges it faced and then general situational questions. Called to confirm the placement within a week.

Interview Questions
    • What challenges are RBS facing in the present and in the future?   Answer Question

(M&IB) Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in January 2014.

First round: HR telephone interview, basically has two parts. The first 30 minutes is competency and fit, and if you do well enough you will proceed to the next 30 minutes, which is mostly work ethic and personality.
    Was notified within 48 hours that I had passed the first round, although the next round was not guaranteed.
    Waited around half a month to be invited to the assessment centre.
    Second round: asessment centre with four components
    1. A 1 hour one-on-one interview, exactly the same as telephone interview except face to face with an Operations member
    2. Group Interview: each people gets a different case, and you have to work in a team to prioritize them.
    3. Written Exercise: make a recommendation according to the group exercise
    4. One-on-one role play: based on the group interview, you need to advance your case to the person the interviewer is pretending to be.

Interview Questions
    • Role play interview includes questions where the interviewer can be quite hostile and unwilling to change.   View Answer

Spring Week Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in January 2014.

There where 3 test, numerical, verbal and situational judgement test.
    If you pass the test you are invited to an Assesment Center.
    At the AC you have two interviews, first one with an analyst and second one with an VP or above.
    The interviews are competency based and they last 45 min each one.

Interview Questions
    • I was ask to calculate how many people goes cycling to work in the UK.   Answer Question