Royal Bank of Scotland

Relevance Date Difficulty

Graduate Trainee Interview

Graduate Trainee
Manchester, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in February 2013.

Interview Details – Four stage process:
1. Application Form and Situational Judgement Test
2. Online Numeracy and Reasoning Tests
3. Telephone Interview
4. Assessment Centre

Interview Question – "People like to ask about risk areas for the banking industry. Why, in your opinion, do you think RBS is in a good position and what are the areas that it can take advantage of going forward?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation involved. You are asked to provide an immediate indication as to whether you wish to accept the offer or not. You are also made aware that your office location is not provided immediately and you will be informed in the coming months as to where the company will be placing you.

Customer Service Interview

Customer Service
Manchester, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in March 2010.

Interview Details – is not difficult but u got have education to that and also u need basic experience which u will get by the time i hope u would like that,

Derivatives Analyst - Entry Level Interview

Derivatives Analyst - Entry Level
Manchester, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in August 2011.

Interview Details – I just finished my master's degree with several years interim work experience. My master's is in international business but at undergraduate level I had several finance courses. This job was to be a derivative analyst -basically back office work for processing documents and making sure they are within regulation, etc. I worked at a mortgage company doing back office work which is why I believe I had the interview despite not being a finance major.

They asked 4 questions concerning 4 of the 10 core competencies of the company. They emailed me with a list of topics the interview questions would be over and advised how to prepare the responses: stating the situation, the task, the scenario, the solution, the outcome. While this was helpful information and it helped me prepare answers for my questions, it led to me over preparing because you don't know what questions/competencies will be. They then asked me questions about financial products. The interview seemed to be going well as I had well prepared for it and had finance knowledge.

They asked me what my salary expectations were and I said while I know this is an entry-level position, I do have some experience and a master's degree with top honors that I would like to be recognized for. I believe that they wanted someone inexperienced or willing to take lower wages. I also had to tell them I needed off for a several in a few months for my wedding, which is something that does not have a flexible time period. I believe that my wedding would have conflicted with the several month long training period.

Overall, it was a relaxed low-key interview. No questions were difficult because they gave you so much time to prepare solid answers in advance. I was disappointed in the caliber of the questions, I believe they could have asked more difficult questions in order to showcase my skills. Ultimately, the job was aimed at someone fresh out of undergraduate which is why they gave so much information on preparing.

The environment of the office was very clean, modern, and more relaxed than some places, but the desks were small and left little room for personalization with pictures, etc. The HR staff were friendly if not a bit disorganized because they misplaced my documents after the interview and I sat alone for 15 minutes waiting for my proofs.

*RBS requires a lot of paperwork for their interviews including but not limited to paycheck stubs from past employers of 3 years, proof of address for 3 years, proof of degrees, explanations of periods of unemployment and documents to back them up, etc.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you had to convince someone to do something, try an idea or a new way of doing things, and they were not immediately convinced at the start.   Answer Question
  • Tell us about a time whenever you had to deliver bad news to a customer, client, coworker etc.   Answer Question

Director, Portfolio Interview

Director, Portfolio
Manchester, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in September 2009.

Interview Details – A thorough interview process, including a presentation to test job specific skills based upon a case study provided a few days in advance of the interview. Also included 'competency based questions' requiring description of specific recent examples from my own career in relation to defined skill areas.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you dealt with conflict with an external client in negotiation of facilit terms and how you resolved the situation.   Answer Question

Worked for Royal Bank of Scotland? Contribute to the Community!