Royal Bank of Scotland Software Designer Interview Questions

Updated May 13, 2015

4.0

Software Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chennai (India)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Chennai (India)) in April 2015.

Interview

One written test - basics of Java, J2EE, SQL, Web services & XML
First technical round - basics of Java, J2EE, SQL
Second technical round - in-depth Java, J2EE, JDBC
Managerial round - about personal background
HR round - negotiation happens like anything.

The offer was given after a week but package is very low. HR's attitude is poor. Compensation they offer will be worse, less than market standard for same/equivalent position.

Interview Questions

• Difference between InitialContext in JEE5 and 6   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Royal Bank of Scotland

Software Designer Interview

Interview

there will be around 3-4 rounds. 2 technical and a manager round. focus will be on core java, multithreading, puzzle, algorithms.

Interview Questions

• find the top two numbers in a list of integers, list size in Gbs.   Answer Question

Software Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Gurgaon, Haryana (India)) in April 2011.

Interview

The hiring process was basically of couple of telephonic rounds, after which they asked to come over for a face to face round at there Gurgaon office. Whole day went in multiple interviews.

Interview Questions

• Usage of DBCC command in Sybase.   1 Answer
    • Puzzle: There are 8 balls, only one of them is heavier then the rest. You have a weighing-scale at hand. In How many iterations can you find out the odd one out?   1 Answer
    • Design a stack with the help of an array in Java.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Was able to negotiate for better offer, but we had to settle down somewhere in-between.

Software Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Gurgaon, Haryana (India)) in March 2011.

Interview

Interview consists of the following rounds:
    1. General IQ test, with mcqs (online)
    2. Written Test (Technical questions with details)
    3. Face to Face Interview in Technology Questions
    4. 2nd round of Face to face with more detailed questions on Technology
    5. Project manager round with banking questions process and simple calculations
    6. HR Round for negotiations

Interview Questions

• The interviewer keeps on drilling and digging into each and every word you say or technical term you use   Answer Question

Negotiation

Depends on the HR, a few donot give you space simply give their offer and others listen.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Chennai (India)) in December 2010.

Interview

3 technical rounds
    2 managerial rounds
    1 hr round

Interview Questions

• Why are you leaving your current company?   1 Answer
    • You are selected. Can we discuss your salary package?   1 Answer

Negotiation

went well

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Chennai (India)) in August 2010.

Interview

It was a detail process, couple of rounds of Technical screening, followed by competency based written tests, then again a couple of rounds of Technical screening (this time face to face), then again Management rounds and finally a HR interview (salary expectation). It was a tough process but structured.

Interview Questions

• Usually all the questions are competency based and it was scenario based, questions are pretty much available or taken from many internet sites but with a decent preparation one can crack it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I had to negotiate twice to come closer to my expectation, you need to press foot and negotiate :)

Software Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Bangalore (India)) in January 2010.

Interview

There was a written test conducted for CICS, JCL, DB2 and COBOL (Each topic has a separate test). The test can be taken from any sify center. The test is very tough and tiring. The number of questions are not fixed. As you keep answering the questions keep appearing till the time ends. Next is the face to face interview which has 2 rounds. The is a generic communication, personality round. The second is the final technical round. In this situation based questions are asked. Like how would you design for this requirement, How would you handle this issue, etc. Then the HR round.

Interview Questions

• The written test was the most difficult and unexpected one. I haven't expected to pass through but I had fared with very good score.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Yes I was able to. As I already had an offer in hand it was easy for me to get what I had asked for. Negotiation is mandatory to get a good pay in RBS as far as I know.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Chennai (India)) in December 2009.

Interview

Written test, Tech interview. Managerial round and HR round. HR round needs good negotiation skillls