Royal Bank of Scotland Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated Aug 25, 2015

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Interview

Orginally going for markets but spaces filled up so was asked if I wanted to switch to commerical banking. Questions included Why RBS, Why Commerical Banking etc and if you passed this then it was followed by two competency questions. Received confirmation a couple of days later that I had not passed.

Technology Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Interview

The interview took place in order as they are listed below 1) Situational Judgement Got a invitation for Numerical Test 2) Numerical Test - by Talent Q 3) Logical Test - by Talent Q Then I was invited for Telephonic Interview.It was divided into two sections I cleared first section - They asked me why I was applying and what all I know about RBS.( Make sure you know latest news about the company ) In the second section they asked me two question one was about how I have motivated someone to meet there goals and other was how my values fit with the company.I misinterpreted the question asked about values and answered it for a completely different scenario.But It was an overall good experience and I understood that I should listen to the interviewer carefully before answering it.

Interview Questions

• What techonologies do I know.How can I contribute to a team and how will my values match with the company values.   Answer Question

Spring Interview

Interview

CV/Cover Letter. Numerical/logical and situational judgement test. Straight to final round interview (usually one first round then final round). Testing phase very lengthy as had to sit one at a time. RBS one of last companies to respond to initial application

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you have been with someone who is doing something morally wrong   Answer Question

Negotiation

None

Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (London, England (UK)).

Interview

The process took around 3 weeks. A recruitment consultancy contacted me. There was a technical test before the interviews. Got invited for the final interview. There were 2 technical competency based interviews and 3 programming exercises along with the current technology developers in RBS.

Customer Service Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Urmston, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Urmston, England (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

I was invited to a 1:1 interview after completing telephone interview by giving an in-dept knowledge of what I expected the role to consists as well as answering 2 basic competency questions including 'Tell me about a time where you provided exceptional customer service'. The interviewer explained the interview process will be broken up into 3 parts: 1) Current Situation - what your currently doing, what you'll expect to do in the role, how well you've familiarised yourself with the role, why you want to leave your current job, why RBS Experience Education etc. etc. 2) Competency Based Questions - I had 3 competency based questions but instead of giving them the examples they provided me with examples and asked a few questions in relation to them e.g. a customer has walked into branch and doesn't understand charges on his statement, what would you do to help him understand, what would you do if he became angry and started shouting, how would you control the situation/ You just finished the transaction with the customer and noticed she is due for an account review, what would you say to her to ask if she would be interested in a review, what if she isn't available at present (book appointment) etc. etc. 3) Role Play - 3rd part consisted of a role play where I was given a fake statement and had to answer questions the 'customer' (interviewer) asked very basic questions such as how much was I charged for my phone bill on 13th April or how much standing order do I pay, I got 20/20 and they are very basic questions you just need to prove your attention to detail. The role play also consisted of a random product (I had a holiday package) and you are to sell that holiday package to the customer (interviewer) so I got given an A4 sheet of paper with information about the holiday and had 4 mins to read through it and then offer it to the customer. TIPS: Don't be afraid to ask questions, you have to ask questions to show your interest for the role and organisation so make sure you prepared a few questions before going in. When answering the competency based questions be as specific and as detailed as you can be as that will get you the extra marks so don't just say 'I provided exceptional customer service and empathised.... etc. etc.' they're really looking for I provided exceptional customer service by asking the customer to sit down and offering to get him/her refreshments whilst I looked into the matter with the correct internal department. Provide as much detail as possible because they won't probe your answers. When selling or doing the role play make sure to understand the customers needs and ensure their needs are met so for instance the holiday package I was selling had an inclusive children activity centre so by asking the customer if she has children I was able to mention that to her. I won't be accepting the offer because I'm very much happy with my current organisation as they agreed for a full-time position after I finish my studies.

Interview Questions

• Why RBS?   Answer Question
    • So what have you been doing/been involved with throughout the past 2 years?   Answer Question
    • A customer has walked into branch and is very frustrated about being charged that she didn't know about. How would you go about helping this customer? What would you do to help the customer understand the charges? What information would you provide to this customer? What would you do if the customer became angry and started shouting?   Answer Question
    • A manager has introduced a new product the group wants to sell at your branch. How would you effectively manage your time between understanding the product as well as keeping on track with current targets and activities? How would you ensure you understand the product? What would you say to your manager?   Answer Question

Graduate Programmer In Commercial Banking Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)).

Interview

Complete the application form and the psychometric tests. If you pass the screening process, you get invited for a competency-based telephone interview (45 mins). After the successful completion of it, you proceed to the last stage, which is the assessment centre. This involves a group exercise, a presentation, an individual interview and a written exercise.

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose RBS? Why this particular programme? Describe a time when you stood up for what you believe was right.   Answer Question

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (London, England (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

I received an email inviting me to interview but they forgot to include the location for the interview. I was also not given a role profile (despite asking for one) nor was I told about the competency based interview I was to expect nor sent the guidelines for competency based interview questions (which I should have been). There were two interviewers who asked three competency based interview questions and two technical questions - all questions I was told would be identical for all candidates. At the end of the interview I was told that they would get back to me in 2-3 weeks and if I was unsuccessful they would provide me with feedback. After waiting six weeks and hearing nothing I think it is safe to assume I did not get the job and they would not be bothering either to tell me or to provide feedback. The interview itself was very professional but the recruitment process around it was appalling!

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between functional and non-functional requirements?   Answer Question

Policy Role Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (London, England (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

The interview was friendly and conducted in a professional way. I was interviewed by 2 people, who would be my reporting lines. We discussed my previous experience and the job requirements were explained clearly. I was invited to ask any questions and to say how I felt about the role.

Customer Services Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

Process from start to finish, was Online Application / Psychometric Testing, Phone Interview, Face-to-face The last part (interview) was about 2 hours. 4 or 5 repetitive questions of the mould "name a time you helped a customer". As like others say the questioning all revolves around customer service. Although my interview went well, I did not enjoy it. There was a telephone call roll play based on a customer on a sheet of paper. The one thing you can easily do is learn some facts about RBS. A few key bits of info from their website and the wikki about page really makes the difference. They asked me what I knew a couple of times, and were quite impressed I was able to reel of interesting bits of info. At end of interview, the 2 people left the room for 5 mins to make a decision, then came back and told me I conditionally had the job. Now due to start in less than 2 weeks. I am wondering what the dress code and culture is at RBS? I will probably work both daytime and late evenings. I was assuming it is a shirt and tie for daytime, but probably more relaxed, perhaps even jeans for evening. Can anyone enlighten me on this?

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself going at RBS if you are successful with your application.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation for this role. That is the norm for this role. I am happy with the £18,500k salary in relation to what the job is.

A Apprenticeship In Banking Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Manchester, England (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

Began the process by writing a few short responses to questions such as " Why RBS?" and "My greatest achievement". After receiving an email informing me that I had passed the initial application I was given a link to a reasoning test which I undertook online. Again, after receiving an email informing me I had passed the test, I was required to take a maths oriented test. Success in this test lead me to the last of three online tests. This final part included a range of adverts designed for the test which I had to read and answer questions on. The next stage was a telephone interview which was, with research and thought on responses to question such as "what was your greatest achievement and what skills did you show?", fairly straightforward. The final stage of the whole interview process meant travelling to the office where I would be working and taking part in an assessment centre. This involved a role play in which I played a manager dealing with a customer and other activities which tested my competence and critical thinking. The assessment centre also involved me answering questions on different times I have shown skills that would be needed during the job and where I have shown them previously.