Royal Bank of Scotland

Relevance Date Difficulty

CIB Summer Interview

CIB Summer
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Interview Details – Assessment centre on last day of Spring Week in London, Bishopsgate. Interview plus presentation. Competency questions had already been covered when interviewing for Spring Week, so the questions this time around were more technical.

Interview Question – For the case study at hand, what debt to EBITDA ratio would you advise?   Answer Question

(M&IB) Operations Interview

(M&IB) Operations
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in January 2014.

Interview Details – First round: HR telephone interview, basically has two parts. The first 30 minutes is competency and fit, and if you do well enough you will proceed to the next 30 minutes, which is mostly work ethic and personality.
Was notified within 48 hours that I had passed the first round, although the next round was not guaranteed.
Waited around half a month to be invited to the assessment centre.
Second round: asessment centre with four components
1. A 1 hour one-on-one interview, exactly the same as telephone interview except face to face with an Operations member
2. Group Interview: each people gets a different case, and you have to work in a team to prioritize them.
3. Written Exercise: make a recommendation according to the group exercise
4. One-on-one role play: based on the group interview, you need to advance your case to the person the interviewer is pretending to be.

Interview Question – Role play interview includes questions where the interviewer can be quite hostile and unwilling to change.   View Answer

Technology (M&IB) Graduate Programmer 2014 Interview

Technology (M&IB) Graduate Programmer 2014

I applied online and interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Interview Details – Fill out application online, attach a CV and covering letter, and complete a personality test. Different graduate programmes might have different reasoning tests. For Technology (M&IB) it was a logical reasoning test (has to be one of the most difficult tests I've ever seen, I think it was adaptive, questions got more difficult). Followed by a phone interview, which lasted about 30 mins, these are carried out by an external company. There were 3 questions and each had a few follow-up questions with it. 1. Why have you applied at RBS? (Follow up questions included 'do you think RBS are facing any challenges at the moment?') 2. Describe a time when you helped someone else achieve a goal. 3. Asked to rate self on a scale from 1-10 on doing the right thing. Which led to "describe a time when you were asked to do something you felt was wrong? Why did you feel that it was wrong? What actions did you take?"

Interview Question – Describe a time when you helped someone else achieve a goal. (Requested not to use an example from university)   Answer Question

Senior Risk Analyst Interview

Senior Risk Analyst
London, England (UK)

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in May 2012.

Interview Details – 1 Interview Face to Face and 1 phone interview - Internal Transfer.
Good experience, nothing negative noticed, Incompetenent Line manager. I dont have more words to add.
Good experience , easy interviews

Interview Question – Why do you want us to pay for your training?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Didnt negotiate

CFD Business Analyst Interview

CFD Business Analyst

Interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland

Interview Details – Applied for the job via a recruitment agency. Process took around 3 weeks and included 3 interviews with various members of the team. Interviews were quite casual but relatively technical. RBS were very quick in setting up the interviews and HR appeared to do a good job.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected asked during the interview process   Answer Question

Spring Intern Interview

Spring Intern

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Interview Details – I was contacted via email to inform me of an on campus assessment centre the following week. The assessment centre consisted of two interviews. Both had a large competency component to them with the second interview also posing some logical questions. Overall the interviews were reasonably laid back with both interviewers seeming friendly and approachable to any questions that i had afterwards.

Interview Question – how can you cut a cake into 8 identical slices with only three cuts.   View Answer

Graduate Trainee Interview

Graduate Trainee
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in November 2013.

Interview Details – After completing online application through RBS, I had to do 3 separate tests online. First one was logical reasoning, second was quantitative and third was business scenario questions. Never had to do the third one before with other applications. It was mainly questions like what would you do if you had an argument with another co-worker. After passing the tests, they will invite you to arrange a time for phone interview. It was someone on the other end reading questions off a list and typing out your responses. The interview was awkward and they don't ask you more than 4-5 questions. There's no follow up and they expect you to talk for 30-45 minutes.

Interview Question – Questions were very standard. Mostly competency based, nothing to catch you out. I think the most important thing they look for is if you understand the details their grad program offers.   Answer Question

Analyst Developer Interview

Analyst Developer
London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Interview Details – One stage process.
Questions on Core Java and SQL. Written Java and SQL test. normal level nothing difficult.
Then detailed questions on last project. In my case it was a product development, so questions like what is different in the product compared to other known products being used in the industry. questions about how it works.

Interview Question – Why develop another open source product when there is already a good one available.   Answer Question

Spring Intern Interview

Spring Intern
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in January 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online, then had to take many online tests including a situational judgement, maths and logical test. Invited to a long telephone interview (45mins-1hour) containing questions relating to my interests in the company itself, the challenges it faced and then general situational questions. Called to confirm the placement within a week.

Interview Question – What challenges are RBS facing in the present and in the future?   Answer Question

IT Specialist Interview

IT Specialist
London, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in August 2011.

Interview Details – Interviews are competency based as well as technical. Competency questions are generally situational, such as "Describe a situation where you encountered conflict in the workplace - what did you do to overcome?" Answers expected in the standard format Situation/Problem Encountered/Actions Taken.
I was moving from contract to a permanent role but still had to undergo this formal competency process.

Interview Question – Also had to prepare a 15 min technical presentation on any topic of my choosing followed by Q&A.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was a contractor moving to permanent so was able to negotiate my desired salary ahead of starting.

Worked for Royal Bank of Scotland? Contribute to the Community!