Royal Dutch Shell

4 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Difficult Interview

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in May 2013.

Interview Details – I interviewed through Shell Recruitment Day. The entire process was extremely in depth and they really get a good read on an individuals potential to become a future leader of the company. Not very technical as they are not looking for graduates who's potential is limited to individual contributor roles. The interview is more character and stragic visions based. If you make it to SRD they assume your GPA, resume, etc. already demonstrate your technical ability in your given field.

Interview Question – The entire Shell Recruitment Day was difficult, but something I enjoyed. There is plenty of opportunity to demonstarte your ability to to think out of the box in terms of business strategy, approach, and leading.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation as it was already much higher paying than the rest of the big players.

Interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell

Interview Details – The Phone interview was a basic interview. Questions regarding greatest achievement, why do you want to work here, etc.

Interview Question – Biggest weakness, it is always a difficult questions but job be prepared fore it and you will be fine.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

Interview Details – Online application followed by 1 telephone interview and an assessment centre. THe phone interview was over an hour. Heard back from them within 2 weeks and had a recruitment day 2 months later. Got to stay overnight in London and the experience included a dinner with recent grad employees.

Interview Question – Assume the role of the CEO of any MNC and talk about the opportunities and threats of a particular topic.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in April 2008.

Interview Details – Interviewed as an experienced hire, I got the interview through a recruiting agency. First phone interview with hiring manager, went through previous experience and some behavioral questions. Good connection, he ended the conversation giving me some tips for the next round.
2nd round I was flown into The Hague and participated in an individual assessment which consisted of a case scenario which I had 2 hours to prepare and a presentation of 10 mins based on a general business strategic recommendation. Next was another phone interview (in the office) with HR, again mainly behavioral.
I was exhausted after an entire day interviewing, doing the assessment, etc but worthwhile.

I had applied as a graduate earlier and found the recruiting process for experienced hires much more logical as you're basically assessed as an individual competing for a specific role, not one in a bunch.
Advice is document yourself extensively on Shell and on the hard and soft skills required and map them to your previous experience, in detail.

Interview Question – The 10 mins allowed for the presentation seemed very short!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Standard contracts so no room for negotiation. Benefits are very good anyhow.

Worked for Royal Dutch Shell? Contribute to the Community!