Royal Dutch Shell Graduate Interview Questions & Reviews

23 interviews

3.7

23 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Graduate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

Last week I passed the first 2 stages, I had the phone interview yesterday and I am waiting for the response. The interview is exactly how described by the other posts. Same dynamics, same questions. Try to be sinthetic. They do not care about the type of experience you are telling them. They just want to see if you are clear in explaining your experience. I suggest to prepare some notes in advance ( the questions are ALWAYS the same). Not too much detailed, just bullet points in order to be more flexible

Other Interview Reviews for Royal Dutch Shell

Graduation Interview

It takes about two months. After three online test, I am invited to a phone interview which is conducted by a operation manager or something, not HR. The questions are very very detailed and specific.

Graduate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

First, there are competency tests (personality test, analytical and decision-making tests, computations and other mathematical problems, such as reading graphs), then there is a 1 hour interview (by phone or in person), then there is the assignment at the company.

Interview Questions
    • Please describe the evolution of a relationship, in order to achieve an objective.   Answer Question

Graduate Interview

Their processing time is really fast. I received my phone interview just less than 2 weeks after I submitted my application online. However, the phone interview is really tough and took a longer time than I expected (Approx 1.5 hours). They asked so many questions in terms of my previous experiences. For future candidates, just remember to prepare as many examples as possible.

Interview Questions
    • They asked to provide so many examples for one skills.   Answer Question

Graduate Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

Firstly there will be aptitude exams (behaviour, numerical and finally situation), subsequently you will receive a tele-interview or a face-to-face interview (based on you situation) and lastly there will be a invite to Shell Day. There will be 2 parts to Shell Day, Day 1 will just be a pre briefing; Day 2 will be the actual assessment)

Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in September 2013.

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Shell Oil in September 2013.

Interview Details – Application for SRD (Shell Recruitment Day) UK graduate Programme.

Stage 1: Online application and CV submission (submitted back in August 2013). I then received an invitation to complete a competency based online assessment followed by a timed online numerical reasoning test.

Stage 2: Two days later I received an email invitation for an interview. A few days later I received a call from a scheduling coordinator to arrange an interview date.

My interview was face-to-face. The staff at Shell were friendly. They try to make you feel relaxed and welcome. The interview lasted about an hour. The first part was a series scenario-based questions where I was expected to demonstrate CAR (Capacity, Achievement, Relationships).

E.g. "Can you tell me about a time when you had to plan for XYZ?"

"Were there any challenges and how did you tackle them?"

and

"Can you give me another example of when you had to do XYZ?"

The second part of the interview was an opportunity to discuss CV, career goals, ask questions and get to know a little more about the company and the kind of roles that might be available.

After the interview I was told I would be contacted within a week or so to find out whether or not I had progressed to the next stage. I didn't hear back for a month. But eventually I received an email saying I had been invited for the SRD.

Stage 3: The SRD was a day and a half of meetings, assessments and interviews. The night before the actual assessments you meet with graduates who are already on the programme. You also receive your briefing about activities for the following day.

On the day of the final assessment there were 6 of us. All applying for different roles on the graduate programme. A mix of men and women. Throughout the day we were assessed using the Shell CAR (capacity, achievement, relationships) framework.

There was a test similar to the initial online assessments at the beginning of the application process: You're given different scenarios and expected to respond with solutions or answers that seem most appropriate for the business.

A reflection interview afterwards: to discuss your performance during the exercise.

Followed by a group exercise. After the group task, there is something similar to a case study interview where you are given a fictional scenario about the Shell business and asked to give a presentation based on the information provided.

There is another competency based interview too.

You're not competing for roles with the other graduates on the SRD with you so making friends and working together is a good way to perform well. The 'relationships' aspect of the CAR assessment framework is pretty important.

It was a long day. It started around 8am and didn't end until around 5pm.

Whether or not you pass the SRD, you receive feedback on your performance.

Stage 4: The final stage in the recruitment process where they try to find a suitable graduate opportunity for you within the Shell Group, and determine whether they will be able to make you a formal offer of employment.

Interview Questions
    • Interview Question – Stage 2: Interview questions where I was asked to give multiple examples of time when I had to do XYZ, discuss the challenges and how I tackled them were the most difficult. You're expected to go into a lot of detail and to have plenty of examples ready for the questions they throw at you. For someone with limited professional work experience this was challenging.   Answer Question

Graduate Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

The online reasoning test was straight forward. Make sure you can justify your decisions. There is no time limit, so take your time and consider what would be the most logical response.
    The numerical test is not particularly hard, but the time constraint adds pressure. The obvious thing to do is practice the widely available online examples first, and be confident you can work out the typical solutions quickly.
    For the telephone interview, emphasis was on working relationships and other common competencies. My advice is to put some time in and think about your experiences and how these demonstrate core competencies. In my case, I was interviewed by an experienced technical member of staff. The interviewer was vey friendly and I enjoyed the process. In some ways, there is unlimited prep one can do, for a good interview (as i had) takes examples you've given and really pulls them apart, for example picking on particular parts of your answer and investigate this further. With that said, another piece of very obvious advice is do not lie. No knowledge of the company was required in my case, but I think referring to the company (current/past projects etc) was appreciated. Haven't done the next stage yet... good luck.

Interview Questions
    • "You mentioned a particular relationship. What problems did you encounter with this?"   View Answer
    n/a - haven't finished yet

Graduate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

Had a face-to-face first round interview with Shell recently for their graduate program. I indicated my preference for a role in Finance. This only involved questions on Shell's 'A' and 'R' but nothing on 'C' as they previously used to have.

The interview was very standard - the normal questions of proud achievements, working well within a team, conflicts of interests faced in a team etc. Following this, there were motivation questions regarding why that industry, why Shell, and why that role.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example of a time you looked to achieve excellence/quality?   View Answer

Graduate Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in July 2013.

I applied for Shell's graduate programme online. The first stage was an online assessment that asked questions on how to prioritise different responses based on given situations. This was a behavioural test specific to Shell's business scenarios rather than something generic.

The second stage was an hour and a half long phone interview with Shell recruitment psychologist. Again, the focus was on understand the way I react to situations, and the phone interview revolved around picking out specific examples of when I worked in teams at work / university, and drilling deep into how I responded on those situations.

I was called for a Shell Recruitment Day (SRD) after the phone interview. There were four other candidates; what was stressed during the initial briefing was that all candidates are judged individually rather than competing for a single position, which takes a lot of pressure off during group tasks. It also makes sense since the candidates they call are all typically applying for different job roles.

The SRD assessment day was a challenging experience. All candidates had been provided an information pack with background information about a fictional region where Shell wanted to set up operations. Based on this, the first task on the assessment was an 'e-tray' email simulation exercise, quite similar to the initial online assessment, which asks you to rate responses to scenarios provided in emails. The second part of the e-tray is a writing exercise on the same project. This is followed by a 1:1 self-reflection interview on how you think the task went, what did you do right, what did you miss etc.

The next task is a group exercise, a continuation of the same scenario, where all the candidates were provided additional information and tasked with coming up with Shell's response as a group. This is used to check how you work within a team.

The third task is an individual case study, with further information provided on the same scenario and you're tasked with presenting your findings to a group panel. A follow-up interview is held on explaining the rationale behind the findings of the verbal presentation / pitch.

The final task is a skills / competency based interview, about an hour long, where Shell managers in the job roles you've applied to ask questions about specific examples of where you've worked in a team. This was quite similar to the phone interview that I had earlier.

The turnaround time on a decision was quick too as I was told within 24 hours. The feedback given was quite extensive; in my case, pointing out that my rationale for some of the answers I gave in the e-tray were weak, and I skipped answering some questions too.

Overall, it felt like the interview experience gave exposure to what it's really like to work at Shell, more so than the typical assessment process that other companies take. There was a lot of emphasis on behavioural analysis.

Interview Questions
    • In the follow-up interview of the case study task, at the end of the interview they added some new information and asked how that affected my recommendations, and what changed I would make.   View Answers (2)

Graduate Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  The Hague (Netherlands)
    Anonymous Employee in The Hague (Netherlands)

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in June 2012.

Long and detailed hiring process. Should be well prepared for the case interview. There are three parts of the interview. Walking through resume, then followed by a series of personal questions and the last is the case interview in which you are expected to explain all aspects of a chosen case (there are 4 or 5 options)

Interview Questions
    • The case interview should match with the core values at Shell   Answer Question

Worked for Royal Dutch Shell? Contribute to the Community!