Royal Dutch Shell Intern Interview Questions

3.5

15 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in September 2010.

I applied online and was offered an interview when shell came to recruit on campus. Half of the interview consisted of behavioral questions. The other half you chose topics such as research and development. You pretended you owned a company and you answered question relating to the topic. I would say they have an amazing management structure since it is less Hierarchal than other companies. Be able to analyze your problem solving skills, communication skills, and leadership skills, based on your experiences.

Other Interview Reviews for Royal Dutch Shell

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rotterdam (Netherlands)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rotterdam (Netherlands)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in June 2014.

First step of the interview process:
    Online personality test + math test + skills test

personality test: Keep in mind the CAR-criteria of Shell, and the competencies that go along with it. Other than that, do try to be as honest as possible. So, do not give a score of '5' to all the competencies that are considered good, since it will come over as unbelievable, and you will without a doubt fail the test.

Math test: questions are not too hard, (basically just reading graphs and calculating with percentages) but the time-limit makes it quite a challenge. Make sure you have a good calculator which you fully understand in order to save time. I myself did not really prepare for the test, since I already have a background where I had to use quite a lot of math, but I guess you can find enough material online to prepare, if you want to.

Skills test: In this test you're presented with some generic business problems of Shell, in the fields of engineering, sales, marketing. For each problem you are presented with five solutions to these problems, and you have to rate how effective these will be in solving the problems. Finally you also have to rate which of these solutions will be the most effective or most ineffective. Basically you should really just use your common sense here, and keep in mind the CAR-criteria.

Second step of the interview process: Phone-interview.

Was called by an engineer of Shell. Very friendly person, but did ask tough questions. Took about an hour and 10 minutes. Interview had three steps:

1. Competencies according to the STAR method.

This is, in my opinion, the tough part of the interview. You'll get about 8 questions regarding competencies, and the idea is you have to provide them with an example where you show that you have this competency. Examples: "Name a situation where you were influenced by the ideas of other people"."Name a situation where you had to overcome an obstacle in order to achieve your goal".
    As preparation I had written down about 15 situations out of my life (academic, personal, work.. ) where certain qualities would come to light, such as leadership, overcoming obstacles, etc. (check CAR-criteria). Keep in mind, however well you prepare, they will always catch you off-guard once or twice with a tough question. Anyway, just be yourself, be honest, and just try to stay focused and calm during the interview, and you should be fine (Think about it: They appreciate people who can stay calm and focused even when being confronted with a tough question, so stick to that).

2. Why do you want to join Shell/energy industry.

Quite easy part of the interview, just show that you're eager and interested. Try to name a situation where you were 'inspired' and thus wanted to join Shell/the energy industry. I myself just used a conversation I had with a former employee of shell.

3. Questions?

Important to prepare at least 3 questions for the interview. Obviously, don't ask about working hours, salary, etc, (common sense really).

Finally, some quick tips that always help during these interviews:

The interviewer will explain the interview process in beginning. Summarize what the interviewer said, and ask if you understood correctly. This is an easy way to show that you're able to listen well and want to be thorough, and makes for a good start of the interview.

If you're in doubt about a question, just ask for some time to think about it, it won't be a problem. It helps you to stay relaxed, and often enough you will be able to find a good answer.

I can't stress it enough: Stay calm and focus, even if you do not directly know the answer to a competency question. If you don't have a good answer, so be it, somehow talk your way out of it, as long as you stay calm. If you become stressed by a 'hard' question, the interviewer will just assume you will also become stressed whenever an unexpected hard situation occurs during your work at Shell, and it will be seen as a negative quality.

Prepare some questions you have for the interviewer: They are always happy to answer your questions if possible, and it also shows you're really interested and assertive. Good standard question: "What has been the most challenging for you to learn while working at the company?"

About a week after the phone interview I got a call from HR confirming that I passed, and that I would be taken on for an assessed internship.

Oh yes and finally, they of course also check your CV and cover letter. I unfortunately do not really know in what stage of the interview process they check it. Anyway, about CV: Keep in mind HR looks about a 100 CV's a week, so make sure it is very clear and concise, and only include relevant stuff. Cover letter: Try to be original, use past personal experiences which helped you make the decision to apply for shell. If you make it personal, it will automatically be pretty original, which is key here.

Interview Questions
    • Please tell me about a time you had to make a timely decision   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

Very friendly, first half was why I wanted to Join Shell. Second half was about competencies

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in The Hague (Netherlands)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in The Hague (Netherlands)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in February 2014.

A total of three round before giving out the internship offer. The first one is CV selection, one week later came the online tests (first cognitive test, and then numerical test if you passed the first one). Then another week later I got invitation of a face-to-face interview in the Headquarter in the Hague. From submission to interview it took 1 month. Got offer after one month.

Interview Questions
    • Could you describe a situation where you need to listen to others?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in February 2014.

Online application, online test (situational and numerical), face to face interview

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to accomplish something under pressure: what were the key decisions you took during this time?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lagos (Nigeria)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lagos (Nigeria)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

Contacted a connection in the company to aid with acquiring the inter position.

N/A

Intern Interview

Took me a week to apply. I received a call after a month

Intern Interview

Overall, very good process, well organized from top to bottom. Starting from the initial website and information, all is very well done and has considerably fewer glitches than other firms which use Kenexa or Taleo networks.
    The phone interview was probably the toughest I ever had, as they go further beyond the normal CBI type of interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Give your view of the challenges and opportunities for the company.   View Answers (2)

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

An hour long phone interview; will be required to talk in detail about leadership experiences, difficulties faced, and how you have been able to tailor communication styles to various groups of people.

Will then be asked to choose a topic to discuss about, whereby the interviewer will lead with some initial questions but you're expected to elaborate fully on.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in September 2012.

1. Online Application - CV & Cover Letter (optional but worth including to show you really want it)
    2. Online tests - numerical and situational (typical online test system)
    3. Telephone Interview (CAR format with a case study)

Interview Questions
    • Did not realise the Capacity aspect was a case study, so definitely a reason to be active on here to do your research before hand.   Answer Question