Royal Dutch Shell Interview Questions

Updated Aug 31, 2015

3.5

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell (Houston, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

Online personality test and online problem solving test which includes two parts: math and situation/ problem solving in oil and gas industry background. After that, they asked for a phone interview, mostly behavior questions, about one hour. The hiring was quick, they sent an offer next day morning by phone later in an official email. Great expiereience, interviewer was really nice and patient.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell (Houston, TX).

Interview

SRD is not the best way to find quality candidates. The day consists of case studies that don't apply to the candidate's background and interviews. 100% of my group participating in SRD thought it was a terrible way to recruit (behind closed doors, of course).

Other offers

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell (Houston, TX) in November 2014.

Interview

SRD. They'll fly you into wherever, get you a hotel, and give you a dinner. You'll have a practice exercise to do that night - an email simulation that gives you some time to read some documents and then answer multiple choice questions about those documents in email format. The next day is an experience. You'll take a similar test to the email thing you did the night before, but it'll be longer in material/content by a significant amount (10 questions --> 15 questions the next day) but the extra time given is not proportionate to the added material. Most everyone feels like they did horribly on this. Do your best and answer as many as you can accurately, but don't worry if you don't finish. They'll then sit you down and ask you a few questions about how you handled this process. Next up in no particular order are a formal interview, a group presentation type thing where you (along with 2-3 other people) act like you're holding a business meeting in front of the people assessing you, and a case study where you're given ~15 minutes to study some material and come up with a plan, and then you present that plan to a couple of assessors. They'll change information and try to throw you off. React to what they're saying and have some confidence. May need to change your original plan based off what they tell you. Probably. In between some of these activities, they'll sit you down for lunch with the entire group of assessors. Try to get to know as many as possible and don't just focus on one. This is a group lunch, not one on one. Then you're done! It lasts all day and is completely miserable, in my opinion, but it sorts out people pretty well. It throws you off and makes you uncomfortable, which is exactly how Shell wants to see you. Anyone can come into a cookie-cutter interview and nail it, but Shell pokes and prods you and maybe even tasers you with that email thing, and then sees how you react and do the rest of the day.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here? What was a time you worked in a group and how did you handle it?   1 Answer

Administrative Interview

Interview

I was brought on by a temp agency. It was a very smooth interview process that was surprisingly quick and easy. I got to meet with the team I would potentially be working with. They were both very relatable, somewhat informal. For a place like Shell I was surprised by the way the interview worked, but I liked it that way because they made me feel very comfortable.

Interview Questions

• I wasn't given a typical interview with the same run-of-the-mill interview questions. It was more or less something for us to both get to know each other and see if my personality was a good fit.   Answer Question

Warehouse Lead Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

Interview

One of the best interview & hiring processes I've ever experienced. It starts of with a phone interview by recruiter, all the usual questions were raised. Second and final stage was the face-to-face interview. The most striking difference was my application profile has already been populated and the interview began as soon as I arrived. Panel interviews with 2 that performs the technical assessment and 1 HR (in the middle) that fires the questions. Focus heavily on situational questions, assessment appears to be based on how you respond to different situations instead of how impressive your answers are.

Interview Questions

• You are the CEO of the company, and your product are used internationally by celebrities and leading figures. A suspected fault in your product happened upon a celebrity, how will you respond?   Answer Question

Graduate Interview

Interview

Phone Interview with a local HR personnel. The process is pretty fast after the few online assessments which is automatically sent out. Interview questions are actually predictable if prepared well before hand. After the phone interview will be the SRD.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in September 2014.

Interview

First finish the online application. After that you will get links for online assessment. The first one is about team-work and decision making. After finishing the first one, you will get another ink about mathematics calculation with time constraint. I was invited to campus interview, 1 to 1 interview. Most of the questions are behavior questions, no technical, like team work experience, challenging experience. After that, you will be asked for the reasons to work in energy industry, and specific reasons to work for Shell. You will have a chance to ask questions at the end. The whole interview took about 45min.

Interview Questions

• Please tell me how you deal with a situation when you have conflicts with others.   Answer Question

Plant Operator Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

Interview

Very in-depth and extensive testing and background check many test. Very in-depth physical examination and drug testing vie hair sample. First interview by phone, second in person then skill testing and phsi

Interview Questions

• What is the most difficult decision you have made in your life.   1 Answer

Technical Safety Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in March 2014.

Interview

Phone interview lasted about two hours consisting of experience qualifications and personality oriented questions, in person interview on campus was similar to the phone interview, followed by recruitment day in Houston, TX.

Interview Questions

• Just the sheer length of the recruitment day was exhausting.   Answer Question

Didn't fit the job they suggested.

Graduate Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell (Houston, TX) in October 2013.

Interview

I had an initial phone interview. It was supposed to be in person but I was bed ridden after surgery. Basic behavioral questions, except it was about 45 minutes to an hour, so many questions started sounding the same. They also asked why kind of position you would be interested in working in. I got an email maybe a week later inviting me to the Shell Recruitment Day. It is a day and a half interview. The first night you get to know the company and have a dinner with the 6 or so other interviewees and current employees. We had to do an assessment that was kind of like answering fake emails. It was really hard to me. Then we had an "interview" that asked us how we handled the assessment. Then we had a group activity to see how we worked in groups. Then another 50 minute interview of behavior questions. Lastly a case study that we did on our own, and they interviewed me asking me how I approached the problem. Although I did not get an offer, It was a nice all expense paid experience, and I got to practice my interview skills

Interview Questions

• The case studies are no where near as intense as those in capstone classes like say Harvard Business Review cases. I thought I did well, but I think I did really bad on that first assessment. Everyone thought they did bad, and I think they make it hard on purpose to see how you handle it. I just think I did terrible. haha.   2 Answers