Royal Dutch Shell Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 20, 2014
221 interviews

3.5

Plant Operator Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

Very in-depth and extensive testing and background check many test. Very in-depth physical examination and drug testing vie hair sample. First interview by phone, second in person then skill testing and phsi

Interview Questions
    • What is the most difficult decision you have made in your life.   View Answer

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New Orleans, LA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Orleans, LA

I interviewed online - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in August 2013.

Interviewed and within a week was offered the job. The hiring process is a lengthy one, it took 2 months from start to finish. It was a relativly easy process, just long.

Interview Questions
    There was not a negotiation process, I asked for what I wanted and received that amount.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cottonwood, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cottonwood, AZ

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in August 2011.

I only had two interviews. One with the store manager and then the district supervisor. Both lasted approximately five minutes each. They asked if I had any physical limitations, tattoos, cash handling experience and customer service experience.

Wells Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in April 2013.

My background is in Petroleum Engineering and I applied for Shell Recruitment Day in an entry level position. Recruiter always called on time and stayed in contact throughout the process which took about three months. I was asked to choose which career paths were appealing such as reservoir, production, operations, etc. Second question was what location I would like to work, it is important to be very honest with locations. Shell Recruitment is a good way of showing where the company's values and goals are aligned. I would read through the website as Q&A will come from there during the interview.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation is allowed for graduates.

Mechanical Engineering Summer Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in September 2013.

I applied for an internship position via the Shell website and talk to them during the career fair at my University. Before they offered me an interview, I had to complete 3 online assessments. The first 2 were not timed but the last one has a time limit. After the interview I waited around 2 month and got an offer.

Interview Questions
    • The person that interviewed me did not ask me any technical questions. All of the questions were "What would you do in this situation" or "name one time when a specific problem happened and how did you overcome it".   Answer Question
    A representative at Shell will contact you and present some documents for you to look over and sign before they hire you.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in May 2013.

I interviewed through Shell Recruitment Day. The entire process was extremely in depth and they really get a good read on an individuals potential to become a future leader of the company. Not very technical as they are not looking for graduates who's potential is limited to individual contributor roles. The interview is more character and stragic visions based. If you make it to SRD they assume your GPA, resume, etc. already demonstrate your technical ability in your given field.

Interview Questions
    • The entire Shell Recruitment Day was difficult, but something I enjoyed. There is plenty of opportunity to demonstarte your ability to to think out of the box in terms of business strategy, approach, and leading.   View Answer
    No negotiation as it was already much higher paying than the rest of the big players.

Senior Petroleum Reservoir Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I interviewed online - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in November 2009.

Indeed website advertised for the position of senior petroleum reservoir engineer. I submitted my resume via Indeed website and got interview invitation and got employed.

Interview Questions
    • why I believe I should be a chosen candidate for the position   View Answer
    my performance during the interview phase make the agreement beneficial and rewarding

Graduate Program Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in October 2013.

I had an initial phone interview. It was supposed to be in person but I was bed ridden after surgery. Basic behavioral questions, except it was about 45 minutes to an hour, so many questions started sounding the same. They also asked why kind of position you would be interested in working in.

I got an email maybe a week later inviting me to the Shell Recruitment Day. It is a day and a half interview. The first night you get to know the company and have a dinner with the 6 or so other interviewees and current employees. We had to do an assessment that was kind of like answering fake emails. It was really hard to me. Then we had an "interview" that asked us how we handled the assessment. Then we had a group activity to see how we worked in groups. Then another 50 minute interview of behavior questions. Lastly a case study that we did on our own, and they interviewed me asking me how I approached the problem.

Although I did not get an offer, It was a nice all expense paid experience, and I got to practice my interview skills

Interview Questions
    • The case studies are no where near as intense as those in capstone classes like say Harvard Business Review cases. I thought I did well, but I think I did really bad on that first assessment. Everyone thought they did bad, and I think they make it hard on purpose to see how you handle it. I just think I did terrible. haha.   View Answer

Shell Graduate Programmer, Geologist Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

First I made the online assessment which is split into three different parts (google it!). There is a 18 min timed part where you will have to solve mathematical problems (you will be presented different graphs A-D with percentages of "whatever the problem is", and they ask you to calculate the percentage of E if "whatever the problem is"). It is actually quite difficult given the time running down. Anyhow I got an email answer 1 month later that I passed and I will be contacted for a telephone interview.
    In early July someone contacted me to set up a telephone interview for the end of July. The telephone interview was as expected (google it!). The usual questions about achievement, relationship and team work. I wasn't ask about the capacity part you often read about. The telephone interview took about 60 min. You better prepare this interview well, google the usual interview questions from recruiters, think about answers you want to give. The interviewer was very nice, but cut me off if I didn't stick to the questions.
    End of August I heard back from Shell that I am invited to the SRD (Shell Recruitment Day).

Interview Questions
    • The interview process was as expected. All details can be found on the internet. Prepare the telephone interview VERY well, so you can give the answers with the "key words" they want to hear.   View Answer
    I am invited to the SRD in The Hague.

Shell Graduate Program Interview

I applied to Shell through online application. After a week, I got a phone call to set up an interview date with a phone screener. Prepared very well for that one. Collected questions and do mock interview with my wife. It was enjoyable.

At the phone interview, the interviewer was very nice but professional. He took a lot of notes. Questions were based on my past projects in college. Mostly revolve around what I did and what I learnt as an individual. They want you to show (not tell) what you can do through your past experience. I am very surprised because they had no technical questions for me even though I applied to a technical position (Engineer for Graduate Program).

Couple of questions I could remember were:
    - Time you had to work hard to deliver a result
    - Solve team conflict
    - Convince other people
    - Deal with an awkward situation with another new team member.
    - What do you know about Shell
    - Why should we hire you

I followed the STAR (Situation, Task, Action, Results) model for most of my questions. Just remember that whatever you do, they want to hear about what "you" did. So use a lot of "I", not "we". The results and what you learn is critical to the success at this stage. They are hiring fresh new blood, and what they look for is a thirst for learning and success.

The interviewer loved the interview, and I got it through to the next stage. SRD review incoming very soon. :)

Interview Questions
    • - Deal with an awkward situation with another new team member.   View Answer

Worked for Royal Dutch Shell? Contribute to the Community!