Royal Dutch Shell Interview Questions

Updated Oct 26, 2014
Updated Oct 26, 2014

3.5

Account Manager Interview

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in July 2010.

Telephonic interview
    Group discussion
    mock drill of the actual job---
    ou can directly Personal interview by managers
    Interview by HR
    Offer letter

At the end of the very late in the eveing you are freed with an Offer letter so that you can directly head to party

Interview Questions
    • very basic Technical questions such as how gear box worls ratio teeth some mathematical qiestions to test ability   Answer Question
    • HR very personal questions to find out more about personal character   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in October 2009.

Here we go!

The process for us was divided in two parts.
    1) Screening
    2) SRD (Shell Recruitment Day)

I. Screening
    I) First of all we had to fill and submit a resume. The resume is in a specific format and will be provided by Shell. Plus, we also had to apply online and fill a virtual resume online. Based on these two resumes, some people were short listed for telephonic interview.

ii) The date for Telephonic interview was communicated in advance. They can call at any time. I was the first to get a call at around 11 am and the last call came at about 8 or 9 pm. So be prepared! My interview was a 5 minute thing. Interviews are non – Technical. They asked me about some general stuff and then gave me a topic to speak on for a couple of minutes. Those who make through the interview will be called for SRD.

II. SRD
    I) Project Round: Also known as Technical round, here you will be asked to present projects which you have done. You may present any project be it COP, SOP, LOP, Apogee, Internship, PS1 etc. We were asked to present only 1 project of our choice. All the questions in this round were related ONLY to the project and no other technical questions were asked. Those who make it through this round will go for HR.

ii) HR Round: A very short and simple HR round. Quite simple.

iii) Case Study Round: We were given a 60-70 page case study. We had to go through and prepare a 5 minute presentation on it. All this had to be done in 90 minutes. Please note that the presentation MUST NOT be of more than 5 minutes.
    The case study round is a unique round and is somewhat difficult also. And so to make things simpler for the candidates, one sample case study round is held one day before SRD. That sample round is non evaluative. Also, you won’t find these case studies anywhere on the internet or in books. So, don’t waste your time in searching for them. Your best opportunity to prepare for it will be during the sample round. Those who survive this round will go for the final round.
    iv) Group Activity Round: This is a modified GD round. The only thing is that here you won’t be alone; you will be divided in two teams. This is quite a simple round. You will be given a topic and some literature will also be provided. Your (and your team’s) discussion MUST revolve around the given literature only.

Important advice:
    This was the process for us. It might be different for you guys. So don’t depend on this completely. And people with low CGPA need not worry. The CGPA cut off was 6.0 for us. So, whether you are 6.01 or 9.99, it really won’t matter.

Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in The Hague (Netherlands)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in The Hague (Netherlands)

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in November 2011.

Applied via the online platform and was selected for a phone interview. After about 2 weeks the interview was scheduled. The phone interview lasted for approx 1.5 hours, comprised 3 sections and followed the CAR structure.

Interview Questions
    • What is your greatest achievement? What were the intermediate steps you took and how did you assess your progress?   Answer Question

Petroleum Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in December 2008.

For campus hire the interview is threefold- technical,busiess planning & group discussion. The procedure starts with submitting cv in specified cv format for shell. On the day of interview panels of selector , comprising of both technical & HR persons take interview in three rounds. After each round elimination occurs and successful candidates only are allowed for next round.
    First round is usually technical. Here the candidate is asked to present one of his/her project of choice briefly. The interview is then based on the project work. Next round is busines planning. For this round study materials are provided. after one hour each candidate has to present their business plan before the pannel and will convince them with satisfactory answers to their quarries.Fial round is group discussion on selected problems.

Gradute Well Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stavanger (Norway)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stavanger (Norway)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in November 2011.

Had the phone interview twice or so and it is similar each time, and difficult. This is a behavioral based interview where the interviewer asks about your past achievements, challenges etc. and how you dealt with them to reach your goal. At the end there is a little case where you are asked to choose one of 4-5 topics and explain how you would solve a given challenge. They want you to demonstrate their CART values. If you succeed, you will be called in for an on-site interview together with other candidates.

Interview Questions
    • Tell about a time when you achieved something/faced a challenge/had to deal with a troublesome team member.   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

The hiring process is very structured, with interviews sounding like it is an exam question. They will probe into your details about everything you have in your resume, and they will ask you technical questions for specific jobs.

Interview Questions
    • They will ask you some 'high-level' and strategic level thinking questions.   Answer Question

Graduate Interview

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in December 2012.

Mixed interview process. Very good university outreach programme and good opportunities to network with senior employees. No psychometric tests (I believe this is to change as of Jan 2013) and telephone interview is the next stage after online application. Slow at times to progress through stages (4/5 weeks).

Interview Questions
    • You are the CEO of a large company, justify and rank which parts of the world are your priority for oil exploration   View Answer

SAP Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cyberjaya (Malaysia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cyberjaya (Malaysia)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in February 2009.

This role was based in Cyberjaya, Malaysia.

3 hours of interview until you feel thirsty talking.

1. Technical questions
    2. Functional questions
    3. Behavior - this was the hardest for anyone.

Interview Questions
    Well you cant nego nothing much, they will rank you accordingly to your years of experience and sorts.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in July 2013.

I applied for Shell's graduate programme online. The first stage was an online assessment that asked questions on how to prioritise different responses based on given situations. This was a behavioural test specific to Shell's business scenarios rather than something generic.

The second stage was an hour and a half long phone interview with Shell recruitment psychologist. Again, the focus was on understand the way I react to situations, and the phone interview revolved around picking out specific examples of when I worked in teams at work / university, and drilling deep into how I responded on those situations.

I was called for a Shell Recruitment Day (SRD) after the phone interview. There were four other candidates; what was stressed during the initial briefing was that all candidates are judged individually rather than competing for a single position, which takes a lot of pressure off during group tasks. It also makes sense since the candidates they call are all typically applying for different job roles.

The SRD assessment day was a challenging experience. All candidates had been provided an information pack with background information about a fictional region where Shell wanted to set up operations. Based on this, the first task on the assessment was an 'e-tray' email simulation exercise, quite similar to the initial online assessment, which asks you to rate responses to scenarios provided in emails. The second part of the e-tray is a writing exercise on the same project. This is followed by a 1:1 self-reflection interview on how you think the task went, what did you do right, what did you miss etc.

The next task is a group exercise, a continuation of the same scenario, where all the candidates were provided additional information and tasked with coming up with Shell's response as a group. This is used to check how you work within a team.

The third task is an individual case study, with further information provided on the same scenario and you're tasked with presenting your findings to a group panel. A follow-up interview is held on explaining the rationale behind the findings of the verbal presentation / pitch.

The final task is a skills / competency based interview, about an hour long, where Shell managers in the job roles you've applied to ask questions about specific examples of where you've worked in a team. This was quite similar to the phone interview that I had earlier.

The turnaround time on a decision was quick too as I was told within 24 hours. The feedback given was quite extensive; in my case, pointing out that my rationale for some of the answers I gave in the e-tray were weak, and I skipped answering some questions too.

Overall, it felt like the interview experience gave exposure to what it's really like to work at Shell, more so than the typical assessment process that other companies take. There was a lot of emphasis on behavioural analysis.

Interview Questions
    • In the follow-up interview of the case study task, at the end of the interview they added some new information and asked how that affected my recommendations, and what changed I would make.   View Answers (2)

Senior Programmer Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

3 stage interview
    Phone
    Skills
    Then role play

Interview Questions
    • The questions were very long and you need to provide details   Answer Question

Too much travel and I didn't like the hiring manager