Royal Dutch Shell

Updated Dec 15, 2014
Updated Dec 15, 2014

3.5

Shell CS PhD Program Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

Stages:
    1. Online test: aptitude, personality questions
    2. Telephonic Interview: personality questions
    3. Typical Shell Recruitment Day: Etray test, Self reflection interview, case study, group discussion

As I applied for a technical role. They focus mainly on the personality side throughout the process. All in all SRD proved to be a long day of scrutiny of one's personality. Although long but enjoyable as you would end up having healthy interaction with fellow SRD candidates and making new friends.

Interview Questions
    • Different Life examples. "A situation where you worked in group and faced conflict"   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Haag (Netherlands)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Haag (Netherlands)

I applied online – interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in October 2014.

First, I filled the online application form, then passed the online test, including personality test and numerical one. After that, I was called to the Hague for the interview. The interview lasted for around 1 hours, all about prior experiences, pretty stressful. After 2 weeks, I got the result, failed

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation where you had to convince others using different approaches?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in October 2014.

i applied online through their website. i pass both tests. math part is quite confusing but i manage to get it done within 18 minutes. don't be afraid, you can do it too. then i called for an interview. it was my first interview and i was so nervous. they ask a lot about "tell me a time when you......" so called behavioral question. extracurricular activities in the past help a lot here.

Interview Questions
    • tell me a time when you have to be sensitive to someone else background and cultural belief.   Answer Question

File Clerk Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

The interview process was fairly easy, the expectations were not unreasonable. I was able to get an interview right away with no delay. The hiring person was clear on expectations and the people were easy to work with.

MBA Employment Opportunities Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in November 2014.

Interviewed by two trained Shell employees at the same time. They are very friendly. The interview is split between questions on professional experience and a case.
    Questions on experience are basically 3, one for each of the leadership principles: Capacity, Achievement, Relationships. This took around one hour. Make sure you have a good understanding of the principles and stories that relate back to them.
    The case took another hour and is basically set around stakeholder management. Not related to O&G.

Interview Questions
    • None really, the interview was very straightforward. If anything, they ask a lot of follow-up questions (20 minutes worth for each leadership principle) regarding your experience.   Answer Question

Shell Graduate Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in November 2014.

An online application with some preliminary questions followed by two online tests is the starting point for the application to the Shell Graduate Programme. The first online test gives you various scenarios you may face in Shell and tests your decision making in these situations. Following the completion of this test, you will get an email with an hour or two on whether you have been successful after which you will be required to complete another standard numerical test online.

Upon successful passing of these two tests, you may get an email within a week or two for scheduling a first round of interview which could be either face-to-face or through telephone. In this interview, you are asked examples of various behavioral situations you have faced and how you tackled them, based on the CAR criteria of Shell. Be sure to only talk about what you did and avoid too many details regarding the situation. You might also want to give different examples for each question to show your breadth of experiences.

If successful further, you will be emailed and invited to the Shell Recruitment Day (SRD) along with a maximum of 5 other candidates. There is also a Pre-SRD briefing before the actual SRD to help you familiarize with all the tasks and get introduced to the coordinators and other candidates. The SRD would be a long day filled with different kinds of exercises. The first is an E-tray exercise for which you might be given a practice link before-hand (time is the biggest constraint here and you need to be really quick in looking through various documents and understanding them). This is followed by a group discussion and self-reflection interview to judge your ability to work in a group and your level of self-awareness respectively. The next and most crucial part of the interview is the case-study analysis. You will be given about 8-10 page case with different info and a question - you would have to prepare a presentation of about 5 mins with your recommendation in a very short time of only 20 minutes. Be sure to think through your recommendation as you will be questioned deeply on how you would defend your recommendation in various scenarios. Try to come up with different and more comprehensive answers to the different probing questions that you may be asked instead of repeating your basic logic (this is what I did unfortunately due to lack of time). The Q&A session will last about 30-40 minutes! Finally, there is another round of final interview with the assessors at SRD which would again include different behavioral and other general questions regarding your motivation, etc. Overall, the SRD is a very thorough, challenging but enriching experience. Though I didn't get through the SRD finally, I think I still gained a lot from my experiences on that day itself.

Interview Questions
    • The case study and the E-tray exercise are usually the hardest parts of the entire process owing to lack of sufficient time for both.   Answer Question

Shell Recruitment Day Interview

After 5 stages, finally went to the final SRD. The first is online application, then two online tests (situation judgmental and math), then a face to face interview, and then SRD.

Graduate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

The online assessment was for a very limited time. So you need to be focused and in a quiet environment. The call lasted 1 and half hour and it went well. It would be better if you get prepared. The women on line was very friendly. Now I'll see how SRD goes.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a situation when you have to solve conflict   Answer Question

Technical Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangkok (Thailand)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangkok (Thailand)

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in November 2014.

Application process has so many steps, it starts with three online tests that were not too difficult. If passed, Face-to-face interview will be the next step where you have to interview with Senior HR, the interview was in structured questions. After that, if passed, you will be invited to SRD which is the most difficult stage that you have to attend assessment centre and complete all tasks such as online test, group discussion, case study and final interview.

Interview Questions
    • There were no significance difficult questions since all tasks are designed to be difficult. It depends on your expertise and skill so if you are good at reading and presentation, you may perform well in case study. Personally, it think the most difficult task was e-tray exercise which you have to compete with a very limited time and tonnes of information and tasks.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in September 2014.

First finish the online application. After that you will get links for online assessment. The first one is about team-work and decision making. After finishing the first one, you will get another ink about mathematics calculation with time constraint. I was invited to campus interview, 1 to 1 interview. Most of the questions are behavior questions, no technical, like team work experience, challenging experience. After that, you will be asked for the reasons to work in energy industry, and specific reasons to work for Shell. You will have a chance to ask questions at the end. The whole interview took about 45min.

Interview Questions
    • Please tell me how you deal with a situation when you have conflicts with others.   Answer Question