Royal Dutch Shell Interview Questions

Updated Oct 20, 2014
Updated Oct 20, 2014

3.5

Commercial Graduate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in October 2014.

After creating an account on application page you are required to submit the CV. After that there are two online assessment stages; first one being a personality test. I did not continue after the first one. But it was a very short and precise test; taking less than 20 mins to complete

Process Engineer Interview

1) Psychometric Test - Test your mental stabililty
    2) Aptitude Test - Basic graphs and data interpretation questions
    3) Telephonic Interview - They focus on the use of 'I' rather than 'We' and ask questions on the CART structure. Be genuine here and only use real life experiences. Don't fabricate your own stories.
    4) SRD Interview

Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in May 2014.

online application. Then, online assessment. Then, they will call you for an interview. The online assessment was around medium difficultly. However, I got to say that their interview was really tough comparing to other interviews. Most of their questions are about your things that happened in your life and you have to give them detailed example of so many scenarios that you may not have even encountered. So, prepare as many examples as you can before your interview.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example of a situation that you encountered where you had to get to know somebody in order to achieve something.   Answer Question

Because they wanted me to work in Iraq instead of Dubai just because of the fact that my passport says I'm Iraqi even though I lived most of my life in Dubai and i applied for the position in Dubai.

Technical Safety Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in March 2014.

Phone interview lasted about two hours consisting of experience qualifications and personality oriented questions, in person interview on campus was similar to the phone interview, followed by recruitment day in Houston, TX.

Interview Questions
    • Just the sheer length of the recruitment day was exhausting.   Answer Question

Didn't fit the job they suggested.

Graduate Programmer In Finance Interview

As other people have commented here regarding the online testing but I also wanted to add that, with regard to the first online assessment where you are required to rate actions you would take and then rate the most and least effective solution - DO NOT choose the most ideal ones every time as it presents an unrealistic viewpoint and only shows that you are trying to give what they want.

With the second online assessment you have 18 mins to complete 18 questions that involve analysing charts/graphs and interpreting and calculating information from them. I personally found it very time pressured although the questions weren't particularly difficult. The tests are by Cubiks and there may be practice tests available online or hints and tips on video channels.

Overall, with the first one you should really try to visualise yourself in the scenarios given and think logically about how all stakeholders/people involved are affected rather than just trying to give the model answer. For the second, timed assessment do try and find practice tests available and do them. Even if you can't find cubiks ones try and find a generic test online where you have to analyse and interpret charts and perform calculations AND THEN DO THESE UNDER TIME RESTRICTION. The reason I say this is that it will give your brain a reference point for working under pressure so hopefully you won't be too overwhelmed when you come to this part of the test.

Having said all of that, I completed 10 out of 18 and still got called for an interview so don't lose too much sleep over it.

Process Engineer Interview

done with online assessment, and waiting for telephne interview. if you have time and want to save time you can go through the the cognitive sample questions which is been posted and mostly the same questions you get.

Interview Questions
    • numericals in online assessment has to be prepared before giving it   Answer Question

Commercial Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rijswijk, South Holland (Netherlands)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rijswijk, South Holland (Netherlands)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in August 2014.

After being contacted by a recruiter I did the tests, behavioral en numerical, which were straightforward and not difficult. Didn' t do it that good for the numerical I only finished 2/3 of the questions. But according to the recruiter I scored above average. Had a face-to-face interview. they just read from the paper which questions to ask (not by HR but random people in the company) Situation based questions...prepare good examples. No knowledge of the company was needed, I wasted my time focusing on that rather than preparing good examples.

Interview Questions
    • Name a situation in which you had to work with someone, how did that relationship evolve?   Answer Question

Assessed Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

1- Submitted the Resume online

2- 2 Tests
    One is personal which is quite easy and you should answer what you believe
    the other is situational and you should answer according to Shell principle (Vision and mission)
    it also has numerical test, be fast and prepare a good calculator as graphs and tables are full of information and you will take time to find the right ones then do the calculation.

3- Interview
    The CAP is essential assignment and all question based on it
    So prepare your answer in advanced in STARR hierarchy
    and when you mention one example you should stick to it as the interviewer will not allows you to change it for the same question.
    The question were like the one the recruiter send you as tips to help you or what you usually find on the Internet about CAP interviews

4- Offer or not

Interview Questions
    • What challenges you faced and how you over come it in this example you mentioned ?   View Answer

Graduate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

you have to register until end of deadline on Shell.com and choose one way : 1- an assessed internship 2- graduate program
    after submission you pass an online behavior online test(unlimited time)
    then decision making and numerical test

if you successfully passed exams u invited to an phone interview

Interview Questions
    • i suggest to anybody search and practice on competency based interview, behavior interview   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Karāchi (Pakistan)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Karāchi (Pakistan)

I applied through college or university. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in January 2010.

All interviews focus on the CAR aspect: Capacity, Achievements and Relationships with an additional T (Technical) element at times. Structure all achievements and past experiences in light of this. A lot of focus on pipeline development so many questions will be asked to determine if you can manage not just the current role but responsibilities beyond that

Interview Questions
    • Breadth of lateral thinking tested sometimes; like views on space travel or managing a complex governmental office like the information ministry. Sometimes a difficult situation where you were a functional head and the general manager quit and you were asked to fill in those shoes when your ex-peers and current reports do not completed trust or respect and felt they were entitled to have the same job.   Answer Question