Royal Dutch Shell Interview Questions

Updated Jul 2, 2015

3.5

Shell Graduate Program Interview

Interview

I applied to Shell through online application. After a week, I got a phone call to set up an interview date with a phone screener. Prepared very well for that one. Collected questions and do mock interview with my wife. It was enjoyable.

At the phone interview, the interviewer was very nice but professional. He took a lot of notes. Questions were based on my past projects in college. Mostly revolve around what I did and what I learnt as an individual. They want you to show (not tell) what you can do through your past experience. I am very surprised because they had no technical questions for me even though I applied to a technical position (Engineer for Graduate Program).

Couple of questions I could remember were:
    - Time you had to work hard to deliver a result
    - Solve team conflict
    - Convince other people
    - Deal with an awkward situation with another new team member.
    - What do you know about Shell
    - Why should we hire you

I followed the STAR (Situation, Task, Action, Results) model for most of my questions. Just remember that whatever you do, they want to hear about what "you" did. So use a lot of "I", not "we". The results and what you learn is critical to the success at this stage. They are hiring fresh new blood, and what they look for is a thirst for learning and success.

The interviewer loved the interview, and I got it through to the next stage. SRD review incoming very soon. :)

Interview Questions

• - Deal with an awkward situation with another new team member.   1 Answer

Mechanical Engineering Summer Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell (Houston, TX) in September 2013.

Interview

I applied for an internship position via the Shell website and talk to them during the career fair at my University. Before they offered me an interview, I had to complete 3 online assessments. The first 2 were not timed but the last one has a time limit. After the interview I waited around 2 month and got an offer.

Interview Questions

• The person that interviewed me did not ask me any technical questions. All of the questions were "What would you do in this situation" or "name one time when a specific problem happened and how did you overcome it".   Answer Question

Negotiation

A representative at Shell will contact you and present some documents for you to look over and sign before they hire you.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Orleans, LA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell (New Orleans, LA) in August 2013.

Interview

Interviewed and within a week was offered the job. The hiring process is a lengthy one, it took 2 months from start to finish. It was a relativly easy process, just long.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was not a negotiation process, I asked for what I wanted and received that amount.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell (Houston, TX) in May 2013.

Interview

I interviewed through Shell Recruitment Day. The entire process was extremely in depth and they really get a good read on an individuals potential to become a future leader of the company. Not very technical as they are not looking for graduates who's potential is limited to individual contributor roles. The interview is more character and stragic visions based. If you make it to SRD they assume your GPA, resume, etc. already demonstrate your technical ability in your given field.

Interview Questions

• The entire Shell Recruitment Day was difficult, but something I enjoyed. There is plenty of opportunity to demonstarte your ability to to think out of the box in terms of business strategy, approach, and leading.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation as it was already much higher paying than the rest of the big players.

Wells Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell (Houston, TX) in April 2013.

Interview

My background is in Petroleum Engineering and I applied for Shell Recruitment Day in an entry level position. Recruiter always called on time and stayed in contact throughout the process which took about three months. I was asked to choose which career paths were appealing such as reservoir, production, operations, etc. Second question was what location I would like to work, it is important to be very honest with locations. Shell Recruitment is a good way of showing where the company's values and goals are aligned. I would read through the website as Q&A will come from there during the interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation is allowed for graduates.

Financial Analyst Interview

Interview

The Phone interview was a basic interview. Questions regarding greatest achievement, why do you want to work here, etc.

Interview Questions

• Biggest weakness, it is always a difficult questions but job be prepared fore it and you will be fine.   Answer Question

Recent Graduate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

Interview

I had a phone interview that lasted about 45 minutes. There were a handful of behavioral interview questions as well as questions that were based around topics that Shell Oil deals with. The behavioral questions were all based around teamwork and how well you work in diverse teams.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you implemented a new technology or idea for a team.   1 Answer

Category Manager - Contracts & Procurement Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell (New Orleans, LA).

Interview

I applied online and was called within 2 weeks for a phone interview, which was fairly informal. It ran between 30 and 45 minutes and I was given the chance to go through my resume and talk about my experiences. I was also given a bit of background about the position by the hiring manager. About a week later, I was called once again and asked to meet for a face to face interview. This involved me being flown out to New Orleans. I was asked to prepare a presentation that would take about 20 minutes to present. During the presentation I was to discuss a project I had worked on previously and the challenges I faced, what I learned, the steps I took to solving the problems I encountered, etc. I was to present to the hiring manager, HR, and a senior level manager. The presentation portion of the interview went very smoothly and everyone made me feel very welcome and comfortable. The interview ended up being very conversational as the interviewers did not wait for me to finish the whole presentation before asking questions. There was also a "standard interview questions" portion, as well as a brief case study.

Interview Questions

• The case study is something you cannot really prepare for. A scenario is presented to you and you have to answer a series of questions, based on the background information that is given to you. You are asked to answer these questions as though you are the CEO of the company. I don't remember exactly the question that was asked, but I do remember that there were some questions that tested ethics and others that looked at your strategic/problem solving skills.   1 Answer

Process Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in October 2012.

Interview

Online application on the shell website, followed by a phone interview lasting around 30min. The entire process took about 2 months, involving 2 or 3 successive emails from the HR telling us to wait and that the interview date will be confirmed in due time. Good thing is that you will be informed within 2 working days if you have been rejected after the phone interview.

Interview Questions

• Nothing difficult, standard questions regarding your resume and scenario questions, like how you handled certain things. This is then followed by a case study type of question, which has been described many times on this website.   1 Answer

Communications Creative - Executive Producer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell (Los Angeles, CA) in September 2012.

Interview

Much has been documented about Shell's grueliing interview process, and the taste I got seemed to verify everything I'd heard. Submitted an application online through the employee referral system, and received an email within a few weeks with a number of questions, then a follow up email to set up a phone interview. To my surprise, the phone interview was with the hiring manager from overseas (I would have thought there would be a phone screening prior to connecting directly with the hiring manager). The interview was thorough, lasting over 40 minutes, and the interviewer was polite but intense. The process was described to me, and the typical questions (Why do you want to work for Shell? Why should we hire you over the next guy?) were asked. There were also practical and behavioral questions, and questions about how I saw myself fitting in with - or more specifically coping with - the Shell culture in the context of this newly created position. I felt the interview went well, though the interviewer gave no indication one way or the other.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with being in an unpopular position and getting buy-in from Shell business executives who dont see the value of what you are doing?   Answer Question