Royal Dutch Shell Interview Questions

Updated Oct 20, 2014

3.5

Geologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in August 2011.

In the 1st round interview the interviewer asked me for a copy of my resume. Throughout the interview they asked me the following questions: Can you tell me about a recent achievement or accomplishment you are proud of? What steps did you take to reach this accomplishment? Tell me about a time when you worked on a project with a team? Did you face a difference of opinions while working with this team?

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time in which you demonstrated leadership behavior while working with a group of people, and how did the group of people respond to your leadership behaviors?   Answer Question

Field Based Area Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in February 2011.

Long time to respond, probably due to number of on-line applicants.

Interview Questions
    • How did you demonstrate......( name a good work trait in the past jobs you held)   View Answer
    Easy. They pay fair.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in September 2010.

I applied online and was offered an interview when shell came to recruit on campus. Half of the interview consisted of behavioral questions. The other half you chose topics such as research and development. You pretended you owned a company and you answered question relating to the topic. I would say they have an amazing management structure since it is less Hierarchal than other companies. Be able to analyze your problem solving skills, communication skills, and leadership skills, based on your experiences.

Natural Gas Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in July 2010.

Shell has a difficult interview process if you go through the normal HR channels. However, once within Shell it is somewhat easy to transfer from one role to the next using their MOR (managed open resources). That is what I used to land the role I am currently in. The interview process was informal. I met with a colleague that was hiring for the position and discussed my interest in the position and how I thought I could contribute. He already knew me as we had worked together before. After vetting a couple other internal candidates, I was chosen to fill the vacancy.

Interview Questions
    • As mentioned above, it was a very informal interview. It was mostly just a chat about how I could fit in. There were no really difficult questions that I can remember.   Answer Question

Senior Petroleum Reservoir Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in November 2009.

Indeed website advertised for the position of senior petroleum reservoir engineer. I submitted my resume via Indeed website and got interview invitation and got employed.

Interview Questions
    • why I believe I should be a chosen candidate for the position   View Answer
    my performance during the interview phase make the agreement beneficial and rewarding

Recent PhD Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in October 2009.

The interview went well, but it was the cliche interview asking things like "tell me about a time when you showed _______." I felt as if I were treated like another undergraduate seeking employment, in fact, my interviewer didn't know up front that I was a graduate student. The interviewer did not even ask me at all about my research or my expertise, which was frustrating and made me question how much Shell cares about PhD hires. Said it would take a very long time to get back to me.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about an experience in which you showed initiative   Answer Question
    • Tell me about an experience where you had to learn a new skill set   Answer Question

Finance Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in September 2009.

Spoke with representatives at a career fair and received an invite for an interview about a week later. The day before the official interview there was an informal group meeting discussing some of the non job specific aspects related to working at Shell. The Interview stressed Capacity, Achievement, and Relationships. The achievement aspect is tested by asking you to describe a past achievement. The capacity aspect is tested by giving you a sample problem to describe and solve at a high level. The relationships aspect is drawn on more or less through out.

Interview Questions
    • Describe the challenges of standardization over the next 10 to 15 years   Answer Question

Senior Energy Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in January 2009.

The interview was conducted by a supervisor and additional senior member of the staff. Both very friendly.

Interview Questions
    • What can do you bring table?
      How do you respond to chaotic work situations?
        View Answer
    There was no negotiation. The offer was lower than I expected but I wanted the new skills, so I accepted.

Reservoir Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in December 2008.

The first day is the technical interview with a one-hour presentation of my research project, followed up by several 1-1 interview with managers. They asked some questions that you may never think in that aspect. The technical interview manager was nice.
    The second day is the famous Shell Recruiting Day, including the technical interview (1 hr), business strategy case interview, and group interview. They gave you a case of developing a new business plan in a small island, and asked you the associated opportunities and risks.

Interview Questions
    • If an extreme situation is assumed for your research, what would you expect for your research results?   Answer Question

Division Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in August 2008.

The interview was non-threatening, genuinely interested in getting to know my skills set, but extremely thorough. Questions cut through the prepared responses, and dug deep to get an accurate understanding of previous experience and job skills. Several 1-1 interviews, phone interviews, and a panel interview, with lunch and dinner discussions. The employees were well rounded, with little specializations, and positive attitudes. Very much focused on results through team work, with a culture of health and safety of the employees.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you think you are right for this position? What do you offer that another candidate can't?   Answer Question
    • Case: You manage a major manufacturer of children's toys. One of the toys recently caused the death of a child, and the press is spinning the story all over the media. What should you do?   View Answer
    Disappointed with the compensation package, with no negotiations. Pay is based on 'job grade', and they start employees out at low end of the range to provide room for growth. Window for job grade promotion is 2 year minimum. Very focused on developing employees from within, giving a variety of career experience.