Royal Dutch Shell Interview Questions

Updated Aug 31, 2015

3.5

Communications Creative - Executive Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell (Los Angeles, CA) in September 2012.

Interview

Much has been documented about Shell's grueliing interview process, and the taste I got seemed to verify everything I'd heard. Submitted an application online through the employee referral system, and received an email within a few weeks with a number of questions, then a follow up email to set up a phone interview. To my surprise, the phone interview was with the hiring manager from overseas (I would have thought there would be a phone screening prior to connecting directly with the hiring manager). The interview was thorough, lasting over 40 minutes, and the interviewer was polite but intense. The process was described to me, and the typical questions (Why do you want to work for Shell? Why should we hire you over the next guy?) were asked. There were also practical and behavioral questions, and questions about how I saw myself fitting in with - or more specifically coping with - the Shell culture in the context of this newly created position. I felt the interview went well, though the interviewer gave no indication one way or the other.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with being in an unpopular position and getting buy-in from Shell business executives who dont see the value of what you are doing?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in State College, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell (State College, PA) in September 2012.

Interview

Applied online through the New Graduate application. Got an email about 1 week later to set up an interview on campus. Interview: Lasted a total of 1.5 hours. They really don't look through the resume nor the transcript. Asking a series of situation based questions and your actions. They will then ask you to choose a situation out of 4 where you are a CEO then they ask a series of questions based on that. It is a long process and none of the questions are easy. I am Civil Engineer and no idea on any of the 4. Thus, I chose a business one but it was very complicated. The interviewer was really nice and tried to make things comfortable.

Interview Questions

• Pretend you are a CEO of a multi-national company, how do you motivate people?   1 Answer

Environmental Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell (New Orleans, LA) in September 2011.

Interview

First I had a phone interview. A few weeks later I got invited to Shell Recruitment Day. This consisted of a technical interview (that you have to prepare for before hand) a case study (long) - read fast, and a group discussion with the other interviewees (this is to look at your ability to work in a group). Overall a long day, but the people were really nice and very forthcoming about what would be involved in the interview. Very organized process.

Interview Questions

• For the phone interview (1st round) - What is an achaivement you are proud of?   Answer Question
    • How should shell allocate money to give to charity groups.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Didn't negotiate...offfer greatly exceeded by expectations.

Geologist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell (Chicago, IL) in September 2011.

Interview

I had one in person interview on campus. The questions focused on "STAR" interview technique, that is, wanted stories that focused on what you contributed and what the outcome was. The interviewer had a very specific score sheet to grade my answers and note down what I said. After the interview, I was invited to an 8 hr interview in Houston with 8 candidates and 8 interviewers. It had a series of activities, some in groups, most by myself. I never saw the results or the criteria, but I was offered the position.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did not negotiate. All new grads are given the same offer. I've never met one who successfully negotiated an increase in salary.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cottonwood, AZ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell (Cottonwood, AZ) in August 2011.

Interview

I only had two interviews. One with the store manager and then the district supervisor. Both lasted approximately five minutes each. They asked if I had any physical limitations, tattoos, cash handling experience and customer service experience.

Geologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell (Houston, TX) in August 2011.

Interview

In the 1st round interview the interviewer asked me for a copy of my resume. Throughout the interview they asked me the following questions: Can you tell me about a recent achievement or accomplishment you are proud of? What steps did you take to reach this accomplishment? Tell me about a time when you worked on a project with a team? Did you face a difference of opinions while working with this team?

Interview Questions

• Explain a time in which you demonstrated leadership behavior while working with a group of people, and how did the group of people respond to your leadership behaviors?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell (Houston, TX) in April 2011.

Interview

Had 2 face-to-face interviews one with the functional manager and another one with the project lead. The company really try to assess if you are culturally a fit with their organization. Lots of behavioral type questions and a couple of technical questions about past projects.

Interview Questions

• Why Shell? Tell me about a time you faced a challenge in a project and what was the outcome? What motivates you? Why Business Analysis? How do you handle a difficult stakeholder?   Answer Question

Negotiation

The whole process took nearly 3 months, things moved slowly. However received an offer letter in the mail within 4 weeks from interview.

Field Based Area Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell (Houston, TX) in February 2011.

Interview

Long time to respond, probably due to number of on-line applicants.

Interview Questions

• How did you demonstrate......( name a good work trait in the past jobs you held)   1 Answer

Negotiation

Easy. They pay fair.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell (Ann Arbor, MI) in September 2010.

Interview

I applied online and was offered an interview when shell came to recruit on campus. Half of the interview consisted of behavioral questions. The other half you chose topics such as research and development. You pretended you owned a company and you answered question relating to the topic. I would say they have an amazing management structure since it is less Hierarchal than other companies. Be able to analyze your problem solving skills, communication skills, and leadership skills, based on your experiences.

Natural Gas Trader Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell (Houston, TX) in July 2010.

Interview

Shell has a difficult interview process if you go through the normal HR channels. However, once within Shell it is somewhat easy to transfer from one role to the next using their MOR (managed open resources). That is what I used to land the role I am currently in. The interview process was informal. I met with a colleague that was hiring for the position and discussed my interest in the position and how I thought I could contribute. He already knew me as we had worked together before. After vetting a couple other internal candidates, I was chosen to fill the vacancy.

Interview Questions

• As mentioned above, it was a very informal interview. It was mostly just a chat about how I could fit in. There were no really difficult questions that I can remember.   Answer Question