Royal Dutch Shell

Updated Jan 30, 2015

3.5

Division Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in August 2008.

The interview was non-threatening, genuinely interested in getting to know my skills set, but extremely thorough. Questions cut through the prepared responses, and dug deep to get an accurate understanding of previous experience and job skills. Several 1-1 interviews, phone interviews, and a panel interview, with lunch and dinner discussions. The employees were well rounded, with little specializations, and positive attitudes. Very much focused on results through team work, with a culture of health and safety of the employees.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you think you are right for this position? What do you offer that another candidate can't?   Answer Question
    • Case: You manage a major manufacturer of children's toys. One of the toys recently caused the death of a child, and the press is spinning the story all over the media. What should you do?   View Answer
    Disappointed with the compensation package, with no negotiations. Pay is based on 'job grade', and they start employees out at low end of the range to provide room for growth. Window for job grade promotion is 2 year minimum. Very focused on developing employees from within, giving a variety of career experience.

Geophysicist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in January 2007.

Central HR that is responsible for campus recruitment came across as very professional. Unfortunately, I assumed that the local HR will be same.

Interview Questions
    Tried unsuccessfully (all other offers very lower).

Expatriate Transfer Advison - Human Resources Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

I applied online and received a Phone interview (about 30 min) 1 week later .
    Than, i received a face to face interview invitations 1 day later after phone interview.
    The face to face interview are scheduled 2 weeks later from the call of invitation.

Great experiences on the interviews.
    The outcome usually come 1 day after the interviews (very quick)

Interview Questions
    • * Tell me something about your self.
         * What did you most enjoy on your current job
         * Tell me about a time when you feel under pressure? how did you overcome it ?
         * What have you done to know more about shell ?
         * What is the most difficult decision you have made in life?

Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

3 Online Exams, Interview with Line Manager, then Offer. No unexpected questions. Interview was only 1 hour long. Since it was an internship, a lot of the questions involved the relation of my college course to the internship program that I was taking.

Process Engineer Interview

Very hectic .Resume shortlisting , two psychometric rounds were conducted, one analytical round ,followed by telephonic interview, group discussion, self reflectory interview, HR interview.Impossible to predict what the recruiters are looking for.

SRD: Graduate Position Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

I was being interviewed for a fresh graduate entry position post my PhD. The whole experience was fun and I was decently confident about the experience but they did not provide any reasons for not selecting in the end, which was a bit inappropriate.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult session was the e-tray exercise majorly because of the time restriction   Answer Question

AssessedSingapore Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in January 2015.

The hiring process comprises a series of online assessments followed by a face-to-face interview at Shell's office. The interview is very structured, with the interviewer asking questions and writing down your answers, using a recruitment form with a question on each page. This internship interview only sought to assess the Achievement and Relationships components of the CAR framework they have. I think it would be very beneficial for you to practise answering questions using the STAR approach, as if your answer does not cover everything they seek to ask in the form, they will ask you more follow-up questions which would kind of indicate that your response was insufficient.

Interview Questions
    • Why did you choose Shell, given your interest in the energy industry?   Answer Question

GRADUATE POSITION Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

Apply online, then you go through a series of competency and skills based ( numerical) online tests. Next comes the phone interview stage. Finally if you succeed at this stage, you get called for the SRD which is the final stage in the recruitment process.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you allowed other people's decision to influence yours. What challenges did you face and how did you overcome them   Answer Question

Shell CS PhD Program Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

Stages:
    1. Online test: aptitude, personality questions
    2. Telephonic Interview: personality questions
    3. Typical Shell Recruitment Day: Etray test, Self reflection interview, case study, group discussion

As I applied for a technical role. They focus mainly on the personality side throughout the process. All in all SRD proved to be a long day of scrutiny of one's personality. Although long but enjoyable as you would end up having healthy interaction with fellow SRD candidates and making new friends.

Interview Questions
    • Different Life examples. "A situation where you worked in group and faced conflict"   Answer Question

File Clerk Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

The interview process was fairly easy, the expectations were not unreasonable. I was able to get an interview right away with no delay. The hiring person was clear on expectations and the people were easy to work with.