Royal Dutch Shell Interview Questions

Updated Aug 31, 2015

3.5

Graduate Programmer Interview Interview

Interview

It lasted for about 1 hour 15 minutes. It was mainly a competency based interview, asking questions on how you would handle a varying number of situations based on their CAR criteria. There were also questions about motivation to join Shell and what Shell stands to benefit. The interviewer was friendly and tried to make the process as relaxed as possible.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time when you had to deal with an unfamiliar tasks Give an example of a time you had to build relationships to achieve a goal   Answer Question

Graduate Program Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

Interview

Started with online assessment (personality aptitude test) then numerical test. You need to finish it within the time limit. I think there are 12 numerical questions in 16 minutes. Then, I was offered an on campus interview back in the US but sadly Shell Us does not hire international students so I then accepted to SRD Malaysia.

Interview Questions

• Why do you choose shell? Tell me about yourself? Most questions are based on your answers so it depends.   Answer Question

Commercial Graduate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cyberjaya (Malaysia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell (Cyberjaya (Malaysia)) in June 2015.

Interview

Online application, online tests (numerical, verbal, workplace fit), telephone interview, recruitment day (assessment centre) Online tests were straightforward, not too difficult. Telephone interview was stressful because it was an hour and 15 minutes of in-depth probing around their competency requirements, especially Relationship and Achievement. For each competency question they ask, expect further questions on your answer as you go through your story. They also liked to ask about what you have learned. Finished up with some questions about the areas you would be interested to join. Heard back in 1 week. The recruitment day was a long day and a half. The interview was similar to the telephone interview. The tasks they used during the assessment focused much more on the Capacity competency (analytical thinking, depth and breadth of thinking, strategic and creative ideas). Heard back in 1 week.

Graduate Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in The Hague (Netherlands)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell (The Hague (Netherlands)) in May 2015.

Interview

After the first online stage, the telephone interview was very friendly. It consists of three parts where two are assesed. First Situations that show you posses their CAR criteria. Second Your motivation and what you bring to the table for Shell and third your own questions. The interview was done by a very friendly process engineer who told me he does these interviews once a month. There very clear on what they expect of you and when they progress to the next stage. All in all it was pleasant interview

Interview Questions

• Name a situation when you had to change your approach.   1 Answer

Graduate Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cape Town (South Africa)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell (Cape Town (South Africa)) in May 2015.

Interview

Everything from online test to the phone interview took less than a month. The interviewer was nice and he explained everything before starting with the interview. I was relaxed and the interview was 45 minutes long

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to change your plan because other people didn't agree with it   Answer Question

Graduate Programmer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell (Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied for the position through Shell online career page and I did an online assessment test. About a month later I received an invitation to do a face to face interview. It was a one to one interview session. The flow of interview was explain clearly by the interviewer. The interviewer asked a series of prepared questions to test your skill sets in different area. The whole process took about 1 and a half hour.

Interview Questions

• Talk about one of your best achievement so far.   Answer Question
    • Have you ever came across situations where you have to adapt your communication style to achieve certain goals? Give examples of the situations and the outcome.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

Interview

Submit CV, complete online application, receive emails to take online assessments. Completed both assessments, currently waiting for reply. Most questions were easy to tackle except the mathematical part. Stay calm and calculate, does not have to complete all 16 questions in 18 minutes.

Graduate Interview

Interview

It was a face to face interview in shell office. You will be placed in a room with interviewer. It was a grueling 45 minutes interview session. Many probing questions and you have to be well prepared. The interviewer will ask questions based on CAR criteria.

Graduate Engineer Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miri (Malaysia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell (Miri (Malaysia)) in April 2015.

Interview

- Structured - Fast paced (?) - due to the time constraints for each process - Informative - they have this business sharing session where they share what they do on a daily basis in Shell to the candidates so the candidates understand better what is in stored for them.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work with Shell?   1 Answer

IT Grad Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

Interview

Just had my 2nd round in the application process for IT graduate. 1st round was online application with CV and motivation letter, and later some online tests. I am not sure if the letter and CV is actually reviewed. Maybe they will use it at a later stage but it did not come up at the interview. Interview itself was rather stressful, difficult questions about past experience. Little to know feedback and many interruptions during the interview, not feeling too sure about passing this round. Person you have the interview with does not make the decision, answers are put into some kind of matrix and is then reviewed by someone else. Now wait for two weeks.