Royal Dutch Shell Interview Questions

Updated Jul 2, 2015

3.5

Graduate Interview

Interview

It was a face to face interview in shell office. You will be placed in a room with interviewer. It was a grueling 45 minutes interview session. Many probing questions and you have to be well prepared. The interviewer will ask questions based on CAR criteria.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

Interview

Submit CV, complete online application, receive emails to take online assessments. Completed both assessments, currently waiting for reply. Most questions were easy to tackle except the mathematical part. Stay calm and calculate, does not have to complete all 16 questions in 18 minutes.

Graduate Engineer Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miri (Malaysia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell (Miri (Malaysia)) in April 2015.

Interview

- Structured
    - Fast paced (?) - due to the time constraints for each process
    - Informative - they have this business sharing session where they share what they do on a daily basis in Shell to the candidates so the candidates understand better what is in stored for them.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work with Shell?   1 Answer

IT Grad Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

Interview

Just had my 2nd round in the application process for IT graduate. 1st round was online application with CV and motivation letter, and later some online tests. I am not sure if the letter and CV is actually reviewed. Maybe they will use it at a later stage but it did not come up at the interview. Interview itself was rather stressful, difficult questions about past experience. Little to know feedback and many interruptions during the interview, not feeling too sure about passing this round. Person you have the interview with does not make the decision, answers are put into some kind of matrix and is then reviewed by someone else. Now wait for two weeks.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

Interview

Telecon as first screening stage to check on candidate ability to articulate and technical competence.

If passed, a full blown 3-stages interview will take place.
    1. Leadership Potential Assessment
    2. Professional Presentation
    3. Structured Interview

It was my toughest interview sessions I need to go through to secure a job.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chennai (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell (Chennai (India)) in March 2015.

Interview

Interview is based on behavioral questions. Interviewer is friendly, He first introduced himself and asked me to tell about myself. He told me that he will be noting some points while i am answering the questions and let that not distract me or offend me as he won't be looking at me much time. He asked me questions like tell me an instant where you did this, that... And he asked two to three follow up questions based on what i have told. Questions are aimed at seeing how well i fit for their CAR (Capacity, Achievement, Relationship) criteria. And in the end he asked me if i have any questions for him.

Interview Questions

• Tell me an instance where you have to make yourself more disciplined in order to achieve a goal?   Answer Question

Graduate Engineer Interview

Interview

I submitted the application online and shortly after the submission, I received the email to do the online test. The test mainly consists of two parts: decision making and numerical test. One week later I was invited to the interview. Very standardized behavior questions, such as:
        Give me an example when you need to exercise discipline to achieve a goal.
        Give me an example when you need to work together with foreigners in a group.
        Give me an example when you find very stressed and how do you deal with the pressure.
        etc.
    Plus, some motivation questions, like why oil and gas industry, why shell, why this role (I applied for engineer role) were covered as well. Waiting for the update now...

Interview Questions

• I would say that the questions themselves are quite typical and standardized. But to give good examples to illustrate is nothing easy. So be prepared.   Answer Question

Human Resources Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cyberjaya (Malaysia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell (Cyberjaya (Malaysia)) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied online. A week later I got a received a phone interview. The phone interview was quite short. Some of the questions asked were, "Was there a time you experience conflict and how did you handle it?" and "Describe a situation where you displayed a leadership role." On the very same day after I completed the phone interview, I was sent an invitation to Shell Recruitment Day.

During the recruitment day, I was asked to complete several written assessments including an English test and a scenario question. We were supposed to give a five minute presentation on the scenario question but did not due to the lack of time as there were so many candidates. After completing the assessments, I was called for a two-panel interview.

Interview Questions

• I am a fresh graduate, so the questions that were asked were in regards of my extracurricular activities and coursework. I am not sure is it because the job position I applied for was regarding HR but most of the questions were about how I handled conflict with other people, how I handled stress and how I juggled my time to multitask several assignments at the same time.

There were quite a number of follow up questions as they seemed to want to know all the details when I gave my answers. The questions were not difficult though as I just had to relay to them what I did in university and how I handled any stress, conflict and assignments. They also asked me how I gathered and interpreted data when conducting research for assignments.

Answer Question

Negotiation

The salary package is already fixed so there was no negotiation.

Assessed Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied online, completed online assessments (standard stuff). And then telephone interview as last stage. I found that the interviewer was just following a script. I would explain in detail my example (STAR Method) and then he would ask a question that I pretty well covered, so I ended up repeating myself a lot.

Interview Questions

• Why the energy sector? Why shell? A time when you were driven to get something finished?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in The Hague (Netherlands)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell (The Hague (Netherlands)) in February 2015.

Interview

Online assessment and phone interview:
    Online assessment includes a whole set of behavior questions, not very difficult.
    Phone interview was an hour long, most questions are competency-based questions, mainly based on the CARS criteria listed on Shell's website. Not too difficult, but they will still catch you off guarded for some questions. In the end, you will be asked why you want to work for Shell or the energy industry in general, and there will be about 5 minutes when you can ask the recruiter questions.
    The downside of the recruiting process is that you can't apply for a specific role up front. They will determine which function you fit in after the interview.