Royal Dutch Shell

Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Difficult Interview

Graduate Program Interview

The Hague (Netherlands)

I interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in September 2013.

Interview Details – Interview at The Hague head quarters and an assessment day in London.

Interview Question – What are you bringing to the company?   Answer Question

Procurement Manager Interview

Procurement Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in January 2011.

Interview Details – one on one structured interview based on written format. Interviewers follow set questions and case studies.

Interview Question – case studies putting pressure on you.   Answer Question

Graduate Petroleum Engineering Interview

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

Interview Details – applied on SHELL website and then did the online assessments which i passed then offered a phone interview.

Interview Question – Basically it is what i can summarized for the Shell phone interview:

a) First part
They asked about
- your job preferences.

(Check the info you filled in application form)

b) Second part

Criteria: Achievement
Elaborate one of your project or one accomplishment you are proud of:
- Position / responsibility you hold
- Contribution in team
- Problems / Challenges faced in achieving it?
- How you solved the problems?
- How other people view your accomplishments?
- Involved in decision making?
- Situation when you had a difference of opinion with someone else.
- How did you resolve it?
- A situation where you had to communicate with different types of people.

Criteria: Relationship
- Have you ever had a situation where you had a misunderstanding with someone?
- How did you solve it? What are your strategies?
- Tell me a situation you have to speak to different people of different ranks.How do you speak to different types of people. What are your techniques?

c) Third part

Criteria: Capacity
Imagine you're in a multinational corporation similar like shell. Discuss on one of the given topics so that your actions would be able to impact the organization.

Topics:
-CO2 emission
-R&D
-Changing percentage of male and female students in universities
-The use of internet in business environment
-High quality graduate for the employment market
-Recruiting and retaining talented individual
-Education institutions and their role to prepare students for employment.

Questions to be asked:
- What do you understand from the topic?
- How, with the course that you want to take would enable you to contribute to this company through this topic?
- What are the strength and weakness of the topic?
ture?
- What would be the challenges faced by the company?
  Answer Question

Graduate Programmer Interview

Cape Town (South Africa)

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in January 2014.

Interview Details – I applied for the Shell Graduate Programme online with a view to working in Commercial- Finance. The online application and psychometric assessments were quite easy but it is advised to practice online first. I was then called for an interview a month later. The interview was quite intense, about 1.5 hrs long, and the questions were mainly trying to assess who you are and how competent you are with working with others. Be sure to have enough examples of past group work experiences to talk about. I didn't think I did too well but 6 weeks later I got invited to the SRD. The SRD is quite intense to be honest but it is a great experience. The day before is a intro session and then a dinner with new employees. The next day is the main day and there is basically 5 stages from 8-4pm as follows: Online email response exercise, reflection interview, group assessment, case study presentation and a competency based interview. Be sure to remember the CAR criteria at all times and make sure you are confident and full of energy. I was told 2 days later that I passed the SRD and I am now waiting hopefully for an offer.

Interview Question – The competancy based questions were quite intense, they ask you alot of questions of past experiences of working as part of a team and also how you dealt with a difficult person in your team and how you handle multiple tasks.   Answer Question

Assessed Internship Interview

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in December 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online. First step is to upload your CV and additional personal information. The second step involves completing 2 different online tests. One to determine your critical thinking, the second to determine your mathematical skills. Successfully passing this stage, you will be invited for a phone interview or face-face interview. I had a phone interview which was scheduled one month in advance. The interview lasted 1-1.5 hours. I heard the outcome of the interview 5 weeks later. This was longer than expected, as the interviewer informed me it would take only 5 working days.

Interview Question – Give an time when someone challenged your decision.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation on the type of internship (junior, non assessed, assessed), location and discipline.

Process Engineer Interview

Process Engineer
Mumbai (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in December 2013.

Interview Details – The recruitment process of Shell in India is a lengthy one. It starts with a online psychometric test which is an elimination round. You need to clear this test in order to get through to the next round. Once you clear this round, you appear for a Decision-making test where you are given situations and you need to select the most appropriate response according to you. This is followed by a simple Aptitude test.

Once you are done with it, you are assessed one the basis of scores on these tests, your resume/CV and the motivation to join the company. The shortlist or call for interviews come out in 3-4 days.

Since it was a campus recruitment, the initial procedure might vary a little. Once you are shortlisted for an interview, there are 3 more rounds.

1. Online case study - You are given a case related to a project that Shell is working on (hypothetically) and they face a lot of dilemmas and problems and as a Manager your duty is to solve them. The data given is too much and once needs to be read very quickly, in order to succeed.

2. Behavioral Interview - This interview is one of the most important steps in the selection procedure since it tries to see if you are a good fit for the company or not. Just like a typical interview, you are asked to cite examples from your life describing different problems or challenges.

3. Case Study Interview - You are again a given case which is related to the first round but here you need to understand the case and give a short presentation to the interviewers which is followed by a QnA round.

Interview Question – Cite an example or a situation where you have built relationships?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was a campus recruitment and hence there was no scope of negotiation.

Intern Interview

Intern
Lagos (Nigeria)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

Interview Details – Contacted a connection in the company to aid with acquiring the inter position.

Interview Question – Did not have to interview.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – N/A

Graduate Engineer Interview

Graduate Engineer
Cyberjaya (Malaysia)

I applied online and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in November 2013.

Interview Details – everything was started from online application, then online assessment. Online assessment was tough especially the problem solving part where you will be timed. The questions are most basic calculations but the time frame are very short. I was successful and then the hr personally emailed me for face to face interview. mine was lady interviewer. She was warm and humble. Basically they will focus on your achievements,relationship and capability. now here is the most important part. even if you have never experience any achievement or difficulty in relationship, just try cooked up something. they want to see how you have react to the situations. For me she never give me any situations but she ask have you had any trouble getting work done when working in a group. I said no because I have never experienced one. I think that's where I screwed up. try recall back your achievements and the struggle you had to endure to achieve it. you can exaggerate it but do it confidently.

Interview Question – what is the bad attitude/thing in you that you want to change and did you successfully changed yourself?   View Answer

Internship Interview

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

Interview Details – Applied internship through web application. A lot of question throughout applying intern online.

Interview Question – Fail at the first challenge which is the personality test. It is an online test after submitted the online application. The test consist of a lot of questions.   Answer Question

Summer Intern Interview

Interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell

Interview Details – Questions based around Capacity Achievement Relationship. Nothing very complicated

Interview Question – An example of a situation where there were diverging opinions   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Royal Dutch Shell