Royal Dutch Shell

Relevance Date Difficulty

Summer Interview

Summer
The Hague (Netherlands)

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in March 2014.

Interview Details – Submitted an online application and got an invitation to do an online assessment, which consisted of 2 parts: (1) competency-based and (2) decision-making and a problem-solving. You have to complete the first one successfully in order to be invited to do the second. I got an email saying I passed and an interview date is to be scheduled.
After almost two months, I finally got a date and had a face-to-face interview with a manager.

Interview Question – Questions were typical competence-based questions: example of teamwork, example of leadership, etc. He took notes on practically everything I said and rarely made any eye contact. He said that the HRs would take the decision based on his notes, which I found strange and a bit rude. Overall, the interview was not bad, but I've had much more pleasant ones. Make sure to have plenty of examples, even 3-4 for the same competence.   Answer Question

Summer Internship Interview

Summer Internship
Singapore (Singapore)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in December 2011.

Interview Details – I would say it is easy to do well for the behavioural questions if you had practised enough and are aware of Shell's C.A.R.T criteria. What I found the most difficult about the interview were the questions that tested on one's thinking skills. He gave me 4 discussion topics (environmental hazards, business competitors, leadership development, carbon dioxide emission) to choose from, and you would have to solve the problem at a high level. I liked that he mentioned how Shell doesn't want to test on one's knowledge because "that wouldn't be fair", but rather, Shell is interested in seeing the candidate's thinking process instead. He encouraged one to think through the answers carefully and not be pressurised into giving a quick answer.

The interviewer was very kind and forthright in answering my questions. He said the people at Shell Singapore are "intrinsically honest" -- not just the department alone, but the entire Singapore office. He mentioned that the people working there are very smart, and that it will be hard to stand out unless you are extremely outstanding. There will be no chance of rotation among the different departments if what you are applying for is a summer internship.

When speaking to the HR person to discuss the internship issues (after i was given the offer), I found the woman very friendly, helpful and flexible. This gave me a very good impression of the people and culture in Shell.

Interview Question – Discuss one of the given four topics.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The project that I was given were not to my preference.

Summer Internship Interview

Summer Internship

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in November 2011.

Interview Details – Basically the interviewer asked about the generic questions, she's a nice person to speak with.

Interview Question – State an example when you resolve a dispute in a team setup.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Royal Dutch Shell

Worked for Royal Dutch Shell? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Royal Dutch Shell Summer Internship interview questions and advice. All 3 interview reviews posted anonymously by Royal Dutch Shell employees and interview candidates.