Royal Mail

Updated Jul 15, 2014
Updated Jul 15, 2014

2.1

IT Service Manager Chesterfield Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Royal Mail.

Applied for a number of IT roles online and heard nothing back. Eventually got a call about one of the roles and did a telephone interview/cv run through. Did some online assessments which didnt seem to go well. No feedback forthcoming though. However got invited for second interview which went well. Next day got invited to a second interview/chat. That was 5 weeks ago and Ive heard nothing since..... really unprofessional and unkind not letting interviewees know the outcome. I sacrificed 2 precious annual leave days not to mention travel expenses. Really poor conduct on behalf of RM. Judging by their lack of quality standards in HR Ive probably had a lucky escape!

Postman Interview

Letter Shoring test

Casual Christamas Parcel Sorter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tamworth, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tamworth, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at Royal Mail.

Recieved an E-mail asking me to book an interview time and giving information on what was needed for the interview.

Interview was one on one, in a big room with other people and interviewers doing the same thing. Basicly if you turned up with all the things mentioned in the email you were given the job.

Casual Christmas Parcel Sorter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hounslow, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hounslow, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Royal Mail in November 2012.

I was informed of the role through a family member. I applied online and the application was basic with details of my past education and work experience. There were no real difficult questions but it is important to be completely honest about your past as they may ask questions during the induction interview to trip you up. A month after submitting my application, I was called in for an interview. I was required to fill in various pieces of paperwork prior to arrival including the signing of permission to do a criminal records check and acknowledgement of the terms of employment. Upon arrival at the interview, it was clear that they were hiring a substantial amount of casuals as the queue outside the interview room was 20 people long. First you had to pass a documents checker who ensured you had all the relevant documents on your pre-interview checklist. Many were sent home as they forgot a photocopy of the front and back of their passports. Them there were 5 interviewers conducting the interviews which weren't traditional interviews. They lasted around 5 minutes and were focussed on ensuring the candidate was aware of their potential role (subject to change) and what to expect on their first day. I was accepted and sent to the next room to sign a contract. I started 2 weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • I would genuinely say there were no difficult questions for this job role   Answer Question
    No negotiation for the casual role

Procurement Manager Interview

Got the interview lined up through recruitment agent. First step was a face to face agency interview to go through my CV and background, followed by some online test (routine stuffs like verbal and numerical tests). Finally invited to a whole day assessment center consisting 2 written tests and group interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Written test - asked to produce a prioritisation of tasks for the procurement funtion   Answer Question

Mail Sorter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Royal Mail in December 2011.

Applied online and got a reply 2 months after for a interview. The interview was mainly checking my info and details were correct and was offered the position that day to start work 2 days later

No negotiation

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Royal Mail in September 2011.

Was initially contacted via Linkedin , the 2 round telephone interview and then a face to face
    The process is quite straight forward but decision making takes a long time.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult all competency based questions really   Answer Question
    Negotiate hard and you will probably get it as this is your opportunity and once you are in you don;t get any real increment anyway

Postman Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peterborough, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Royal Mail in May 2010.

Slow process, mostly online tests and applications, once you have been short listed after about a month you will be invited into the office you chose in the application for an interview with the delivery office manager, just show your committed and have a quick walking pace and attention to detail and you'll be fine, it is then the decision of that manager and HR who then decide to employ you or not, always best to know someone who works there as that helps as royal mail is family orientated.

Non negotiable over 150,000 work for the company so you cant be different

Line Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Royal Mail in April 2010.

Assessment centre with 2interviews based on leadership questions . Presentation on material given and role play . 2 One hour interviews skills test and verbal written work. Expect to supply right to work documents photo Passport bank details and general work life history for past five years

Graduate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Royal Mail in November 2009.

The interview lasted about 30 mins and was quite intense. Asked lots of compentancy based questions such as can you tell me when you have been part of a team. Can you tell me why you have chosen this particular programme. Can you tell me of any past leadership roles. Can you tell me about a time when you have had to meet a strict deadline. Can you tell me about past experience which relates to the role you have applied for. They lady who interviewed me was very pleasent. Be prepared for quite alot of silences on the phone - I know they can be a little unnerving, but they are typing in all the information which you are giving them. Good luck.

Interview Questions
    • Why have you chosen this particular programme?   View Answer