Royal Mail

Updated Feb 25, 2015

2.3

Office Delivery Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Royal Mail.

Very lengthy from application sent to the eventual interview and it was postponed twice. Not impressive for the private sector and unsustainable as applicants will simply give up or find another job in the interim. A manager was brought down from London just as an invigilator for the day which seemed a waste of time and money to me. The two interviewers seemed unprofessional and one lost his cool with me when I asked a question about the culture at the depot. The other who was slightly better but was unable to answer a simple question. Neither should have been interviewing people for jobs. Had I been offered a job I would have turned it down. And don't start me on the fact that I had to pay for my own tea. Sorry Royal Mail, your recruitment procedures are very outdated and your staff unprofessional. Despite the fact that I was promised feedback none was forthcoming even after a second request.

Interview Questions
    • A wide variety from two interviewers who were asking scripted questions. There was also a project scenario to study and a subsequent presentation to make. Further questions were then asked on the presentation. I was allowed to ask questions but the interviewers were unable to answer two questions to my satisfaction.   Answer Question

Postman Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Royal Mail in January 2015.

I set up an alert on the RMG website for my area which let me know of local job vacancies. When I applied I filled in an online application form and once submitted I was be sent two on-line assessment tests. I was informed by e-mail that I had passed these tests and was selected for interview and I book an on-line slot for the date and time. The interview itself was informal and lasted for just under an hour. The questions are fairly standard and work based scenario / situation tests. If driving is involved you will need to know basis daily vehicle checks. You need to provide photocopies and originals of the documentation requested. You will be informed within seven days if you have passed the interview stage. (This is where I am up too).

Interview Questions
    • I didn't know I was going to be asked about vehicle check so used my common sense as to the daily checks I would carry out on the vehicle. i.e. Tyre pressure, damage to the vehicle, oil and water levels.   View Answer

Royal Mail Christmas Casual Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Feltham, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Feltham, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Royal Mail in November 2014.

Honestly this wasn't really an interview.
    It was more about knowing whether I was eligible to work in the UK and so to get all my details.
    As long as you had all the required documents up to date there was no problem.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing much apart from telling a little about yourself.   Answer Question
    Not negotiable. I was offered £7/hour as everyone else.

IT Service Manager Chesterfield Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Royal Mail.

Applied for a number of IT roles online and heard nothing back. Eventually got a call about one of the roles and did a telephone interview/cv run through. Did some online assessments which didnt seem to go well. No feedback forthcoming though. However got invited for second interview which went well. Next day got invited to a second interview/chat. That was 5 weeks ago and Ive heard nothing since..... really unprofessional and unkind not letting interviewees know the outcome. I sacrificed 2 precious annual leave days not to mention travel expenses. Really poor conduct on behalf of RM. Judging by their lack of quality standards in HR Ive probably had a lucky escape!

Postman Interview

Letter Shoring test

Casual Christamas Parcel Sorter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tamworth, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tamworth, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at Royal Mail.

Recieved an E-mail asking me to book an interview time and giving information on what was needed for the interview.

Interview was one on one, in a big room with other people and interviewers doing the same thing. Basicly if you turned up with all the things mentioned in the email you were given the job.

Casual Christmas Parcel Sorter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hounslow, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hounslow, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Royal Mail in November 2012.

I was informed of the role through a family member. I applied online and the application was basic with details of my past education and work experience. There were no real difficult questions but it is important to be completely honest about your past as they may ask questions during the induction interview to trip you up. A month after submitting my application, I was called in for an interview. I was required to fill in various pieces of paperwork prior to arrival including the signing of permission to do a criminal records check and acknowledgement of the terms of employment. Upon arrival at the interview, it was clear that they were hiring a substantial amount of casuals as the queue outside the interview room was 20 people long. First you had to pass a documents checker who ensured you had all the relevant documents on your pre-interview checklist. Many were sent home as they forgot a photocopy of the front and back of their passports. Them there were 5 interviewers conducting the interviews which weren't traditional interviews. They lasted around 5 minutes and were focussed on ensuring the candidate was aware of their potential role (subject to change) and what to expect on their first day. I was accepted and sent to the next room to sign a contract. I started 2 weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • I would genuinely say there were no difficult questions for this job role   Answer Question
    No negotiation for the casual role

Procurement Manager Interview

Got the interview lined up through recruitment agent. First step was a face to face agency interview to go through my CV and background, followed by some online test (routine stuffs like verbal and numerical tests). Finally invited to a whole day assessment center consisting 2 written tests and group interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Written test - asked to produce a prioritisation of tasks for the procurement funtion   Answer Question

Mail Sorter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Royal Mail in December 2011.

Applied online and got a reply 2 months after for a interview. The interview was mainly checking my info and details were correct and was offered the position that day to start work 2 days later

No negotiation

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Royal Mail in September 2011.

Was initially contacted via Linkedin , the 2 round telephone interview and then a face to face
    The process is quite straight forward but decision making takes a long time.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult all competency based questions really   Answer Question
    Negotiate hard and you will probably get it as this is your opportunity and once you are in you don;t get any real increment anyway