Royall & Company

8 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Royall & Company in July 2014.

Interview Details – Two interviews with three people interviewing me. Both took about an hour. Very conversational. First interview had more questions but became very conversational. Not everyone in the panel seemed experienced or comfortable with interviewing people...which made it a little less intimidating. The fact that everyone was super friendly and chill helped me feel at ease and was part of the reason I accepted their offer.

Interview Question – What is the biggest misconception about you?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiated for more money and they couldn't bc my offer was the cap for that position. They gave me an extra week of vacation.

Data Analyst Interview

Data Analyst
Richmond, VA

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Royall & Company.

Interview Details – Initial contact is normally a brief phone screen with the company's only recruiter, Pat Kowalski. Expect to give a very basic and high-level explanation of your relevant work experience and for the conversation to last approximately 15 minutes. If the recruiter heard the key-words and experience she was looking for, your resume gets forwarded to the hiring manager. If they are interested, the recruiter will call you back to schedule a phone interview with 1-2 people. Because the position is client-facing, the phone interview is a key metric in determining whether you receive a follow-up in person. Your ability to navigate the conversation well and think on your feet and provide graceful, diplomatic answers to difficult questions will earn you an in-person interview next. The recruiter will schedule this with you and it will likely be on a Friday with all of the other candidates they are interviewing. You will not be the only person interviewed that day as they schedule them at the convenience of the department head and Friday afternoons are generally blocked off for several of these initial meetings back-to-back. This first in-person interview will likely be brief (20-60 minutes tops) and you will likely be given a skills assessment for SQL skills or JSON/Javascript/JQuery skills. Once they have a pool of people they want to call back for a 2nd interview, the recruiter will schedule you for a 3-6 hour follow-up where you will meet with several people across several departments. Each one of them is judging how fit you are to interact with clients. You will be given a case study where they describe a scenario involving the enrollment funnel in college admissions and you are asked to identify the problem and make recommendations. There is also a mock client conversation that takes place where you are asked to resolve a client's issue. The way you respond (helpful, specific about follow-up, apologetic, and not committing to a timeline for resolution) will dictate whether you are kept in consideration for the position. Promising candidates are toured through the Analyst area and introduced to a few people, future coworkers, and you will have met your future boss by this point. You established what kind of offer you will receive when you unwittingly provided the recruiter with your salary history and expectations on the first phone screen. When you are given an offer, you will be forced to accept it on that phone call. They will not counter or negotiate vacation days most likely. If you accept, they will courier your welcome packet to your house that day. It will contain your offer letter that you have to sign and return, some basic benefits information, and a token with the company logo. You will be asked to sign a very extensive non-compete and confidentiality statement. The recruiter will be aggressive at getting your start day to occur as soon as possible and will immediately prompt you to connect with them on LinkedIn. Your activity will be followed on LinkedIn. Salaries within the department vary by over $30,000 amongst the group of 20 people who perform the same work. A lot of this is attributable to the lack of professional work experience in 35% of the current team (recent college grads).

Interview Question – You will be asked to describe your biggest professional failure and how you dealt with it.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – You are asked for the salary at your current position at the phone screen phase. The answer you give will come back to you at the end of the process if you receive an offer. There is not much room to counter as they expect an immediate answer when you are given the offer on the phone. Because they interview several people at a time for this position (the most applied for position in the company), be sure that if you are receiving the call - you asked for the least amount of money amongst your competitors and if you turn down the position, they offer it to the next person on their list.

CDA Interview

CDA

Interviewed at Royall & Company

Interview Details – Went through three interview and had to travel a good distance for two of them. The interview process was average. The people were all very nice and welcoming. Then I tried contacting them and never was able to make contact again. I talked to several people that went through the exact same thing and felt the HR department may not be well organized although they come off as organized in person. The environment of the offices looked very nice. In the end probably for the best that I did not work with them. They have limited room for growth in the organization.

Interview Question – Case study that was not difficult but did feel a little over pressured by it.

Was asked "Explain a time you did something wrong and how did you fix it"?
  Answer Question

Direct Mail Copywriter Interview

Direct Mail Copywriter
Richmond, VA

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Royall & Company in January 2009.

Interview Details – From the very first communication, everyone was very friendly. I interviewed directly with the head of the department, and presented my portfolio. I was given a writing assignment, which was part of the interview process. I had several days to complete it. I was given the opportunity to speak with one of their current writers about the work, as well as one of the managers. I was made an offer over the phone by the HR department, which I then negotiated with.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – I had to ask about benefits - they never told me what they were. I had to ask after they made me an offer. That seemed backwards to me. I kept thinking that somewhere along the interview process someone was going to tell me what the benefits of working for the company were, but they never did! I thought the salary offer was low, but they didn't have much wiggle room.

Copywriter Interview

Copywriter
Glen Allen, VA

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Royall & Company in May 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process is very long at Royall, at least for copywriting positions. The recruiter warned me that it would be long, so at least I was warned. I was told it had to do with scheduling all of the various people involved, but who knows? The recruiter was excellent about staying in touch with me throughout the process, though, so that made it much more bearable. The first interview was a 1:1 with the department manager. Two weeks later, I interviewed with a team manager and two would-be coworkers. A week after that, I interviewed with a senior executive of the whole company. Two weeks later, I got the job offer.

Interview Question – What's your favorite movie?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I had been laid off prior to applying to the position, so I was in need of a job. By the time Royall called to offer me the job, I had already begun working somewhere else.

Team Associate Interview

Team Associate
Richmond, VA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Royall & Company in May 2010.

Interview Details – It is best to know someone within this company to actually land a job. I applied for this position more than once online and kept getting turned back. Finally I got in touch with a friend that worked there and she gave me a great reference. That saying "it's not what you know, it's who you know" stands true for Royall.

Interview Question – What do you know about Royall?   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate too much. I had more experience for the position than other candidates so luckily that played into my salary offer. It was within my range that I didn't feel the need to negotiate much more.

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

I applied in-person and interviewed at Royall & Company.

Interview Details – I first met a middle-aged female recruiter at a career fair. The lady was quite rude. The first thing she told me when she saw me was that they only hire Americans, the ironic thing is that I am an American and I also noted that on the top of my resume. However, I was patient, polite, and reiterated to her that I was an American(born and raised).

After being brushed off and disrespected like that, I was surprised to get an email from them saying that she was told by the technical recruiter(someone I had not met in person) to contact me back based on my resume.

Interview Question – They referred me to take a short online Java test.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – They asked me to attend an event in Richmond but I declined. I figured if their HR recruiter lady treated me like at our first meeting(prejudice, made assumptions solely due to my racial background) I may not enjoy working there.

Associate Strategic Analyst Interview

Associate Strategic Analyst

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Royall & Company in April 2012.

Interview Details – The pone interview didn't consist of crazy questions like, if you could be any animal what would you be and why? It only consisted of questions related to the business and the position I was applying for.

Interview Question – If you were going to market for this company how would you do it?   Answer Question

Worked for Royall & Company? Contribute to the Community!