Rubicon Project Interview Questions

Updated Jun 28, 2014

2.7

Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Playa Vista, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Rubicon Project in May 2014.

a) Met with recruiter
    b) Toured the office
    c) Talked about the culture
    d) Recruiter spent time during lunch trying to convince me Rubicon is equivalent to Google on your resume
    e) Met with interviewers that didn't know what was going on
    f) Met with managers that didn't ask good questions and had no idea what they were looking for

Interview Questions

Too much turn over. Obnoxious recruiter. Surge of inexperienced people being hired. Not impressed.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Playa Vista, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Rubicon Project in May 2014.

I had a pleasant experience interviewing with Rubicon Project(tRP). I got the call through a friend referral. All interviews were onsite. Travel was not reimbursed.

On the interview day, they have called all other intern candidates and we were given a presentation about the company, what they do, their culture and the co-founder and CTO addressed us.

To be honest, I hadn't know much about tRP before the interview and was expecting a very tough interview since it was a small-medium company. But on the contrary, the interviews were really simple. I discussed about my experiences, academic projects and was barely asked a few technical questions. I guess it might be because the company didn't a formal process for hiring interns. I was given the option to interview with more than 1 team. All the people I interviewed were very pleasant and highly technical; they knew what they were doing and answered my questions about the projects they worked on.

Interview Questions
    Non-negotiable, the HR guy was unyielding.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Rubicon Project in April 2014.

Interview preparation process was good - I was communicating with several of their recruiters, it was fast and effective.

At first I had one Skype video interview, which included general talk and some online coding. Nothing so hard, just a smoke test for a candidate.
    After that there was a full day of interviews on site (and they paid for the flight and hotel). The main interview left a positive impression - met many people, everybody was knowledgeable and positive. However, it was also exhausting - because it was not so easy to stay near a whiteboard and speak for about 7 hours. I'd recommend Rubicon to reduce the number of sessions during an interview.

Questions during the main interview were really different, depending on a session and a particular person I was speaking with. Areas included: system design, algorithm analysis, finding edge cases, recursion, data structures, knowledge of technology specifics, QA methods, etc.

After-interview process was not that smooth - answers to my emails were delayed, several phone calls not answered and not returned. Not so critically, though. I can easily explain that by the amount of people Rubicon is hiring currently, so I'm sure the HRs are pretty overloaded.

Overall I liked what I saw there - company, culture, people and the product. That's why I waited for Rubicon, while having two other job offers. Well, the job was worth it (but that's another story).

Software Engineer Intern Interview

The interview was not very hard. The interview process took the whole day, but it was very nice experience.
    They had "Intern's day" and provided free catered lunch. They also provided web-casting of the whole event.

Interview Questions
    • Interview questions were not technical questions but more focused on projects I worked on   Answer Question

Intern, Open Platform Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Playa Vista, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 days - interviewed at Rubicon Project in May 2014.

My resume was passed along to HR by a friend who works there. I was contacted in late April for an interview on Friday, May 2. The interview was an all day affair with about 25 potential interns most of whom were computer science majors, like myself. The basic schedule of the day was like this: arrive at 10 and take a tour of the facilities and then hear form current employees and even one of the co-founders. We were provided with a catered lunch, which was delicious and is free everyday to all employees! We then heard from the various mentors who were looking for interns and who we would be working under if we got the internship. We were then interviewed one on one.

I interviewed with Mac and Marcus, who were extremely friendly and provided me with a great interview experience. They started off by asking me what I would like to be working on said if I was selected they would try to tailor my internship around what I wanted to be learning. After I had finished the technical question and was talking to them, Mac gave me some really simple, but very helpful advice on how to make my programs run faster. I really appreciated that since it is something that I will be able to use anywhere. I heard back the following Thursday that I received the internship.

Interview Questions
    • Take an int such has 123 and produce a string in the format "100+20+3" Use any language   Answer Question

Associate Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Playa Vista, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Rubicon Project in October 2013.

I was contacted by a 3rd party recruiter and he sent in my information. This was followed by a skype interview with basic development questions (fizz/buzz). After several days I was brought in for a full day interview.

Interview Questions
    • Compress a parent-child node relationship and maintain hierarchy.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Rubicon Project in November 2013.

When first applied, HR was very prompt and courteous.

I was offered the position, but throughout the process, it took constant emailing of this HR contact. She probably was not paying attention and finally caught flak from higher management, wondering why the process stalled.

They themselves only asked this question after a month and a half from the last interview. I was so annoyed, when I received the offer, I didn't respond despite their constant follow-ups. Then I finally said I would not take the offer, so they had to restart the process all over again. With the company filing an S-1 getting ready to go public, they're going to have a fun time restarting this process while juggling that...

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult question was "Why Rubicon?"   View Answer

Because the interview process was a nightmare and was reflective of how management would operate, Hence, I headed for the hills and did not look back.

Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Rubicon Project.

The process was very easy. But, I think the QA Director who interviewed me over the phone does not have any clue what he is doing nor the project is. He himself does not know who is funding this project. I cannot believe that such an inexperienced guy is placed by companies like this as QA.He is neither Technical nor Managerial. It is better to say "No" to these companies at front than wasting our time.

Interview Questions
    • There is hardly any questions by him. He comes as prejudged wasting my time.   Answer Question

Management Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Rubicon Project.

I was a referral and the recruiter contacted me via email within two weeks of my resume submission. I found him to be unprofessional. He cut me off several times during the interview and when I reached out after I didn't hear back after a 1 1/2 week, he said they're evaluating candidates and will be in contact within next few days whether I am making it to next round. Unfortunately, days turn into weeks and still no response from them.

I get that the company, job, or me are not always going to be the right fit. But it would have been nice for the recruiter to follow through and at least have the professional courtesy to send a generic "thanks but no thanks" email especially if a candidate follows up.

Counsel Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Rubicon Project in March 2013.

Met with 5-6 people. A smart bunch. The CEO has celeb status but he's obviously a sharp guy. A very promising company that is still innovating. Going through some hyper-growth which is always difficult to manage.

Interview Questions

Worked for Rubicon Project? Contribute to the Community!