Rubicon Project

Updated Feb 18, 2015
Updated Feb 18, 2015

2.9

Product Marketing Role Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Rubicon Project.

Initial phone interview w/ hiring manager, then in-person interviews with core team members. Phone interview was very straightforward - probing on skills, background/experience after an initial run down of team and role from the hiring manager. In-person interviews with head of product, and 2 other team members that would interact with the position. All personnel were extremely professional and very impressive...very nice, down to earth/no ego issues, super smart and engaging. Took time to explain technical aspects of the role (important for those coming in without Ad Tech experience), very open to people of diverse backgrounds. Majority of interviews felt like really engaging conversations between interesting people talking about interesting stuff vs. traditional interviews...except for a few straight-out-of-bschool case type questions to 'see how you think' from one [more junior] interviewer (i.e. what is your favorite ad, how would you recommend a tv strategy for Rubicon and how would you go about evaluating the market opportunity of a teleportation device). Company HQ was also impressive - values/mission very apparent throughout, not just posted but clear that the org makes an effort to live/reinforce the value every day. Also as an aside, best driving directions/building & parkig info packet I have ever seen, which showcases company's attention to detail and customer orientation. Overall great experience, great company!

Interview Questions
    • how would you create a positioning statement for the google automatic car? (see above comments on case questions)   Answer Question

Feb 9, 2015Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your feedback! We appreciate your feedback and we're glad to hear you had a positive experience.

Specialist, Seller Accounts and Specialist, Platform Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Rubicon Project.

The interview process was very well organized and clear. Both of the receptionists were very nice and welcoming. I met with three different people in the departments that the positions I was applying for are in. All of them were very nice and enthusiastic about the company. The interviews felt more like a conversation than an interrogation. They asked me plenty of questions, but also gave me the opportunity to ask them plenty of questions.

Interview Questions
    • Not unexpected, but what is my greatest weakness. An expected question that I have trouble with sometimes.   View Answer

Feb 9, 2015Director, Talent Acquisition

Glad to hear you felt welcomed and that you had a positive experience. We strive to do our best and feedback helps keep us on the right track. Thank you!

Ad Ops Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Rubicon Project.

Discovered opportunity online and applied. There was an Initial phone interview followed by 5 in person interviews. Everyone was very nice and all were willing to answer questions that I had.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Rubicon Project in January 2015.

Teleconference and in person interviews with multiple engineers and managers. Had 4 different telephone/video chat interviews with technical questions as well as an onsite interview with multiple 1 on 1 meetings.

Interview Questions
    • General software engineering questions to determine general knowledge and skill.   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Playa Vista, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Rubicon Project.

My interview process was great from the initial contact right through to my last conversation. I met with employees from the HR & People team as well as the Technical teams. Everyone I met with was professional, engaging and personable. They all had great things to say about the company, were honest about what would be expected, were open about any previous issues that others have had in the role and they all left me feeling eager to be part of the company.

The recruiting team were very helpful, informative and friendly. They kept constant communication and provided me with all of the information I needed/requested.

Oct 30, 2014Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your feedback! We're glad to hear you had such a positive experience.

Data Scientist Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Rubicon Project in October 2014.

The interview process had three steps: phone and skype calls, homework, and an on-site interview. The homework was given after a skype call and it involved writing a piece of code for a problem in a language of your choice. The on-site interview took place in Playa Vista, CA. It started at 10:30am and finished at about 2:30pm. (I was given an option to schedule it such that it fits the first or second half of the day.) I spoke with five people for about 45 minutes with each. A typical interview session involved technical questions, coding problems, and a discussion about my experience and the role. Had a nice lunch. At the beginning and the end of the interview I was given a tour of the building where the company is located. The entire interview process was efficient, well-organized and enjoyable.

Oct 27, 2014Director, Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your feedback! Our team is very conscientious about candidate experience. Your input and the input of others helps us continue to refine what we do so that candidates can have experiences ... More

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Rubicon Project in October 2014.

I applied through their site and was contacted by Recruiter.

The first step was to complete a coding assignment.

Then I was asked for an onsite interview with five of their team members/managers.
    The questions were around the assignment I did, previous projects I worked on, technical and coding questions on white board.

Overall it was a nice experience.

The recruiter was very nice and she was very prompt to reply to questions/concerns.

Production Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Playa Vista, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Rubicon Project in September 2014.

I live in New York and was applying for a job in Playa Vista, CA. The interview process consisted of an initial Skype interview where the reporting manager asked about my current role and explained the role which I was interviewing for. After a successful Skype interview, Rubicon Project flew me over for an in-person interview with the direct manager, his supervisors and the Production Systems Engineer team.

The interview process took almost a full day. I was scheduled to sit with each person for approximately 45 mins. When I arrived I met with HR and was given a tour of the site and quick overview of the company. Everyone was very friendly and eased the interview process. Each person I met with asked about my previous experiences and technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • How to setup authentication and authorization for a specific page on a site?   Answer Question

Technical Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Playa Vista, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Rubicon Project in September 2014.

I applied online and was contacted by talent acquisition in a couple of weeks time. The interview process took about a month. Had a couple of pre-screening skype interviews with the hiring team, then was invited for day long in-person interviews with several VPs and Directors and from engineering and product management. The interview process was well-coordinated and structured in general and the interviews happened on-time. The HR and interviewers were casual and down to earth. At the end, the HR provided a tour of their office (cool studio like and creative floor).

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Rubicon Project in September 2014.

A recruiter from the company reached out to me, citing that my resume had been received through a recruiting service. I had a pleasant phone conversation with the recruiter, followed by a phone and onsite interview at the Seattle office with engineers and managers. Everyone was very friendly and relaxed, and generally seemed happy with their work at the company.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was particularly difficult, but I found some of the database design questions a bit tough, as it's an area I haven't worked much with. Overall, I thought the questions were at the right level...enough for me to show that I'm a competent programmer, but not overly difficult   Answer Question
    The company was initially planning to offer a salary for the job that was a fair amount lower than my existing salary. I had a candid discussion with them that I would evaluate the salary and benefits as one package, as my current company's benefits were different and less valuable than the ones they were offering. Eventually they came back with a salary that was very close to my current. They also allowed me to work from a different office than the one I interviewed at, as there is a strong cultural of distributed work teams at the company. So overall, I did not really have to negotiate much, and the process was pretty smooth on my end.