Rubicon Project Interview Questions

Updated Sep 2, 2015

2.9

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rubicon Project.

Interview

First came a remote technical interview( phone interview), asked questions about java and my knowledge on it. At the end of the remote technical interview had a very short programming questions. Next was an on-site interview, 4 rounds 45 minutes each. Asked algorithm questions, design questions, etc. The questions were very basic, since I was applying to an associate position. Had lunch there too.

Senior Java Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Rubicon Project in July 2015.

Interview

Applied via company website and got response after 2~3 week later for phone interview with hiring manager. Overall questions could be very easy, but all turned out very unclear, no where to go challenge, since requirements were not clear over the phone. The question better be online code challenge, so candidate can read requirement and design object or database model on screen during interview is watching. Also it looks the hiring manager are not sure about what skill set people to hire and what they want to achieve from hiring people, just repeat that they look for the person can work well with team.

Interview Questions

• Data structure design for TV show. This turns out database model design. and endlessly asking to find out what's in show (episode, actor, charactor... ) why just not give description and requirement to design relationship?   Answer Question
    • Find first non-repeating character in string. if the question given like such description, then much easier to realize, but actually keep giving unclear explanation with repeating A B C.. it maybe easier in onsite interview, but that is not good for phone interview unless giving clear description   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Rubicon Project (Los Angeles, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

The project manager approached me in Linkedin. When the project manager said they handle billions and even trillion of transactions that got my attention. I had one phone conversation with the manager, one hour skype interview and 4 hours on site interviews with 5 people. The interviewers were nice not intimidating hence helped me think clearly. When I got stuck in the interview, I could ask for some hint to the interviewers for some directions.

Sales Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Rubicon Project (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

I had a phone interview with HR, 2 video interviews, and 5 in person interviews with the team I'd be working with. All interviews took place within 2 weeks of the submittal of my resume so the turn around was very quick in comparison to other interview cycles I've experienced. Everyone was very professional and transparent throughout the interview process. The entire team was also very welcoming and friendly during this process. I would highly recommend them!

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   1 Answer
    • Can you please describe your previous work experience?   Answer Question

Manager, Internal Audit Interview

Anonymous Employee in Playa Vista, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Rubicon Project (Playa Vista, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

One phone screen with recruiter and three in person interviews. First interview was with hiring managers, second interview was with executive management and third was a follow-up with the hiring manager. The recruiting team was responsive when I had questions and helpful throughout the process.

Interview Questions

• Most interview questions were non-technical. Interviewers were trying to get a sense for fit, personality and working style. However, hiring manager in 3rd interview and one of the executive interviewers did ask technical questions looking for specifics.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiated in 3rd interview with hiring manager.

Desktop Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Rubicon Project (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

Everything was well planned and executed. The company accommodated for my tight schedule and was able to get me in on Friday afternoon of Memorial Day. The process itself was intimidating upon first glance but what interview isn't? My nerves calmed as soon as I walked in the door and met with the interviewer. The atmosphere at the NY office gave off a relaxing, mellow feel but you could tell everybody works hard. They administered an IT exam first, which asked a variety of questions taken from the A+, Network+ and ACMT exams. This took about 45 minutes to complete. After that, I was given two computers (PC and Mac) and assignments to do for each. Once that was completed, I had a video conference interview with two members of the team that were on the west coast. Both asked questions regarding my current job, what I could bring to the Rubicon table, and what's it like dealing with different personalities on the job. Overall, this was one of my better experiences in an interview. Everybody I spoke with was friendly and knowledgeable.

Interview Questions

• Which platform are you more comfortable with? Have you ever been yelled at on the job? How did you react?   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Rubicon Project (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

quick tour of the office, followed by two back to back interviews with the hiring managers, one in person and the other one over Skype. resume run through and case questions.

Sales Coordinator - Seller Cloud Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Playa Vista, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Rubicon Project (Playa Vista, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by their Talent Acquisition for an initial phone screen. It was more of a conversation than a phone interview about my resume, career path, interests etc. After, I was contacted by their Talent Coordinator for an in house interview with very detailed instructions to Rubicon Project HQ. The headquarters are absolutely exceptional. My experience from start to finish was wonderful. I was constantly asked if I needed anything to drink and if hungry, there is no shortage of snacks. I met with 4 individuals, my initial phone interviewer, a Project Manager, a Talent Coordinator, and a Director. All who were very welcoming and incredibly passionate about the company, which made me even more eager about the position. Through the interview, each individual took the time and effort to really get to know me and not just ask questions about my resume. That alone showed me how invested they are in both current and potential employees. The next step was to meet with a Director who had the ultimate say about the hiring process. Once again it was a wonderful experience. Despite that I was not offered the position, I am incredibly grateful to have made it that far in the process. The Rubicon Project takes their Cultural Values very seriously and it is apparent even in their interview process. I highly recommend.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Rubicon Project (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Interview process started with a recruiter getting in touch, understanding my skills, experience and fit for the position etc, then setting up a technical phone screen within the next couple weeks. Phone screen had a friendly interviewer who asked a couple of interesting algorithmic/coding problems, nothing too hard but not straightforward either (first one is simple, the next one builds on it etc). He encouraged me further down the correct path to reach the optimal solution. We then set up an on site interview in L.A. for a couple weeks later. The onsite was organized well, 'Bet' added a nice personal touch by writing a "Welcome xyz !" message on the whiteboard which was sweet ! I met with 5 people in all, including the co-founder & CIO (since this was for a small core team) who gave details about the company, culture, technical aspects of the job, etc & also asked more general & system design related questions. The first meeting with the CIO was followed by an engineer with further algorithmic/coding problems on whiteboard and a quick lunch, followed by the technical co-founder with system design questions, then another engineer with a coding problem (to be solved directly on his laptop) followed by a brief session with the HR. A total time of around 4 hours onsite & a pleasant experience with friendly, cool & talented folks.

Interview Questions

• Problems on the same lines of what you find in interview prep books like Cracking the Coding interview (I shuda solved a lot more stuff from there instead of skimming through chapters)   Answer Question

Culture Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Playa Vista, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Rubicon Project (Playa Vista, CA).

Interview

First interview was via phone. Very casual and basic, "tell me about yourself" type of call. Received next interview in office. Interviewed by three in office. Very nice people, everyone was open and welcoming. The interview was a successful experience.