Rubicon Project Interview Questions

Updated Oct 26, 2014

2.8

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Playa Vista, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Rubicon Project.

My interview process was great from the initial contact right through to my last conversation. I met with employees from the HR & People team as well as the Technical teams. Everyone I met with was professional, engaging and personable. They all had great things to say about the company, were honest about what would be expected, were open about any previous issues that others have had in the role and they all left me feeling eager to be part of the company.

The recruiting team were very helpful, informative and friendly. They kept constant communication and provided me with all of the information I needed/requested.

Oct 30, 2014Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your feedback! We're glad to hear you had such a positive experience.

Data Scientist Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Rubicon Project in October 2014.

The interview process had three steps: phone and skype calls, homework, and an on-site interview. The homework was given after a skype call and it involved writing a piece of code for a problem in a language of your choice. The on-site interview took place in Playa Vista, CA. It started at 10:30am and finished at about 2:30pm. (I was given an option to schedule it such that it fits the first or second half of the day.) I spoke with five people for about 45 minutes with each. A typical interview session involved technical questions, coding problems, and a discussion about my experience and the role. Had a nice lunch. At the beginning and the end of the interview I was given a tour of the building where the company is located. The entire interview process was efficient, well-organized and enjoyable.

Oct 27, 2014Director, Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your feedback! Our team is very conscientious about candidate experience. Your input and the input of others helps us continue to refine what we do so that candidates can have experiences ... More

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Rubicon Project in October 2014.

I applied through their site and was contacted by Recruiter.

The first step was to complete a coding assignment.

Then I was asked for an onsite interview with five of their team members/managers.
    The questions were around the assignment I did, previous projects I worked on, technical and coding questions on white board.

Overall it was a nice experience.

The recruiter was very nice and she was very prompt to reply to questions/concerns.

Technical Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Playa Vista, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Rubicon Project in September 2014.

I applied online and was contacted by talent acquisition in a couple of weeks time. The interview process took about a month. Had a couple of pre-screening skype interviews with the hiring team, then was invited for day long in-person interviews with several VPs and Directors and from engineering and product management. The interview process was well-coordinated and structured in general and the interviews happened on-time. The HR and interviewers were casual and down to earth. At the end, the HR provided a tour of their office (cool studio like and creative floor).

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Rubicon Project in September 2014.

A recruiter from the company reached out to me, citing that my resume had been received through a recruiting service. I had a pleasant phone conversation with the recruiter, followed by a phone and onsite interview at the Seattle office with engineers and managers. Everyone was very friendly and relaxed, and generally seemed happy with their work at the company.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was particularly difficult, but I found some of the database design questions a bit tough, as it's an area I haven't worked much with. Overall, I thought the questions were at the right level...enough for me to show that I'm a competent programmer, but not overly difficult   Answer Question
    The company was initially planning to offer a salary for the job that was a fair amount lower than my existing salary. I had a candid discussion with them that I would evaluate the salary and benefits as one package, as my current company's benefits were different and less valuable than the ones they were offering. Eventually they came back with a salary that was very close to my current. They also allowed me to work from a different office than the one I interviewed at, as there is a strong cultural of distributed work teams at the company. So overall, I did not really have to negotiate much, and the process was pretty smooth on my end.

Production Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Playa Vista, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Rubicon Project in September 2014.

I live in New York and was applying for a job in Playa Vista, CA. The interview process consisted of an initial Skype interview where the reporting manager asked about my current role and explained the role which I was interviewing for. After a successful Skype interview, Rubicon Project flew me over for an in-person interview with the direct manager, his supervisors and the Production Systems Engineer team.

The interview process took almost a full day. I was scheduled to sit with each person for approximately 45 mins. When I arrived I met with HR and was given a tour of the site and quick overview of the company. Everyone was very friendly and eased the interview process. Each person I met with asked about my previous experiences and technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • How to setup authentication and authorization for a specific page on a site?   Answer Question

Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Playa Vista, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Rubicon Project in May 2014.

a) Met with recruiter
    b) Toured the office
    c) Talked about the culture
    d) Recruiter spent time during lunch trying to convince me Rubicon is equivalent to Google on your resume
    e) Met with interviewers that didn't know what was going on
    f) Met with managers that didn't ask good questions and had no idea what they were looking for

Interview Questions

Too much turn over. Obnoxious recruiter. Surge of inexperienced people being hired. Not impressed.

Oct 27, 2014Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you very much for your interview feedback. Of course, we’re disappointed to hear you had anything less than a positive experience with us. We’ve already taken actions to address some of your ... More

Software Engineer Intern Interview

The interview was not very hard. The interview process took the whole day, but it was very nice experience.
    They had "Intern's day" and provided free catered lunch. They also provided web-casting of the whole event.

Interview Questions
    • Interview questions were not technical questions but more focused on projects I worked on   Answer Question

Intern, Open Platform Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Playa Vista, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Rubicon Project in May 2014.

My resume was passed along to HR by a friend who works there. I was contacted in late April for an interview on Friday, May 2. The interview was an all day affair with about 25 potential interns most of whom were computer science majors, like myself. The basic schedule of the day was like this: arrive at 10 and take a tour of the facilities and then hear form current employees and even one of the co-founders. We were provided with a catered lunch, which was delicious and is free everyday to all employees! We then heard from the various mentors who were looking for interns and who we would be working under if we got the internship. We were then interviewed one on one.

I interviewed with Mac and Marcus, who were extremely friendly and provided me with a great interview experience. They started off by asking me what I would like to be working on said if I was selected they would try to tailor my internship around what I wanted to be learning. After I had finished the technical question and was talking to them, Mac gave me some really simple, but very helpful advice on how to make my programs run faster. I really appreciated that since it is something that I will be able to use anywhere. I heard back the following Thursday that I received the internship.

Interview Questions
    • Take an int such has 123 and produce a string in the format "100+20+3" Use any language   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Playa Vista, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Rubicon Project in May 2014.

I had a pleasant experience interviewing with Rubicon Project(tRP). I got the call through a friend referral. All interviews were onsite. Travel was not reimbursed.

On the interview day, they have called all other intern candidates and we were given a presentation about the company, what they do, their culture and the co-founder and CTO addressed us.

To be honest, I hadn't know much about tRP before the interview and was expecting a very tough interview since it was a small-medium company. But on the contrary, the interviews were really simple. I discussed about my experiences, academic projects and was barely asked a few technical questions. I guess it might be because the company didn't a formal process for hiring interns. I was given the option to interview with more than 1 team. All the people I interviewed were very pleasant and highly technical; they knew what they were doing and answered my questions about the projects they worked on.

Interview Questions
    Non-negotiable, the HR guy was unyielding.