Rubicon Project Interview Questions

Updated Mar 25, 2015

2.8

Culture Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Playa Vista, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Rubicon Project.

First interview was via phone. Very casual and basic, "tell me about yourself" type of call. Received next interview in office. Interviewed by three in office. Very nice people, everyone was open and welcoming. The interview was a successful experience.

Position of People Team Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Rubicon Project.

1) Phone screening (30 mins)
    2) 1:1 In person interviews with both hiring managers and two folks on the hiring team (3 hrs)
    3) Final interview with executive head of team (45 mins)

One of the most pleasant interviewing experiences I have had. Everything was so well coordinated - shows that they respect my time. Candidates receive a tour, water, and snacks (if interested).

Interview Questions
    • Many situational questions based on job responsibilities   View Answer

EBS Functional Interview

Anonymous Employee in Playa Vista, CA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Rubicon Project in March 2015.

After the initial phone screen, onsite interviews were scheduled in advance(about 1 week). Clear directions to offices provided with full disclosure of interviewer schedule. Opened with nice tour of facilities and completed interviews with mix of both Business and Technical team members. One interview involved a Skype call and we encountered minor connection issues. Snacks and drinks generously provided throughout. Interview completed ahead of schedule. Overall, a great experience, well-organized in a vibrant facility.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly situational(what if) questions requiring prior knowledge or job role competence   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Rubicon Project in March 2015.

First round was a telephonic screening, followed by a Skype call. After clearing those rounds, selected candidates are invited to the "internship" day, where the candidates are introduced to the company, office space, and team introductions by various managers. After that, the team interviews begin (by the team that was initially interested in you). Each interview lasts for 20 minutes. You also get to interview with one extra team that you are interested in.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the question were related to previous experience and knowledge. The technical questions were moderately easy to solve due to the 20-minute interview schedule.   Answer Question

Product Marketing Role Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Rubicon Project.

Initial phone interview w/ hiring manager, then in-person interviews with core team members. Phone interview was very straightforward - probing on skills, background/experience after an initial run down of team and role from the hiring manager. In-person interviews with head of product, and 2 other team members that would interact with the position. All personnel were extremely professional and very impressive...very nice, down to earth/no ego issues, super smart and engaging. Took time to explain technical aspects of the role (important for those coming in without Ad Tech experience), very open to people of diverse backgrounds. Majority of interviews felt like really engaging conversations between interesting people talking about interesting stuff vs. traditional interviews...except for a few straight-out-of-bschool case type questions to 'see how you think' from one [more junior] interviewer (i.e. what is your favorite ad, how would you recommend a tv strategy for Rubicon and how would you go about evaluating the market opportunity of a teleportation device). Company HQ was also impressive - values/mission very apparent throughout, not just posted but clear that the org makes an effort to live/reinforce the value every day. Also as an aside, best driving directions/building & parkig info packet I have ever seen, which showcases company's attention to detail and customer orientation. Overall great experience, great company!

Interview Questions
    • how would you create a positioning statement for the google automatic car? (see above comments on case questions)   Answer Question

Feb 9, 2015Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your feedback! We appreciate your feedback and we're glad to hear you had a positive experience.

Specialist, Seller Accounts and Specialist, Platform Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Rubicon Project.

The interview process was very well organized and clear. Both of the receptionists were very nice and welcoming. I met with three different people in the departments that the positions I was applying for are in. All of them were very nice and enthusiastic about the company. The interviews felt more like a conversation than an interrogation. They asked me plenty of questions, but also gave me the opportunity to ask them plenty of questions.

Interview Questions
    • Not unexpected, but what is my greatest weakness. An expected question that I have trouble with sometimes.   View Answer

Feb 9, 2015Director, Talent Acquisition

Glad to hear you felt welcomed and that you had a positive experience. We strive to do our best and feedback helps keep us on the right track. Thank you!

Ad Ops Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Rubicon Project.

Discovered opportunity online and applied. There was an Initial phone interview followed by 5 in person interviews. Everyone was very nice and all were willing to answer questions that I had.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Rubicon Project in January 2015.

Teleconference and in person interviews with multiple engineers and managers. Had 4 different telephone/video chat interviews with technical questions as well as an onsite interview with multiple 1 on 1 meetings.

Interview Questions
    • General software engineering questions to determine general knowledge and skill.   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Playa Vista, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Playa Vista, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Rubicon Project.

My interview process was great from the initial contact right through to my last conversation. I met with employees from the HR & People team as well as the Technical teams. Everyone I met with was professional, engaging and personable. They all had great things to say about the company, were honest about what would be expected, were open about any previous issues that others have had in the role and they all left me feeling eager to be part of the company.

The recruiting team were very helpful, informative and friendly. They kept constant communication and provided me with all of the information I needed/requested.

Oct 30, 2014Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your feedback! We're glad to hear you had such a positive experience.

Data Scientist Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Rubicon Project in October 2014.

The interview process had three steps: phone and skype calls, homework, and an on-site interview. The homework was given after a skype call and it involved writing a piece of code for a problem in a language of your choice. The on-site interview took place in Playa Vista, CA. It started at 10:30am and finished at about 2:30pm. (I was given an option to schedule it such that it fits the first or second half of the day.) I spoke with five people for about 45 minutes with each. A typical interview session involved technical questions, coding problems, and a discussion about my experience and the role. Had a nice lunch. At the beginning and the end of the interview I was given a tour of the building where the company is located. The entire interview process was efficient, well-organized and enjoyable.

Oct 27, 2014Director, Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your feedback! Our team is very conscientious about candidate experience. Your input and the input of others helps us continue to refine what we do so that candidates can have experiences ... More