Rubin Museum Of Art Interview Questions

Updated Mar 24, 2015

Interviews for Top Jobs at Rubin Museum Of Art

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Rubin Museum Of Art (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview was conducted in a very casual manner. Not in a formal setting but next to Rubin cafe. The questions were also fairly simple. Somehow I did not get the opportunity mainly because they have strong preference for students with art history background for the intern that was available at the time.

Interview Questions

• Why you choose Rubin Museum? Questions related to academic backgrounds. And how the intern will be helpful for one's future career.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rubin Museum Of Art (New York, NY) in April 2012.

Interview

Applied via email, one phone interview.

Interview Questions

• Questions were fairly standard-- Why would you be good for the job, What do you want to get out of the summer...   Answer Question

Development Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rubin Museum Of Art in February 2011.

Interview

In February 2011, I went through a smooth interview process at the RMA for a mid-level position with their development team. Everything went very well and I landed the job - but offer was very suddenly rescinded after an attempt to negotiate for an additional $2k in salary. I called after I received my offer in writing and prior to signing my contract, asking if it were possible to be salaried at $40k as it was more in line with compensation for a development coordinator salary at a cultural institution in Manhattan. The HR manager at the time, who had been nice if a little scatterbrained, stated that she would gladly check for me. Approximately an hour later I received a phone call from the same manager with a totally different tone of voice. She stated that not only did they approve, but that they would NOT move forward with the job offer for me. Moreover, she chastised me for even asking, repeatedly stating, "We really do not like that here." At the time, I was working in a shared office with a supervisor who was supportive of my application for this job and provided one of the references. My supervisor, who witnessed the whole event, stated that she had never witnessed such a breach of professionalism in her 30+ years of working in fundraising for cultural institutions in NYC. I know people in the field, and I've been told that the HR manager no longer works there. Proceed with caution with regards to salary negotiations - Lean In this isn't.

Interview Questions

• My job offer was suddenly declined after I politely asked (over the phone) if it was possible to raise offered salary from $38k to $40k, even when I made it clear that it wasn't a hard bargain and I was more than willing to work there if it were declined. Very, very unprofessional. An email chain of events is available as well as multiple witnesses during the phone call.   Answer Question

Should say yes, but very unprofessionally rescinded. Thankfully, the HR manager responsible for this abhorrent behavior is no longer with the organization. Being that I was an early experience in my professional career, it affected me deeply and made me less confident professionally.

Visitor Experience Guide Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Rubin Museum Of Art (New York, NY) in April 2010.

Interview

The Human Resources Manager called me after I sent my resume. She was really great and friendly. Was obvious she knew exactly what the job was all about and that I needed to have a flexible schedule. After I met with her I then met with the Visitor Experience Manager and Assistant Manager. Both were really knowledgeable and excited to hear about my background and how I wanted to create tours for people with disabilities and work with the Programming team to bridge the Cabaret Cinema crowd into the galleries.

Interview Questions

• What was thing you liked most about your last job and the thing you liked least. Describe how you would handle a 'tough customer'   1 Answer

Negotiation

I negotiated and got $0.50 more an hour and a better work schedule.

PR Interview

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Rubin Museum Of Art in December 2010.

Interview

Sent in resume in response to website offer, was contacted within a few days. Pleasant conversational interview. Was asked about previous experience and interest in Himalayan art.

Interview Questions

• How did you get interested in Tibetan/Himalayan art? Why Rubin?   Answer Question